Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Where to send tensile coupons?
- - By newinsp (**) Date 12-11-2012 15:20
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced, and reputable, testing company that I can ship tensile coupons to for milling and testing?  I found a place in India that does it for dirt cheap but couldn't find reviews on them. 

Thanks
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-11-2012 17:11
The shipping would be totally outrageous.

You need to deal with people you know and preferrably are local to you.  There are times the testing should be witnessed by you, not just sent off and get a paper back.  There are critical methods employed in the testing that on occassion get handled incorrectly when technicians are not held accountable.  Just like with welders and even inspectors.  Timing of a process, temperatures- from an oven or cooler, then left while they break for lunch, etc. 

There are many across the country.  Where are you at?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-12-2012 11:34
yeah seriously newinsp google search and call around find a place close to you and buiild a relationship with them.  You never know when you may need other services.  I have about 5 companies within 1 hr of me and have used three of them for different occasions.  Tesniles are fairly cheap to have done, a couple hundred dollars, not too bad.
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 12-12-2012 14:26
A buddy of mine is a machinist at a large shop (50+ employees), over an hour away, and he said that they send their coupons off for tensile tests.  He doesn't know where they are sent. 
Yep, I'll continue to search locally. 
Thanks
Parent - - By newinsp (**) Date 12-12-2012 14:14 Edited 12-12-2012 14:26
I'm in NC, about 90 minutes from Chesapeake/VA Beach/Norfolk, VA.  I'll keep web searching.  I wanted to get it done this month.
Thanks
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-12-2012 14:23
Now that we know your location maybe some of the guys in that vicinity can give you some help.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 12-12-2012 14:32
The next scheduled AWS section meeting (Tidewater Section, District 4) is Jan. 10.  I'll ask the guys there too.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-12-2012 14:49
Here is one in Chesapeake:
http://www.si-tech.us/testingservices.asp
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 12-13-2012 14:51
Thanks!  I'm sending them an email.
Parent - - By pipes (**) Date 12-12-2012 16:23
I used Element for years (formally know as Stork). I have our Metallurgy dept do it now, but Element is incredibly professional and easy to work with. Last time I quoted with them it was $198 to machine and pull tensiles on plate per ASME Section IX Procedure Qualification standards. There is an Element lab in Charlotte NC:

http://www.element.com/locations-index/locations/element-charlotte

Check 'em out, you will not be disapointed! -JJ
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 12-13-2012 14:52
Thanks!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Where to send tensile coupons?