Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / which code applies
- - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 12-15-2012 22:31
Hi im hoping someone out here  can enlightgen me im currently working
on a natural gas pipeline installing pig launchers and recievers, normally in southern calif
the utility companies got together and created thjeir own weld standards that  work along
with api 1104.the contractors welders move freely among the participating utility companies.
thed job im on kis not owned by the utility companies bjut by a city. when this job started i '
asked for weld procedures specs and the wpqr that qualified the wps. i wasgivedn a set of standards from
the local gas company thast states welding shall be performed under gas co standards zand also comply
with api 1104 asmed sec ix for testing asme secb31.8pipeline and49cfr192  all of the swelders are certified thru the local gas
company but they are not certified to weld on this pipe unless the city or welding contractor have a welder
qualify a procedure. i wsoujld bewilling gto accept current gas company papers in leiu of testing all the welders if the
engineer is on board with this. the local gas company will not let the city use their wpqr , this job is going on 3 weeks now and
i ask everyday for documentation, i can geta firm answser as to what code im suppose go be inspecting too the gas co callls for alll weld fittingsd
larger than 12 to be back welded but with a 3r 90 you cant reach the welxd thru the fitting so you  have to hazve a short pup close to the ends of the 90s
so you can weld inside the fitting now after backwelding the penetration is out of parameters. asme sec 1x clearly states that all companies will have
wpqr and wps in their own name if they somehow get the gas co gto allow them to use thjeir  wpqr and wps  they willl be cutting out quite a few welds
to gain access for back welding fittings now throw asme b31.8, into the mix. the dot has been outrhere numerous times and doesn't kmnow whats going on.
he hasnt asked for weld specs  and i was told not tol bring itg tpo his attention. im leanimng towards rejecting every single weld untili i get proper doecumrntation
i have a strong feeling they have no intention of doing anything , they have no weld procedures. no repair procedures nforf the tie in s i have an rt crew
scheduled on tues i asked the company ma n what specs they were shootig to his responce i don't know.im getting increasingly frusrftraited  that nobody
gives  a **** i dont want to be dragged down with this mess i thoughjt after san bruno  thdey were going to taje it seriouxs
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-16-2012 01:02
I would be inclined to drag up. However, if I could not for some unknown reason, I would have to perform a code reconciliation that included all the varying referenced specs and documents.
In effect, the only way to make them all happy would be take each point on a point by point basis and utilize the most stringent criteria.

I am unaware of any code, specification, or other criteria that prohibits a more stringent approach. That would be the only safe path forward that I can see. Then again, it would not be the first time I have told someone to pack sand when they refused to give me the information I needed to be successful. I don't take being set up for failure as you are being very well.
Parent - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 12-17-2012 01:39
IF IT WERENT XMAS ID BE GONE TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE I AM FRIENDS WITH 1/2 THE
WELDERS ON THE JOB AND THEY CRY AND SNIVEL ALL DAY THANKS FOR THE ADVICE
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / which code applies