Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.4 PQR test results
- By david bean (**) Date 01-08-2013 23:00
Greetings,

Last Year i conducted PQR's for A615 GR 60 as well as A706 GR 60 re-bar. I had #11's pulled and processed according to D1.4 and wrote the company's WPS accordingly. I have know started working for a new company that is in need of the same WPS's. Is it ethical or allowable to use the same qualified PQR's and test results to write a WPS for this new company??? I still have all the original test results, MTR's,carbon equivalent, tinsels,macros etc...  The identical electrode classification and parameters will be used.

So i ran this by a CWI friend of mine many years my senior.  He did not see a problem with it, since the PQR was designed to show that the filler metal and base metals could satisfy code requirements.

What do you think???
Thanks,
DJ
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-09-2013 00:46
Did you conduct the test as an employee, as a contractor, or for a client?

Not that it makes a difference because the code says the contrctor (the entity responsible for doing the actual welding) must qualify the procedures.

If you have to ask if it is ethical, it is probable it is not.

Al
Parent - - By david bean (**) Date 01-09-2013 04:33
Well i Conducted the original PQR tests as the Quality Control Manager. Now i am a QC inspector for another company.:grin::neutral::red::lol:
Parent - By PWCameron (**) Date 01-09-2013 11:11
You need to qualify the procedure for the company you are currently working for.  You need to do another test.
The information you are holding (MTR's, Test results...) is not your information, it belongs to your past company.  It is proprietary information and is not yours to share.
If you called your old employer and asked them this same question, what would their response be?
PWC
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-09-2013 13:37
I agree with Al that you were an employee (QCM) at the time therefore that WPS and PQR are the original contractor's property.  Also any MTRs do you no good without the material and the material is still the contractor's property.

You may use the information set forth in the WPS/PQR but must physically write another WPS, have tests performed and generate the PQR in the name of the new contractor (your employer).

I've generated many QC Manuals and provided consultanting services for those companys wishing to obtain ASME & NBIC certificates (i.e., U, PP, R stamps, etc) and in every case wrote up new WPS/PQRs and required new testing.  All Manuals are similar but also unique to the individual company.

Most important Mr. Bean, is your name thus reputation in this business.

QC Robert
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 01-09-2013 19:13
Isn't it the main purpose of a PQR to show that a company has the personnel, equipment, and training necessary to properly perform a welding procedure? The new company is going to have different people doing the work, different equipment, and probably different training. I don't see how a PQR performed by somebody else, regardless of who wrote it, would be acceptable per code.
Parent - By david bean (**) Date 01-09-2013 21:44
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree, didnt seem right to me using the old test results.  i will have them retest.

Thanks agian
DJ
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-10-2013 00:59
I am happy to hear you are reconsidering your position on the issue.

As stated, a WPS and the supporting PQR are intellectual property owned by the employer. To "sell" the information to a third party without your previous employer's permission opens you the charges of theft of proprietary information and property. I am certain you were required to sign a confidentiality agreement as a condition of employment when you accepted a position with your previous employer. They could litigate and charge you with breach of contract and seek restitution and damages.

Just to add to the potential woe, your previous employer could present a case that you a violation of the Code of Ethics you agreed to abide by when you applied to AWS to become certified as a welding inspector. Kiss you CWI status good bye. Ouch!

Al
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-10-2013 04:14
Silver lining!

You should be able to generate an excellent first shot Procedure !
- By Dualie (***) Date 01-10-2013 04:52
I see absolutely no problem as using them a as a reference to a starting point for qualifying a procedure for your NEW employer.    Simply put the knowledge you used to write them at the first company was the knowledge you used to write them for the second company.

But to simply use them outright without qualifying them would be unethical
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.4 PQR test results