Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa 200 carburetor
- - By 2003440 (**) Date 12-25-2012 04:38 Edited 12-25-2012 04:43
Hello anyone have a marvel carb they want to sell my welder is a 76 sa 200 having troubles with idle I have a job that this rig needs to be on please let me know if you have a new one or a rebuilt one I will build this one later when i have time also if any of you know where to source a good quality one please let me know thanks and happy Holidays.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 12-25-2012 19:04
Kaye Sellon at Billswelderrepair.com she sells brand new carbs or the rebuild kits whatever you need
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-26-2012 21:59
Like Chris said, call Kaye at Bills or John at Stumpf's. I bought mine from Stumpf's cause I bought my welder from John up there. Either way you can't go wrong with either Kaye or John, both top notch companies and people.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 12-27-2012 00:04
Buying the new carb would be the way to go and you could send your old one to her to rebuild and you could have the Marvel carb as a back up later on. I can't remember the price she charged me but hell you can't beat it, your old carb will come back looking BRAND NEW. When my warranty runs out on my miller and if it breaks i sure hope I can get parts from her because she has helped me so much in the past.
Parent - - By 2003440 (**) Date 12-30-2012 00:05
Thanks so much for the input i lucked out and scored one locally.I cleaned and put a kit in it slapped it back together and shes purrs again.I have been tossing it around to  buy a 200d and maybe sell this machine but this 76 im running on my rig welds just as good as my 68 guess im really gun shy on dumping the dough down on the 200d to be disappointed this 76 is mint guess if somebody tossed me the right money i would let her go and take the chance on the 200d whats your guys input?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-30-2012 02:56
I don't know about a 200d but in my opinion my $3000 already paid for making me a clean profit Sa250 that runs, starts and welds like nobody's business is a lot better that a $12,000.00 or monthly payment 200d. I keep looking for an older backup machine that's as sweet as my current 250. Get one more and I doubt I'll ever consider buying a new one as long as they are running good and making me money. If you got the money though and won't hurt to drop it then it's your call. Buy a $12,000 machine that I really don't need to replace a machine that runs and welds great that is making me money -vs- keeping $12,000 in my bank account to build upon? Me, I'd keep my money in the bank. The new 200d won't make the welds for me and my old machine and my arm pass tests just the same as they would with a new 200d. If the new 200d starts burning rod for me and I can sit in the truck or sit on the back and drink a Sun Drop while it welds away then it might be worth looking into! LOL! That's just my .02 though, but I'm not one for spending money on things to replace things that are working just fine.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 12-30-2012 04:42 Edited 12-30-2012 04:47
I agree with Shawn if it aint broke don't fix it. I'm really the same way if I have something that works well I'm not gonna dump the money on a new shinny machine.
I don't know if I should comment on this but there are others on this forum that have bought the 200d and said they weren't happy with it so you may want to wait and let them chime in on this thread I personally have never welded with the 200d so this is just from what I have read. I have welded with the old sa 200 redface now that was a dam smooth machine.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-02-2013 23:25
Cummings,  If you make  $12,000.00 clear PROFIT after a year of hard work, you ain't gonna sit on it...... Our gooberment is gettin' its "CUT", best thing to do is spend it on "EQUIPMENT"......You can buy a "NEW" pick up and depreciate it all in one year( instead of seven or ten) :cool::cool::cool:Also.......... If your weldin' pipe with your rig and get on w/a contractor, weldin' with an old machine is nice but you better have a back up or at least a plan for one:roll::roll::roll: Because they ain't waitin' for you to get things "straightened out"(was on a job last April, guy in front of me beadin', his machine went down,was from outta town, told him where to go to rent one but was too hardheaded about fixin' his.....ended up gettin' run off) This scared me so bad I went the next day and ordered a new 200d (was using a "78" sa250 diesel that I bought new when I started) Didn't want there to be any chance of losing my"spot at the table":eek::eek::eek::eek:...... ..........Just sayin' gotta look at the big picture!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-04-2013 03:28
If you spend all of your $12,000 on a machine you don't need just because your worried about Uncle Sam getting his cut so the machine can sit around waiting to be used then you might as well set fire to 1/2 of your money. Uncle Sam, your county and your state will bend you over either way. Keep my $12k in the bank, sure I pay some to Uncle sam for income tax. I make less than $100k, have kids, house...deductions he won't get much. I buy a $12k machine, Uncle Sam gets his, my county/state dings me for a tax which they say is not a tax every year for the  equipment I now own. With my $12k in the bank, Uncle Sam gets a nibble but my county/state don't get doodley.

If I had that $12k in the bank I could sit on it for a long, long time. I make money now, build things now, weld and fab things now with the tools I have. $12k in the bank while still being able to do my job and make money without a $700/month truck payment or a $200-300/month welder payment don't sound bad. If my machine lays down and I have $12k in the bank with more coming in then dropping $4k on a new welder or a good clean used welder would be easy. Uncle Sam is going to get his share regardless.

The guy you are talking about sounds like he was hard headed with a head full of jelly if he just didn't run down and rent a welder. Work on the broken one at night at the hotel while using the rental to keep that money rolling in. Scared into spending over $10,000 on a new machine that you really didn't need just because you saw another guys welder fail? I respect the heck out of you smooth but if I bought a new truck for every dodge, ford or chevy I saw on the hook I'd have the largest privately owned fleet of Dodge trucks in the world!! :lol::lol:

Losing your spot? I live that everyday. Bid this job, price on that job and some you get, some you don't. Some cry cause your higher than the cheapo down the street who uses 1/2" square tube balusters -vs- 1/2" solid. Other contractors want you to rush right over and price out sevral railings then when you call them you can't get ahold of them and when you leave multiple messages they never call you back. I look at the huge global picture everyday and months in advance planning out what jobs are in the works, possible, money, bills and so on. I can "lose my spot" on any job on any given day regardless of what my machine does. Move on and find another one. Keep money in the bank so I can pay bills for a couple months at a time and I'm fine. Last year around January it rained like mad. Went out on the pipe job I was working and welder would not start. Guess the ol' gal got water logged from the down pours. Drove the 1.5 hours back to the house on my dime, loaded the ranger on the trailer and brought it back and started welding. Cussed a bit on the way but was nothing I could do, things happen. Lose my spot? Guess I'll go find another spot. This is why I would sit on that $12,000. You never know what is going to break or when and having cash on hand is better than having one extra of everything you own for the just in case moment and taxes.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 01-04-2013 07:42
If you want to piss your money away on taxes go ahead,   Smart prudential people will use it to acquire tangible assets to further their positions/company's and better .their livelihoods.   but hey someone needs to pay for those obamaphones for the well fare recipients and finance the congressional hearings on gun bans.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-04-2013 13:40
So your telling me you guys keep NO money in your bank account. That you spend every dime you have on anything so you can say you've bought something for the business and not have to pay taxes? Around here I'll still pay taxes on the equipment I own for the business. The more equipment I own that is sitting around actually not being used that I just spent money on to get out of paying taxes I will end up paying taxes on anyhow. Sure you can use the old saying, "it's not eating anything" but you would be wrong. You buy a back up, back up machine just to get the tax break and that machine just ate $12k. Then throw in the fact that I'll pay taxes on a machine that did not make me any money because it was just a backup, just in case welder? Then I'm the stupid one?

I'm glad I found out I was stupid at least. Just finished year 5 in a business I have very little experience in doing in a job that I only have five years of experience in and the last two years have been over or very near the $100k mark. To keep money in the bank so I can fund 2, 3 or more jobs for 30-60 days for contractors that take 30-60 days to pay sounds smart to me but I guess I'm doing it all wrong. I can spend all of my money on "tangible goods" that I will pay taxes on every year for years to come or use my money to buy materials to make more money. To keep money in order to finance day to day business operations is stupid, glad to know that. Worked 9 months this year and made nearly $100k gross. Screwed around and did what I wanted for the other three months, man, I'm a real business idiot.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-04-2013 20:32 Edited 01-05-2013 01:47
Cummins, Alot of different routes to get to the same destination, gota remember to look at the big picture.........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: #1 thing you said about a machine going down and YOU have to drive 1 1/2 hrs. each way to get another!!!!!!!!!! If you have a crew or even a helper & weldor waitin' for you to get them a working machine your "SCREWED" because I haven't run into anybody that still don't want paid for that time.........:cry::cry::cry:    #2  If I have a job w/contractor that I've NEGOTIATED a $105.00 /hr. rate with and know I can work 3-4 months of 6-10's and get paid weekly(Fri. am direct deposit) but the boss is a D!@k  H!@ad,  I'm going to watch every step I take....(haven't been scared of no man since my father) but if I crap out w/my "78" and I bring a Ranger 225 I'm gettin' "run oft":yell::yell::yell::yell::yell: ( D.H. "run oft" a hoe operator 1st hr. for bein' on a cell, went and HID my cell in glove box, helper was yelled at  ALL DAY for not movin' fast enough, was told by D.H. he would have hoe bury him if he didn't move faster!!!!!!)!:eek::eek::eek::eek:  #3   "Place at table" begins after you get the job, better get use to not getting all the jobs you bid on ......:surprised::surprised::surprised: (when I researched this subject highest number I could find was 30% success rate) so EVERY job you get you must value/ care for, so there's no screw ups that the contractor/customer can use against you (run off, nonpayment,etc...etc......etc...) #4   As soon as possible get a credit line to run your jobs , NEVER use your own personal finances on funding your work/ materials.  YOU PAID TAXES ON THAT MONEY and now use it for work/business??????? I see guys like you, Tommy, and many more on here who are starting out as one man bands and have nothing but respect for you because I've "been there done that" and progressed to 10-15 guys working and now after 30 years+-....... I've come back to having a shop w/2 men & me working and thats fine by me!!!!!:grin::grin::grin::grin:
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 12-31-2012 20:58
Well, I have a '67 as my back-up (now) and my primary rig is a new 200d with just under 600 hours. I really like and enjoy welding with both machines. The 200d is a good  machine for the most part although I have had a few bouts of the "break-in blues". (stuck a brush right in the middle of a weld, erratic arc... that kind of thing.)
Personally, if I was in your situation, I would keep running those older machines until forced to upgrade to a newer machine or come across a deal that is just too good to pass up. Others have already said it best... don't fix it if it ain't broken. Invest the money back into the rest of your tool arsenal. There's always something to buy to help make you more productive.:wink:
Parent - By 2003440 (**) Date 01-03-2013 06:06 Edited 01-03-2013 13:17
I hear you guys loud and clear ill stick with my proven rig setup and if anything I may throw some polished stainless on her and call it good I need some of the old metal selector knobs if anyone has some let me know please.Also where is best place for quality stainless sa200 stuff?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa 200 carburetor