Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Horizontal Side Bend Issues
- - By welder2 (*) Date 12-18-2012 04:26
Has anyone experienced slippage on a test strap when trying to perform a side bend on a single bevel 1 inch horizontal test? Is there a special method for this because it has never happened with a flat position V groove? The student had a candy cane shaped strap when completely pushed through the bender and the weld was offset. Please help.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-18-2012 11:44
Ive had this happen on occasion, and it was the particular jig I used and I learnend that it would slide off center as the plunger went into the part.  I just off set my piece as I put it in and they come out fine when I'm done.
I have had where I had to take a second slice out of the remaining center drop to re-test a slice that didn't bend correctly.
It's not the welders fault if QC messed up the bend test,  Our coupons are 6" long not 5" so I have a little extra to take it from.
Parent - - By welder2 (*) Date 12-19-2012 03:21
It's getting to be very aggravating. I'm using a guided bend, not a wrap around. I think a wrap around may work better so one side could be clamped in. I'm assuming the bend is taking the least path of resistance which seems to slide to the square edge until it looks like a candy cane. We are having to offset like you said but its a hit and miss with the many students we have doing this test.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-19-2012 13:30
got a picture of your setup?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-21-2012 00:27
Are both pieces of plate the same material ? I have had to offset P1-P5 ASME PQR bends. Can't remember to which side.

Is your "candy cane" going to the same side of the jig each time?

Is it a roller jig or with a female die. If a doe, check for burrs flat spots etc. If a roller, look at the shaft/bearing/axle on both closely. They may spin free with no load but act differently with a few tons of force.

Have a nice day.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By petty4345 (**) Date 01-11-2013 18:26
I know this an old post but, if you have enough material you could go with longitudinal bends instead. It takes a much longer test plate but, that's what we do with materials of dissimilar strength.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-11-2013 22:14
Plunger and die jigs that are loose or not true (parallel and in line) to each other are bad about "candy caning".
- By jbndt (**) Date 02-10-2013 00:06
Welder 2

Is your plunger knurled?

I recall that Fischer Engineering had knurling on theirs and we had minimal slipping.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
jb
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Horizontal Side Bend Issues