Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Renewal...
- - By d_paul71 (**) Date 01-02-2013 14:40
Hello All,

Hope I am posting this in the correct catagory.

I am a CWI and every 9th year we are to retest or submit proof of PDH hours to continue our certification. 

My question: I am certified to API 1104 currently.  My certification is good until 2018 with submittal of my current work status by 2015.  If I go and take the AWS D1.1 code test this summer, will I be good until 2027, other than the renewal every 3 years? Does the test have to be taken within a certain time frame?  Say, in the last three years of the current certification? 

Thank you,
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-02-2013 14:51
Yes, you would be good until 2027.  You can take an endorsement exam at any time during your nine year time frame and have it count for your nine year renewal. 

The only exceptions are the Bolting and Blue Print Reading exams; Bolting is only worth about 1/3 of the hrs and Blue Prints are about 2/3 of the hrs.  All others are good for 100% of the 80 hrs of PDH time. 

(I'll look it up later and post exact numbers)

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By d_paul71 (**) Date 01-02-2013 15:28
Fantastic, thank you for the reply... 

Thanks again,
Delaney
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2013 15:32 Edited 01-02-2013 15:36
Brent...I don't have the text handy at the moment, but I thought you had to have a certain portion of the PDHs earned in the last 3 yr period for them to count towards the 9yr renewal without testing.
EDIT:
I found my copy of QC1....20 of the 80 PDHs must be earned with the final 3yr period...see 16.4.1
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-02-2013 16:43 Edited 01-02-2013 16:46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QC1:2007 Standard for AWS Certification of Welding Inspectors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The latest edition of AWS QC1, QC1:2007, Standard for AWS Certification of Welding Inspectors, has been approved, published, and goes into effect immediately. The changes are relatively minor, are summarized in its Foreword, and are shown as underlines in the text. The major revisions to QC1 occurred in the 2006 and have carried over into QC1:2007. Shown below is a summary of the some of the most significant changes that had been introduced by AWS QC1:2006.

A Certified Associate Welding Inspector (CAWI) will no longer be able to renew or recertify at the CAWI level. CAWIs must retest and score at the certified welding inspector’s cutoff of 72% to retain any certification.

QC1:2006 also has new provisions to cover retest. If the simple average of the three parts of the exam is 72% or higher, the candidate is allowed to retest on the part(s) that fell below the required 72%. If the simple average is below 72%, all three parts of examination will have to be repeated. If the candidate fails the first retest, subsequent retests require 40 hours of additional training before being permitted to retest.

It is now permitted to take committee-approved supplemental inspection exams (SIEs or endorsements) to enhance one’s inspection credentials. Passing these SIEs not only enhances one’s credentials as a CWI, but may also me applied toward the 9-year recertification. These exams may be taken any time during the 9-year certification cycle for CWIs and may also be taken by non-CWIs who wish to add such supplemental credentials to their resume. Non-CWIs will not be permitted to use these credential toward credits for CWI certification, but must still take and pass the full three-part exam.

I am looking for the proper ducumentation to quote as to the endorsements counting toward 100% of the time for 9 year re-cert.  But notice above that it can be taken at any time during the 9 year cycle.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2013 17:08
Brent,
Might want to look at paragraph 16.4.1 again, I'm looking at QC1:2007, page 7. Reads pretty plain to me in reagrds to counting any training or teaching during the 9yrs to use it towards your total of 80 PDHs.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-02-2013 20:07
16.3 Before the end of the ninth year from the date of initial
certification, and each nine years thereafter, CWIs
seeking recertification shall satisfy either 16.3.1 or
16.3.1 CWI recertification by taking the Part B Practical
examination or by taking a Committee-approved
endorsement, and meeting the requirements of 6.2.2 of
this standard.
16.3.2 CWI recertification by experience and continuing
education. The CWI shall attest to having no period
of continuous inactivity greater than two years in activities
as described in AWS B5.1, Specification for the
Qualification of Welding Inspectors, during the previous
three years of certification, and shall present evidence of
activities meeting the requirements of 16.4 and 16.5 of
this standard.

John, start earlier in QC1.  The first options are: 1) by taking the Part 'B' practical, or 2) by taking a Committee-approved endorsement.  And they state very clearly in multiple locations that the endorsement exams may be taken at any time during the nine year cycle.

Then it goes on into PDH's by training and continuing education of which 20 hrs must be in the last 3 year portion of the 9 year cycle.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2013 20:08
I'm sorry Brent...I was hung up on the PDHs, and the OP was asking about endorsements.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-02-2013 20:22
Okay, well....just to make sure others are also clear, AWS has an info page out that I found but can't attach yet that lists the options available for re-certification.  It also states that the endorsements can be taken at any time during the nine year cycle and count for full credit.

I am also looking for a copy I kept of an email response directly from Miami asking for clarification of this issue.  As I find them I may put them up just so all information is together in one spot and newcomers can see the approved methods of nine year re-certification.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 01-03-2013 16:11
I need to get my PDH on.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-02-2013 16:54 Edited 01-02-2013 16:56
Q: What current endorsements are offered by AWS?

A: Currently, the following examinations or certification programs may be considered as endorsements for CWIs and SCWIs if the candidate passes the exams. All of the codebook exams and the CRI count as full endorsements for 9-year CWI/SCWI recertification if obtained any time during the current 9-year cycle. The Structural Bolting and DrawingReading exam endorsements count for the PDH credits shown in the brackets.
a.AWS D1.1 codebook exam
b.AWS D1.2 codebook exam
c.AWS D1.5 codebook exam
d.AWS D15.1 codebook exam
e.API 1104 codebook exam
f.ASME Section IX, B31.1, + B31.3 codebook exam
g.ASME Section VIII, Div. 1 and Section IX codebook exam
h.AWS Certified Radiographic Interpreter (CRI) program (also a stand-alone program and credential)
i.AWS Structural Bolting Inspection exam (20 PDHs)
j.AWS Drawing Reading exam (40 PDHs)

Thanks for the concern expressed John, but here is the rest of my proof taken right out of the home page for 'Certifications' on the AWS Website.  The 20 PDH's in the last 3 year part of a nine year cycle still applies to PDH's gotten from seminars, submitted papers, teaching, etc. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Renewal...