Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Unfinished Weld
- - By MILLSCALE (*) Date 01-02-2013 06:41
If in case due to UN-avoidable situation a weld was stop and there are remaining passes to be done let's say on a pipe, what is the minimum weld deposit/thickness is allowed and up to how long unfinished weld can stay like that? Thanks.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-02-2013 15:16
There is always the possibility that other factors would be critical to the exact answer to this question.  Such as material grade, process, applicable code.

But, overall, I see no reason a weld could not be stopped, let sit over the Holiday break, and then restarted.  Obviously, Pre-heat, weld pass cleaning, and other factors would have to be dealt with before striking the arc and continuing with the weld. 

Welds can sit even longer than that.  But, as stated, there may be other factors contributing to an extended period of work stoppage.

The main concern would be the wording of the WPS, especially on some pipe and on special materials.  There will be time periods for how long it takes to complete a pass and how long between passes.  And as you haven't given us any of that, only you can tell.

Then, you say in was unavoidable.  It may take contact with the engineer to get approval for continuing the work. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-02-2013 15:19 Edited 01-02-2013 15:22
I've seen this addressed in the job specs many times, but am not able at this moment to give section/paragraph etc reference to a code.
"Industry Standards" dictate a root and hot pass must be deposited on pipe before abandoning the weld. Procedures often will give a specified depth of deposition, minimum ambient temp or heat maintained etc.
Curiously enough, tacked together is usually OK. I'm assuming the assumption is that any cracked tacks would be removed prior to welding.
Welders like this rule because it gives them the chance to not get in a hurry any where close to quitting time.

AND, I have seen where incomplete welds were removed due to violation of the abandonment.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-03-2013 01:59
I would venture to say it would be dependent on the base metal being welded, the WPS, and the Engineer responsible for the project.

Most welding codes and standards give the Engineer/Owner considerable latitude regarding how something is to be welded. That being said, special conditions should be clearly stated in the project specifications when not addressed by the applicable code. 

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Unfinished Weld