Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Questions About Getting CWI
- - By hacksaw (*) Date 12-31-2012 21:51
I've been a welder for 18 years, certified in FCAW/GMAW,SMAW,GTAW. I would like to get my CWI so I can QC/QA inside the petro/chem plants. Is the API 1104 enough to get started in this field, or do I need the D1.1 to obtain stable employment? I'm not sure where to start. And, shouldn't my years of "hands on" welding experience help me in obtaining work in this field?

Also, I was wondering how hard it is to pass the test if I go through the 7 day seminar? I have heard many welders say it is very hard, and is an enormous waste of money if you fail the test.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-01-2013 00:43
Greetings Hacksaw,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

First off, have you checked the requirements in B5.1 'Qualification of Welding Inspectors' to see if you are fully qualified?

Secondly, personally, I think the seminar is very worthwhile.  So are the suggested self-study books. 

As to which exam to take...only you can really decide.  There are many parts of the petro/chemical plants that require other API exams and knowledge, 670 for one.  AWS doesn't offer them. 

The test is very hard, especially for those not experienced in inspections.  I would never consider it a 'waste of money'.  But it is a major consideration. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-01-2013 17:36
Interesting. What part does 670 cover?

I'm finding QC's in many of the plants that seem to know little about welding or have any hands on experience. What qualifications would I need to have, other than 18 years of welding experience and a vo-tech diploma in welding? I haven't read anything about a "B5.1 requirement."
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-01-2013 18:48
B5.1 is the standard that lists the requirements that AWS has specified in order to take the exams.  You need to see if you are qualified according to the standards.  It doesn't matter which code you are taking the exam to, you still have requirements that must be met prior to taking the exams.  So you need to check it out and see if you are qualified.  QC1 is the standard that the exams are run to and your certification will state that you are qualified to the standards of QC1.

Once a person is certified as an inspector to AWS QC1 you can inspect to any of the codes.  But many customers like the new system where you can take an endorsement exam to show that you have a working knowledge of a particular code.  In other words, you may want to take your original exam to API 1104 and then go back and take the open book exam for D1.1.  That will give you the endorsement exam card that will show that you have taken the exam in both code books and proven you have a working knowledge of them.  That way the customer knows you are not totally ignorant of the code they want you to inspect to.

Yes, your years of experience will mean something.  Especially if it is in the same general industry sector you are wanting to do inspections in. 

You need to make the effort to go through the specs and see what qualifications they say an inspector needs to have.  One thing about this forum, we like people to do some of the work themselves.  Don't just ask us.  We will help people find out where to go, but you need to show initiative, motivation, drive, ambition, etc.  The specs will tell you what educational background you need, what work experience you need, what type of character qualities you need, and how many years of those experiences you need. 

You obviously have access to a computer and the internet so you should be able to find much of this yourself.  Including by using the 'Search' function on this forum.  There is much information available here.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-01-2013 23:32
I believe he is refering to API 570 which is the Pressure Piping Inspection Standard. You would do better getting the CWI and getting your feet wet before you start working into the API inspection area.
As for taking the class, anything you do to increase your knowledge is never "Wasted". The people that are telling you that are fools. The test can be passed without taking the class, but you have to be able to take the time to study. The class forces you to focus during the week. And if you do not pass, BFD! Take the thing again. The loosers who you are talking to about the class in one year will still be loosers trying to keep anyone with initiative from progressing.
And when you get to the API test, the odds on you passing the first time are 50/50 anyway.
Take the class and take the test. You are testing the accumulated knoweldge you have aquired over the last 18 years. See just where you stand. If you fail, you know where you are lacking and where you need to study.
Go for it. You can inspect a whole lot longer than you can ever weld.
And remember, as a inspector you have two things to sell, what you know and your integrity.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-02-2013 01:36
Thanks for the correction.  And isn't there another one as well?  I'm not an API guy.  And I agree that he would be starting off right by going for his CWI.  And while I am a believer that more people should go for the D1.1 instead of taking the API 1104 because someone told them it was easier, if you are interested in and currently involved in the piping and refining plants industries then by all means use that to get started.  There is nothing wrong about either decision.  But go for the one you want to be involved with for work.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-02-2013 01:41
"You can inspect a whole lot longer than you can ever weld. "

I like it !
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-02-2013 01:39
I would strongly suggest studying materials related to welding inspection as soon as possible. Whatever books you can get your hands on. Don't depend upon the class for your motivation to learn. There are so many resources available today that are free or low cost . Information online and otherwise that can help expand your knowledge of welding, inspection, and quality control.

Your years of experience can be a help in some cases but what would be more useful are the years of knowledge gained through that time period related to the field of welding inspection. Only you know what that is. "Obtaining Work" can be difficult for some with years of experience and easy for some with little to no experience. There are many variables. However learning more can NEVER hurt. Become familar with reading codes, not a specific code. Be fully aware of terms used in the industry. Wehn you come across one you don't know, look it up.

My point is to start the learning as soon as possible.

"Hard to pass" is a hard one to define. Everybody learns differently. The class cannot hurt anything other than your wallet but it may be a very worthwhile investment. Regardless of pass or fail, only you can make it a waste of money. It is my opinion that being a welder has nothing to do with being a CWI (no more than an air traffic controller must fly a plane),  however being knowledgable about welding and related topics is extremely necessary. And for those who are interested in their career as a welder, they have probably "studied up" on it some. And those to  whom its just the thing they know how to do to make a living, not so much on  the studying.

I think much of an individuals success at a task is based more on their desire and commitment. There are people here of many backgrounds that are extremely knowledgable about all things welding. More than likely, they love what they do and they commit a great deal of time to learning about it.

I am a welder and have been for many years and when I come here and read some of the information, I am reminded of how little time I have spent compared to many.

Another thought. If your hands on experience is in a particular industry, that may be the place to start gaining the inspection knowledge/experience or asking some questions. If your experience is in structural type work, then that may be the industry to start looking at for learning about inspection. Talk to people on the job etc. get an old copy of D1.1 and read it.

I could go on and on but am teaching a welding class right now and break time is over.

Gerald Austin
weldingclassroom.org
Parent - - By Len Andersen (***) Date 01-07-2013 16:40
Hacksaw,
         I am a graduate engineer and took successfully my CWI exam in 1993. The D1.1 has an index which can be helpful in passing an exam. The 1104 is shorter without an index. I had five patents in welding and + 20 years at it and played with practice exams from my AWS local section and got 43. Then I studied. When you get AWS CWI qual I would suggest getting available work to get into the inspection mode. There is few area of welding inspection that I have not done. There some great money days. You might look toward jobs with security. I am the welding fellow for the New York City Bridges at this time. I hope this is helpful.
                      Sincerely
Len Andersen weld@spemail.org
               914-536-7101   / 212-839-6599     8-4 New York Time , 4042 FAX , Co-worker 6381 / 914-237-7689 (H)
POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $1100 per year Caller Box GPO NYC / Most Secure Service At Largest Post Office )
                       www.lenandersen.com
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-09-2013 04:47
Gee Len

You have a short memory about how you studied for your CWI exam!
Parent - By RickSanchez Date 11-12-2015 15:55
JW is an awesome instructor to have if you want to become a CWI.  His classes are always fun and he keeps us interested in the material he trying to teach us.  He taught us more than just what is on the test to become a CWI.  JW works out of Base Line Data in Portland, Texas.  The staff also made the application process easy with their assistance. Here is there number if you want sign up for classes.  (361) 643-3400
- - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-05-2013 00:27
OK. I got my eye exam done, and my employment verification notarized on my AWS paperwork. I still don't fully understand the relationship between AWS and "Real Educational Services" that are giving the seminars. Do I send the money for the seminar to AWS or Real Educational Services? I'm confused at how this process is supposed to work.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-05-2013 01:42
That depends, who are you taking it through?  They are not related.  You are either taking it from AWS, or you are taking from a private organization such as Real Education Services, Hobart, or any one of several others. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-06-2013 00:55
I have a stack of paperwork from AWS and a form from Real Educational Services. Both wanting me to send money. I'm probably going to have to call them directly.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-06-2013 01:45
The exam itself is possibly through AWS so you would have to fill out all their paperwork and get through the qualification process for the exam.  But the seminar could be through RES.  So you would be sending them their fee for the seminar but AWS the paperwork and fee for the exam.

I have not taken the seminar through one of the outside educational institutions so I'm not sure how they operate.  This is the only explanation I can think of.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-07-2013 04:11
WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM hacksaw!!!!!:eek::yell::lol::wink::cool:

This is why it is very important for you to get in contact with the local AWS section in your region...
One can get all types of necessary information from them as well as being a good place to network amongst your peers...

If your confused as to what Real is being paid for and what the AWS is being paid for, then contact both to get the details of each in order to clarify the confusion you may have.

One question if you don't mind me asking... How long have you already been studying and preparing yourself for the exam???
I ask this because, if you think you can go in and take the test without any sort of preparation, chances are that you may not fair well in the exam and just from an economic standpoint, it's not effective in doing so.

So, get all of your ducks in a row before you plan on taking the exam because 3 to 6 months of studying and preparing for the exam beforehand almost guarantees that your score will  be far more successful than walking in blind to test...

Everyone in here gave you some good advice and suggestions so, I won't cover all of the bases since most of them have been already...
However, you must take the time to really learn all you can about measuring defects and discontinuities as well as determining whether or not one is indeed a defect or just a discontinuity... Learn how to read the notes in the part B handbook and get proficient in using both a micrometer and a vernier caliper as well as machinist's steel rulers...

Also, brush up on your fractions and decimal conversions as well as metric conversions... Familiarize your self with the many different types of discontinuities and defects as well as the various non destructive methods of evaluation...

There's probably more that I left out but, this is something you can chew on to get yourself ready and I'm sure more folks will chime in also so that's all for now.
The most important advice/suggestion I can give you is to take as much time as it is necessary in order to fully prepare yourself for the exam.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By HumbleWelder Date 01-28-2013 17:32
In case you haven't already gotten your answer hacksaw, I would suggest that if you are arranging everything through REAL EDUCATIONAL, then give them a call.
I just completed the testing yesterday, (Took the 7 day course). All of the payments went TO Real, however there were checks that had to be made to AWS. The ladies at REAL can walk you through what you need to do over the phone.

FYI, wont know if I passed for a bit, but these folks offer some SERIOUS training and complete immersion in the subject matters.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 01-14-2013 00:43
AWS is the only organization authorized to give the CWI examinations. They have agreements with specific companies that offer the training and the examinations under the auspices  AWS.

AWS also offers the 6 day seminar and offer the examinations on the 7th day as a package deal. Price wise, it is hard to beat their package dal considering the retail cost of the reference materials provided by AWS at their seminars.

I got certified a CWI in 1981. I have attended several CWI seminars over the years just to brush up on what I had forgotten. I always learned something new at each seminar.

No one, and I mean no one, ever leaves the CWI seminar knowing less than they did upon arrival.

Some people do not excel at taking tests. Some people have a difficult time learning new material in the crush of the 6 day seminar. What ever the excuse, the seminar is never a waste of money unless te individual spends more ti,e at the local watering hole than in te hotel room studying.

Words of advice; spend the money to stay at a local hotel so you don't waste time driving back and forth. Two hours of drive time every day is 12 hours of study time lost. Also, leave your main squeeze at home. They are a distraction you don't need if you are going to study for the examinations.

Study all the material you can get your hands on before attending the seminar. I prefer taking te D1.1 open book examination. It offers more job opportunities.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Questions About Getting CWI