Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Qualification
- - By bmmm Date 12-18-2012 15:00
I did two WPS Qualification per D1.1 2010 one was with AR400 to AR400 mat. FCAW process the other one was with AR400 to A36 mat. FCAW process I know the welder that did the WPS is qualified but do I need to qualify my other welders the same way AR400 to AR400 and AR400 to A36 which would be 2 test for each welder.

Thanks Brad
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-18-2012 16:24 Edited 12-18-2012 16:34
Start by looking at AWS D1.1 Table 4.11

There are many differences in essencial variables when you contract procedure qualification and performance qualification.

Performance qualification variables are much broader in scope than procedure qualification.
Parent - - By bmmm Date 12-18-2012 18:02
So the way that I read Table 4.12 is that if they are qualified in the FCAW process then they are ok to weld as long as it's in that process, I'm just talking processes not position are anything else.
Parent - - By PWCameron (**) Date 12-20-2012 01:15
You are reading that correctly.
Parent - By bmmm Date 12-20-2012 11:46
Thank you for the feedback.
- - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 12-18-2012 17:35
Just a humble question  -  Is  AR  400   within the scope of the metals in any  AWS  D 1.1  ?
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-18-2012 18:27
AR 400 is way outside the scope of the code per the 100Ksi limits in 1.2(2010). That being said, the exact same clause says you can use the code may be used to govern structural fabrications outside the scope of the code, but the Engineer has to bless it.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 12-20-2012 17:52
Getting your tensile pulls to come out per D1.1 is tricky with this material as well.  I believe it states that if the tensile pull fails in the weld material it still has to pull at the minimum KSI of the steel being tested.  Good luck trying to find a wire that comes close to that type of plate.  That might be where engineering has to come into play.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 12-21-2012 21:04
AWS D1.1 applies to structural steel. The Owner or the Engineer can reference AWS for any application where they believe AWS D1.1 would serve their purpose.

In this case, the base metal in question is not prequalified, but there is nothing in the code that says it cannot be used provided the WPS is qualified to demonstrate the welder joint will perform as intended. Notice I did not say the welded joints have to be as strong as the base metal. I didn't include any such qualifiers because the Engineer has the freedom to modify the code to suit their needs. The Engineer can impose acceptance criteria that is more stringent or less stringent than that contained in D1.1. The Engineer can even waive the requirement that the WPS or the welder be qualified in accordance wih D1.1. He might decide that as long as the welded joint doesn't fall apart when dropped from 4 feet, too high, let's make that 3 feet, oops, still too high, let's make that 6 inches, it is good enough or the intnded service.

Now that is out of the way, the Engineer should provide the contractor with a Project Specification that lists any and all changes to the rquirements of D1.1, including the use of an unlisted base metal, so everyone is aware of the ground rules.  

Lots of luck.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Qualification