Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualification question.
- - By 68Stank (*) Date 12-13-2012 03:01
Preparing for an inspection on a tower. The welder who performed the work is qualified to D14.1 but the engineer's specs call for D1.1. Is he qualified to perform this work?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-13-2012 03:55
What kind of tower?  If it is part of equipment that is built to D14.1 it may be possible.  While the welder would be qualified per D14.1 the engineer could still specify that the inspection criteria was to D1.1.  And, though I don't have it with me to check, I believe it may be similar to a discussion currently here that one test may qualify to both as the D1.5 and D1.1 can both be qualified to with just one test. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-13-2012 13:02
Brent,
The decision to accept D1.5 certification for welding on D1.1 work is based solely on the acceptance of the Engineer.
There is nothing that I can find that automatically allows a D1.5 qualified welder to weld on D1.1 work.

Subject: Qualification to Other Codes
Code Edition: D1.l-86, Dl.1-92
Code Provision: Commentary (34.2, (3.4.3
AWS Log: ID 1-90-045-03
Inquiry: (1) Is it the intent of D1.1 to address qualification to other codes?
(2) May the Engineer accept qualification of welders qualified to other codes?
(i) No. See (3.4.2 (Dl.1-86) or (3.4.3 (D1.l-92).
(2) Yes. See (3.4.2 (D1.l-86) or (3.4.3 (D1.1-92).

Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-13-2012 13:24
Shane Feder

I believe what the intent of Brent's statement was that if a welder qualified to AWS D1.5, since the requirements were more stringent than AWS D1.1, the Qualifier could write welder Qualifications for the welder for AWS D1.5 and D1.1 also. So when a job came up for either code the welder would be documented to do the task.

Marshall
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-13-2012 13:45
Marshall,
I have no problem with your statement - I agree totally.
What I was trying to say was the decision to accept your D1.5 qualifications for D1.1 work rests solely with the Engineer.
He can accept or reject primarily because there is nothing in AWS D1.1 that mentions the acceptability of D1.5.

4.2.2.1 Previous Performance Qualification. Previous
performance qualification tests of welders, welding
operators, and tack welders that are properly documented
are acceptable with the approval of the Engineer. The acceptability of
performance qualification to other standards
is the Engineers responsibility to be exercised
based upon the specific structure, or service conditions,
or both.

AWS D1.1 2004 mentioned welders qualified to B2.1 but that has been removed from the 2010 edition,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-13-2012 14:41 Edited 12-13-2012 14:49
Shane,

I can accept that my wording may not have been as perfect as it could have been in describing my intent.  Marshall is correct in expanding upon the thought process.  I believe my statement was clear enough and I never stated the welder would definitely be accepted by the engineer, but that the welder could be qualified under both codes while only having to take one welding coupon test IF the examiner wrote up two certifications from the coupon (as long as the test met the requirements of both codes, which appears easily done).  And I referenced another thread currently under discussion in this forum.  At that point the engineer's opinion/acceptance is not an issue.  The welder has both certifications and they are properly done. 

And as to the OP question then, I still believe that it is quite possible the same goes with the relationship between D1.1 and D14.1.  I still have not been able to get to my D14's as I am working 100 miles away from my shop.  But there are many deferments made in D14 to D1.1 as to welding and inspection criteria if I remember correctly.  But, it will depend upon the wording of that relationship, especially if the welder did not get certifications stating he was qualified to both when he tested.  Then, it would be as you say and the engineer, or company whose jurisdiction the work was being done under if no engineer is involved, would decide if the welder's qualifications would be acceptable for the work at hand. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 68Stank (*) Date 12-14-2012 10:11
The tower is a cell tower. So it seems to me that I should check with engineering and let them make the determination on whether or not to accept his D14.1. Thanks for the thorough responses.

I have been considering getting into bridge work as well so I am keen to understand more on D1.5. In particular how I go about expanding my inspection cert to cover it.

Thanks, Dane
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-14-2012 11:42
68Stank

Not knowing what inspection cert's you have or going to need in the inspection capacity you are getting into, (weld,paint,concrete,...) that is a hard question to answer.

If you have AWS CWI all you should need is the current AWS D1.5 Bridge Code.

Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-14-2012 12:11
Marshall is correct, all you need is the Code Book.  You are certified, you can inspect to any code.

But, to prove you are familiar with the book you can take the AWS Endorsement Exam for D1.5.  Helps a little.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 68Stank (*) Date 12-16-2012 01:04
My Cert is D1.1. Thanks for the good info. I am new to the inspection field, certified in April, so I plan on spending more time inspecting towers and refining my knowledge of D1.1. In the mean time I may start reviewing D1.5 and look for an opportunity to take endorsement exam. Thanks for everyone's help.

Dane
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-13-2012 11:57
68Stank

This may give you more insight on is that Welder Qualified?

http://www.aws.org/itrends/01-04/qualified.html

Hope it Helps more than Hurts

Marshall
- - By Shahabi Date 12-17-2012 05:49
Can corrosion test be required for qualification of WPS?
The reson i asked this question is that I have not seen in a sample PQRs of AWS and ASME that includes this test.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-17-2012 14:50
Corrosion testing may be required by job documents and out of engineering requirements due to a particular application.  They are not part of the WPS qualifying through the PQR system. 

I do know that when I worked a piping job on acid and Hydrogen Peroxide lines at a micro electronic component plant all their procedures had been well testing for both the base metals and the acceptable welding fillers and processes as to corrosion resistance maintained after welding was completed.  Then they chose out the PQR's and established their WPS's when they knew which process was going to meet their needs best.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualification question.