Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ID stamps/stencils welder for traceability on D1.2 aluminum
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 12-15-2012 20:19
I’m seeking information/help on ID stamps/stencils welder for traceability on D1.2 aluminum products.

(A little background) The shop that I work for mostly does D1.1, D1.3, D14.1, D17.1 and TACOM is usually deferred to D1.1. For the Structural steel work we have punch stamps issued to each welder and we typically put them in the area of the part ID (as not to introduce a stress riser in a critical area.)
Until now the aluminum welding has be limited enough so that we have only one welder work on a specific product.(Welder traceability was easy, only so-n-so welds said part.) Now the shop is bidding on larger aluminum jobs that will require multiple welders to weld the same style parts and I lose welder tractability.

How do I control welder traceability on D1.2 work? The issue hasn’t came up yet but I sure it will and I want to be prepared.

Thanks for the help
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 12-16-2012 01:20 Edited 12-16-2012 16:47
D1.2, 5.5.5 might help you out.  You might also keep in mind what effect, the type of marking you use, will do to anodizing, if that is in the mix.

Doug
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 12-16-2012 12:57
Thanks for the reply, my D1.2 is at work. I will look for 5.5.5on Monday and yes some of the arts will  be anodized.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 12-17-2012 01:52
To clarify, D1.2, 5.5.5. concerns the Inspector.  You may be able to use that clause to develop a welder tracking system for your D1.2 situation.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-17-2012 00:54 Edited 12-17-2012 04:43
I know of no AWS structural weldin code that requires the welders to stamp their welds. Is this a customer imposed requirement?

Al
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 12-17-2012 01:50
I've keep seeing this requirement in contract documents.  It is not uncommon for it to be a requirement for CJP welds subject to D1.8.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-17-2012 04:42
But is it a customer requirement or code requirement?

Most clients use a weld map when traceability is required. However a weld map is of limited use unless the parts are serialized when multiples of the same component are required.

I suppose it would be possible to mark the components with the welder's ID using a paint marker. Once the parts were accepted by VT or other NDT, positive ID may not be required. It all depends on what the customer/Owner requires. If permanent ID is required the client/Owner should specify what would be an acceptable means of identifying the parts.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-17-2012 14:40
My personal encounters with anything close to this, which I am on one right now being fabbed in Flagstaff and going to San Diego, is that they are 'marked' and the fabricator keeps record of who worked on which members (all are numbered per engineer plans and shop plans) and exactly which welds on the member they completed.  I have had a couple of welds that had three different welders work on the CJP's.  All put their ID by it with the approx passes they did.

This is part of the Fabricators QC program, they do so on all jobs not just the D1.8 jobs going to CA.  Paint sticks are used with recorded welder ID's. 

Now, D1.8 says:  6.13  Welder Identification  "The Contractor shall establish and implement a means by which the welder(s) welding on each joint can be identified and associated with the specific joint.  Stamps, if used, shall be the low-stress type." (emphasis mine) 

I have not been asked to follow through with any other records.  BUT, this did allow us to isolate a problem toward the beginning of the job when 3 out of 5 UT rejects we had were from the same welder.  Suddently rejects have become minimal. 

I have not heard of a permanent stamp being part of the contract documents.  As Al stated, maps are used often and usually it is the Fabricator's responsibility.  Our responsibility as TPI on the job is just to make sure the in house QC is completing all of their contract obligations including the record keeping of such items.  This does not mean such requirements do not exist.

My main emphasis would be to state: Don't go by hearsay from another inspector.  Check your applicable Codes and Contract Documents.  And just because the customer has called for detailed weld mapping doesn't mean you are the one responsible for doing it.  Also, when dealing with CA hospitals you need to see if it is an OSHPD requirement; CA schools you need to check with DSA.  My customers generally inform me of whose standards I am inspecting to and what specifics that entails.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-17-2012 20:05
Good points!

Al
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 12-18-2012 23:13
Thanks for the replys,

The code D1.2:2008 doesn't directly say STAMP, But identification of the welders is.

Clause 3 -- 3.17 Identification of Welders, Welding Operators, and Tack Welders.
Each qualified Welder, Welding Operator, and Tack Welder shall be assigned an identifying number, letter, or symbol by the Contractor, Fabricator, or Manufacturer, which shall be used to identify the work of that person.

Weld maps help in identifying the locaton of suspect defect, but when we are mass welding by multiple welders on identical weldments,typically the welder ID stamp is part of our internal or customer traceability production control process. Additionally it makes good sense because when an issue is discovered it makes quarantine of the suspect welder’s product much easier to segregate. An example is during weld cell audits if I or the external auditor were to find a welder using the wrong shielding gas or out of range of any WPS parameter we can quarantine their product back to the last acceptable audit or process inspection documented, until determination can be made for rejection, use as is, or EOR deviation.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ID stamps/stencils welder for traceability on D1.2 aluminum