Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Accredited Test Facility Audit
- - By dlredd (*) Date 12-28-2012 17:46
I am new to the forum, been following it for awhile but never posted. Has anyone been through the Accredited Test Facility Audit process? A local establishment approached me about setting up a program for them to become an ATF. Setting up the program is not a problem and working in the nuclear field I have been through many audits but am curious as to what AWS expects to see during their audit. Any info will be appreciated I just don't want to get blindsided by something unexpected.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-28-2012 18:38
dlredd,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!! 

Lots of info available here, either by utilizing the 'Search' function at the top of the page, or by posting as you have done and see what others respond with.

First, I would recommend going to the link below, it is AWS's website, the certification button, and then down to the section on 'ATF' (Accredited Test Facilities).  There are a couple of links that will give you more info from there as well and a list of technical pubs.  One of which is B5.4 which is going to be your main starting point. 

http://www.aws.org/certification/ATF/

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-28-2012 18:40
Just noticed something totally off topic,  Darrell, spelled just like we spelled it for our oldest son who runs my shop for me.

Again, Welcome.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By dlredd (*) Date 12-29-2012 01:52
Thanks Brent,

Been to that link and downloaded B5.4 and QC-4 (which is what the audit is supposed to be performed to). I also found a 79 page document from Iowa Innovation Gateway (see the link below). But as you know every audit has its own little 'quirks' so I was wondering if anyone has experienced this.......event......and could enlighten me on any special 'quirks' to watch for.

http://iowainnovationgateway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/AWS-Training-Materials.pdf

As for the name, it's good to know there is another Darrell out there. Not a lot people spell it this way and even fewer can pronounce it correctly. To continue off topic....on one project I traveled with an engineer named Darryl. We got a lot of use out of 'brother Darrell' and 'other brother Darryl'.

Thanks again for help. Everyone will be hearing from me again.

Darrell
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-29-2012 02:34
Did you ever work in Tacoma WA? I was QC/CWI at a machine shop there, seen alot of weld procedures with Darrell Redd on them.
Carl
Parent - - By dlredd (*) Date 12-29-2012 02:41
Yes sir, that's me. I hope you didn't find to many problems with them.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-29-2012 02:46
Not many, mostly revised them to update the format. I was there until 2009
They had alot of old timers there, heard your name a few times, nothing bad. LOL
Parent - - By dlredd (*) Date 12-29-2012 02:55
Wow! It is a small world. Glad to hear I didn't screw things up to bad. I was laid off in 2005 when the company sold. It's hard to believe the old timers didn't use my name in vain....they sure did while I was there.

Darrell
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-29-2012 16:33
Double interesting.

While I have been in AZ for the past 16+ years, I worked out of Portland, OR area and worked on log yards all over the NW.  Especially Tacoma, Fife, Seattle, as well as OR.  But, as I have been down here since mid 96 it is not likely we ever crossed paths.  Great area up there in WA.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-29-2012 21:51
I am from Arizona, raised in Flagstaff, moved to Phoenix when I was 18 and worked over 25 years, mostly fab shops there. After moving to WA., I started where Darrell worked, in late 2005, as a welder. After a couple of years their CWI quit, and thats when I took the exam. So If it hadn't been for Darrell getting laid off, I may have never went this route. I Too was laid off in '09 after the economy took a dive. They recently called me back asking if I would be interested in coming back as an inspector/welding supervisor, but I have gone on to better things now. I'm now employed at an inspection company doing third party inspections and learning NDT.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-29-2012 21:56
It is a small world, years ago, I moved to Anchorage for a couple years, My good friend there was from Billings Montana, I told him my best friend in AZ was from there, come to find out they were best buddies in high school and grew up together. so yes, it is small.
Parent - By dlredd (*) Date 12-29-2012 22:14
The world is getting smaller...originally I am from Belgrade, MT...about 150 miles west of Billings.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Accredited Test Facility Audit