Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Problem with dead battery on Bobcat NT
- - By cawelder (**) Date 01-30-2003 23:54
I dont know if any of you guys can help me or not, But I have a Miller Bobcat 225 NT. The problem I'm having is that the battery keeps dying while the welder isnt in use. I can jump it off using the battery on my truck and after it runs for a while, it will crank on its own. So I know the welder is charging. I have been through four batteries now and everyone lasted about two weeks. They do fine as long as I run the welder on a daily basis, but if it sits for a couple of days then it will go dead. Has anyone else had a problem like this, or know how I might go about fixing it. The machine is out of warranty and I dont want to spend alot of money getting it repaired. Especially if its something minor like a bad fuse or something.

Thanks Chuck
Parent - By mcwelding (**) Date 01-31-2003 00:20
hey chuck,
call miller or the nearest supplier. im sure someone will help before you would have to take it in. im sorry thats all i can suggest. did ya check all yer connections? i dont think you got 4 bad batteries. do ya got a voltage meter? you should read more than 12v while it is runnin. maybe like about 14v. i think anyone who is educated on 12v systems should know.
rich
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-31-2003 05:14
Disconnect the wires from the alternator. With an ohmmeter check resistance from battery terminal to case, reverse the ohmmeter leads and check again. Should read very high resistance one way usually low the other way. Low both ways indicates a bad diode, which will allow the battery to discharge through the alternator. It still may charge although not as well as it should.
Bill
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 01-31-2003 13:32
Chuck, check two things before you call a service repair company. 1) Are you leaving the kill switch on? I have custom tarps on all of my gas drives when not in use and it is very common for the switch to accidently get flipped on. 2) Pull the ground wire off, insert a 12 volt test light between the disconnected ground and the battery terminal, did it light with the kill switch in the off position? If so you have a short somewhere. If not, "probably" a short is not the problem. Also, another short term alternative if you cannot find the short or for whatever reason can't get to a good repair center, disconnect the ground cable when you are not using the welder.

Mike Sherman
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Problem with dead battery on Bobcat NT