Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME QW-409
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-11-2012 20:40
I am looking at QW-409 Procedure variables for GTAW, specificlly 409.8. Can someone please tell me what the letter I and the letter E stand for. Thank You
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-11-2012 21:04
amp/volt range

QCRobert
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-12-2012 19:16
That's what I figured. So the "I" is amps and the "E" is volts?
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-12-2012 19:19
Yes Sir.

Are you  reviewing and/or approving WPS/PQRs?  If so I can send you information (checklist) on how to accurately check them.

QCRobert
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-09-2013 15:05 Edited 01-09-2013 15:40
On the WPS for FCAW these are non essential and need not show up on the WPS......is that correct? im asking cuz im having a hard time with a WPS i have, and looking at this my self it seems that its acceptable but.......ive never seen this and i feel im really missing something.ASME sect IX
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-09-2013 19:04 Edited 01-09-2013 19:11
The WPS is there to give direction to the welder so the I/E range needs to be there.

For a WPS you need to specify
Variable Ranges
Essential Variables
Nonessential Variables
any other directions you deem necessary or helpful

For PQR you need to record
Actual Values
Essential Variables
Tests and of course, Results
any other data

For WPQ you need to record
Value
Tested
and then specify
Range of the Value
Qualified To what was Tested

Welding variables are required only when ref by the process in QW-250 or QW-350.

I didn't feel the need to touch on supplementary essential variables since you did not inquire but see QW-401.3 for those (when applicable apply to both WPS & PQR).

Hope this helps,
QCRobert
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-10-2013 20:21
Where can i find in the code so i can read it please
ill need to check the section again in the morning.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-10-2013 20:45 Edited 01-12-2013 14:20
Are you looking at a WPQ Welder Performance Qualification format, which would not indicate volts/amperage.

Check your QW-482 WPS Welding Procedure Specification format under QW-409 Electrical Characteristics where you must write in:
layers of weld or passes
process
classification
diameter
type and polarity
amperage range
voltage range
travel speed
other remarks (comments, addition, technique, torch angle, etc)

Again you should use a QW482 format...........  what exactly are you looking at?  Please post a pix here.

QCRobert
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-12-2013 18:50
Where can i find in the code so i can read it please
ill need to check the section again in the morning.

Mikeqc1,
Go to QW-200.1 (b), it states "Contents of the WPS. The completed WPS shall describe all of the essential, nonessential, and when required, supplementary essential variables for each welding process used in the WPS."

Hope this helps,
QCrobert
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-09-2013 15:07
Can i have that check list?
mkniolek@artisanind.com
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-10-2013 13:54
Will send you & JSD some checklist information that may be benificial.

QCRobert
Parent - By Markzhou Date 02-25-2013 08:42
qcRobert,I also want that checklist .Could you please send me one.806228672@qq.com Thank you very much
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-14-2013 14:55 Edited 01-14-2013 15:00
ASME Section IX, Article II includes tables for each welding process listing the essential, nonessential, and supplementary essential variables. As stated in one of the posts, the PQR must list all the essential variable and when applicable (toughness testing required) the essential variables. The WPS must include both the essential and nonessential welding variable, and when required for notch toughness, the supplementary essential variables.

When reviewing a welding documentation package submitted by a contractor, I use those tables found in Article II as the basis of my review. I check the PQR to verify all the required  information is listed (including the appropriate signatures and dates), then I compare the WPS to the PQR and check the ranges to see they comply with ASME requirements.I also check for the appropriate signatures and dates, and last but not least, I compare the welder performance test record to the WPS and verify the qualification ranges are appropriate.

One point I would make is that if the nonessential variables, such as arc voltage, welding current, and travel speed, are not recorded while welding the test coupon, what is the basis of listing those variable in the WPS? Evidently the answer is "you pull them out of your butt." Not a very rational solution to the problem in my humble opinion. It is a good argument to record the welding parameters used for each weld bead and an argument in support of having someone present (a test witness) to record the data. Contrary to some responses I have received from various contractors’ QC managers, few welders can record the data while they are concentrating on depositing sound welds.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-15-2013 13:55
Contrary to some responses I have received from various contractors’ QC managers, few welders can record the data while they are concentrating on depositing sound welds.

We've met some of the same people.:eek:

QCRobert
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-17-2013 00:52
thank you very much i did go back to the "begining" and found what you pointed out. thanks for the help.
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 02-25-2013 14:40
Dear Experts
Hope attached helpful
Thanks
Attachment: WPS-PQRCHECKLIST.pdf (55k)
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 02-25-2013 14:44
Dear QCRobert
Pls send me your checklist - gane2478@hotmail.sg
Thanks
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 03-02-2013 17:18
Can someone clarify what I suspect is a misunderstanding on my part?  The post above that attached a PQR checklist which lists certain variables as non-essential indicates in the notes that changing these variables on a WPS does not require a requalifiction of the weld.  For example, position and/or groove design according to the attachment are non-essential for SMAW welding.  Would this mean a PQR could be qualified for a 1G coupon by one welder of limited skill, and the resulting WPS could then be altered to a 6G position to be used to qualify a different welder to a 6G Welder Qualification?  That seems very odd to me and would appreciate correction of my understanding.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-02-2013 21:14
Nalla,
That checklist, is that something you or your company put together or is it an official ASME or other reputible organsiations checklist?

I ask only as I want to make sure it is correct and that I don't referance it and maybe their is a mistake in it as this is the first time I have seen a document like this.
Let me know,
thanks
Parent - By Nalla (***) Date 03-03-2013 10:38
Dear Eekpod

Something myself and one my client senior welding inspector preapred the table for easy ref.

Pls advise if there is some error

Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME QW-409