Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certified Welder for a penstock
- - By Euskera (*) Date 01-04-2013 19:46
Hello everybody:

In a hydroelectric project it is required to build a penstock of 3.000 mm in diameter, using helical welded steel sheet S 355 JR (ASTM A 572 Gr 50), with a thickness between 9 mm  and 16 mm. The welding joints in the field (circumferential butt welds) must be made by manual welding (SMAW), according to ASME Section IX. My query is: what are the qualifications for a welder in order to be assigned for this job? Welders with qualification by AWS D1.1 can be assigned to the job? I wonder if it is possible that a member of this respectable forum can show me a Welder Certification Card?,
this in order to obtain some knowledge about this document and avoid the possibility to be deceived with a forgery.

I will appreciate any comments or guidance on this subject.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-05-2013 02:45
ASME IX is not a construction code. It's for qualification of PQR's, WPS's, and testing of welders. The qualification requirements would be those set forth in ASME section IX which simply require they test under the company doing the work.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-05-2013 05:42
With all due respect. (And welcome)

The operators of this hydroelectric project really need to secure the services of somebody that understands welding and applicable codes.

You may very well get the answers to your questions here... This will do very little to ensure quality production and a system that can stand up to an audit.
- By Euskera (*) Date 01-10-2013 22:23
Hello everybody:

Thanks for your comments. I have been studying the Structural Welding Code, AWS D1.1 2010 (especially about the WPS and PQR) and I am learning a lot.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certified Welder for a penstock