Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Contactor for a Hobart Handler 135
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2013 17:32
Any idea who might carry one of these?

I was tacking some sheetmetal to a frame yesterday and on the last tack, it quit feeding wire. I jumped out the switch to make sure that wasn't the problem and it still would not feed or make the wire hot....so I'm thinking the lil contactor has gone bad.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-03-2013 01:22
Those little un-hobarts have IC relays in them.  More then likely the relay the trigger is connected to took a dump.  They have a habit of the relays failing and techs replace the board at about 2/3 the cost of the machine.  They are replaceable...but I am sorry I forget where I found them.  If I stumble on it I will send you the link.  First thing trace the trigger/gun wires back to the board and make sure your getting closed/open at the board.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-03-2013 13:06
Thanks Tommy...I'll try to do some additional troubleshooting with my meter on the lil machine and see if that lil relay is the culprit. I haven't opened the case yet, I was assuming it had a set of contactors that pulled in when the trigger closed. I laid a screwdriver across the terminals where the trigger wires plug into the back of the board on the "door side" of the cabinent(nothing happened, no wire feed)....like I stated, I haven't opened up the box yet. I expect the relay didn't like the triggering to tack that sheetmetal to the door frame of my garage.
Post up a link where you found that relay, if you think about it later.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-03-2013 14:18 Edited 01-03-2013 14:32
Thyristor failure is quite common. Try opening the box and jumping the thyristor contacts. Also, a phone call to Hobart's excellent service dept. will likely find a technician who will guide you through test procedures beyond those in your manual, and supply part #s which can be ordered at your local Miller dealer. A search on the Hobart forum will get you much more information, and if all else fails, this outfit has been used successfully by some Hobart users for board repair/replacement.

http://innovatcorp.com/
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-03-2013 14:35
Thanks Ron.
I'll crack open the case and see what's inside. Thanks for the reminder about using Hobart's service department.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Contactor for a Hobart Handler 135