Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Building a hand crank for a 53 shorthood.
- - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 12-20-2012 17:06
I got an old 53 short hood that I picked up recently. I want to build a hand crank key to fire off my machine and pull off the starter.  The only problem is I am too young to even know what one looks  like. :wink: I have a general idea of what one may look like but does anyone have a picture of one? Also any hints, tips, or tricks on how to properly fire off a machine using one of these?
Parent - - By phil grahek (*) Date 12-22-2012 01:13
Hillbilly there a guy that just re did a short hood over on the welding web sight under my new toy,theres pictures of a hand crank ect. cranks about 3/4 round with a3/16 cross pin to engage the nut that holds your drive pully on.
Parent - - By kswelderman (**) Date 12-22-2012 01:58
hillbilly, did you take my keystone ? im missing one and that looks like it on ur trailer !
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 12-23-2012 03:30
Keith dropped by the house and was giving me some smooth advice on what I should do to this machine. :lol:
Parent - By kswelderman (**) Date 12-24-2012 16:06
good ole Kieth ! hes helped me a time or two.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-22-2012 18:13
http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/handcrank.htm

Here's one on sleezebay,

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/handcrank.htm

My Uncle grew up around cars in this era. If memory serves me correctly I swear he said if you did not do it right you could break your arm. Probably if the tool gets hung up, you hold on, never tried it myself. Was always easier to push the button or turn the key.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-22-2012 18:55
I know a guy who has a heck of a beauty mark from a hand crank on a spike driver.  Probably some "technique" involved.
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 12-23-2012 01:04
When You crank a hand crank DO NOT put Your thumb across the handle. If the engine fires and the handle is jerked from Your hand and YOUR thumb is in the way it gets broken. Never had it happen to me, but I did listen.(for once):lol:
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 12-23-2012 05:37
That is correct about putting your thumb over the handle. We used to hand crank some of our tractors on the farm when I was a kid,and another important thing we were careful to avoid,besides the thumb placement,was to always pull upwards when cranking,never push down,because if the motor ever kicks backward a person can get out of the way when pulling up,but when pushing down the result will surely be a broken arm if the motor kicks backward.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 12-23-2012 12:35
I also remember that you had to reset something (can't remember what) on the magneto on old tractors, every time you began cranking sessions, or you got violent results!
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 12-23-2012 03:52
Thanks Shawn,  I bought this machine the way it sits on the trailer for eight hundred bucks while helping a friend put together a rig truck over thanksgiving at a mutual ranchers place that we know. Low and behold siting in the weeds was this beauty.  After alittle coaxing I got the man to sell it for me and I didn't even know if it ran but I didn't care for that price.  Well I just got home for the holidays and my friend with the newly rigged out truck came over and I said to him lets see if we can touch start that machine off with his.  I cleaned out the rust in the fuel bowl and hooked his leads to this one and within two compresion strokes she came to life and purred like the ole beauty she is. It is all original from what I can tell and I thought how cool would it be to have a hand crank only machine if she starts that easy.  I thought about all kinds of possibilities for it desiel conversion. Completely rebuilt ect with all the new electronics.  But I got to thinking. If she aint broke don't fix it.  So I am gonna leave the old oil bath breather and points and odd looking oil filter intact and just give her a good cleaning and maybe a paint job and run it old school.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-23-2012 06:26
Sounds like you got it for a steal Stan!! I like those old short hoods, like the body style I guess but really don't know. Have lots of people tell me I'm an old soul so maybe I welded with one a long time ago!! Leave it original, anybody can have a diesel machine! Like you said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Probably more reliable as it is and easier to fix. How many guys are going to have the tools or parts to replace a Kubota injector on the line somewhere? A set of points on an old work horse continental not a problem, plugs, carbs, easy. Like we said in the Corps, K.I.S.S, Keep It Simple Stupid. Technology is great but sometimes way more complicated.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 12-23-2012 01:46
I think I still have the hand crank from my old machine but it's to dam cold to go digging in the garage for it. I'll go and see if I can find it tomorrow and take a picture and either email it to ya or post it here.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 12-23-2012 03:55
Chris Post a picture if you happen to run across it

Thanks
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 12-23-2012 04:54
I'll look in the morning
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 12-24-2012 02:35 Edited 12-24-2012 22:10
Found it and gonna try and post, email sent of the handle, I can't remember how to shrink the picture down
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 12-23-2012 02:04
It all goes back to the basics. A good firing system and a feeling for the compresion stroke.The oweners manual gives an insight.Pracitce makes makes you tired.A good second crank start makes you feel like Steve Jobs.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 12-28-2012 17:53
I have a handful of them $30ea
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 12-28-2012 22:40
I call you on monday.
- - By Paladin (***) Date 12-23-2012 19:37
I've started my 1971 SA200 a good number of times with the crank, both with the original magneto and with the electronic ignition now on it. Never had a kickback. I would think that the kick back on early cars and tractors were due to the timing advanced too much. The timing with the magneto on the Continental engines (they are slightly adjustable) does not seem aggressive at all. A good hot mag makes starting much more fun. Just about every time my machine would not start it was the magneto; not a good spark, or wet.

To start with the crank I do this. With the choke on (engine cold) and ignition OFF, pull it thru about four compression strokes. Switch ignition on. One pull will usually start it.
Some machines may not need as much choke.

Hillbilly, if you don't get a picture I will try to remember to take one when I'm back at my shop after the first.

Floyd
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-27-2012 04:06
Those impulse mags retard the spark at cranking speed. Your distributer does too.

On old cars like a Model "T" the spark timing is controlled manually with a handle below the steering wheel where the turn signal is on modern cars.
You start with the spark a little after TDC to prevent it kicking, but must advance it to get any power at operating speed.
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 12-27-2012 14:51 Edited 12-28-2012 02:11
Dave,
That's right. The impulse magneto has a type of spring that holds it back  (when cranking) for a few degrees of revolution, then lets it fly with speed. This will produce a hot spark even at hand cranking speed. I'm not sure what happens with the impulse at running speed.

Floyd
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-28-2012 02:50
At running speed the impulse device does not operate. Been a while since I had one apart, so I won't try to give details.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Building a hand crank for a 53 shorthood.