Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / I have a new one....
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-10-2013 13:04
Anyone else here ever have their welder certificate rejected because the certificate didn't have a certificate border printed on it?
All the information is correct and acceptable per the reviewer/approver, but he says it needs to be on certificate paper for them to accept it....Lawdy, what is this world coming to?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-10-2013 15:24
THAT is totally bogus nonsense, incompetent, illiterate, stupidity.

None of AWS's sample forms in the Annex's show that.  The download forms from AWS don't show or say anything about that.  D1.1, B2.1, B4.0, AISC Construction Manual and Code of Standard Practice all say nothing about that.  There is absolutely no reason and especially NO REQUIREMENT to use 'Certificate' paper with borders. 

I would have to deny any request or "rejection" based upon lack of any documentation proving such a requirement.  You can't show me even a miniscule number of certifications that have ever been printed on 'Certificate' paper with borders. 

I'd better stop.  I'm about to say some things I know I will regret.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 01-10-2013 19:15
LOL, that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard lately.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-10-2013 15:49
That's when you ask him his name.  John Doe is it?  Well, you'll have to excuse me while I go take a John and wipe my doe with the certificate paper I got hanging on the wall around a carboard tube in the John. :lol:
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-10-2013 17:26
Just when you think you've heard it all!
The deviant mind thinks, how long can I put this request off then BACKCHARGE them for the loss of production while waiting for this blithering requirement to be met. Do you have this writing or did it spew from a sphincter disguised as a mouth on the wrong end of the body?

Good luck, I hope you get have some kind of fun/retaliation for this World Class debacle.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 01-10-2013 19:22
OMG I coulnd't imagine.......
I'd play the game, "tell me where this is a requirement please?" and then fohgetaboutit ;)
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-10-2013 20:14
I have heard that said to commercial VO-TECH students.  In particular one very famous (or Infamous) Oklahoma commercial welding  trade school reportedly told all the students in a class that the certification issued by them was a "real certificate".  (It was on a "Goes" certificate paper, and looked "very Official" and very glitzy! )  

Unfortunately this man could not lay out pipe despite his very expensive schooling.  He could weld reasonably well. but he couldn't read a ruler.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-11-2013 12:09
That is something!

Of course appearance means alot when it comes to being a "CERIFIED WELDER!".

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-11-2013 13:44
Now...to be fair... I used to add a certificate border in years past, because it made the welder's feel good about their achievement. But quite frankly this fancy border eats up alot of expensive ink in my printer, so I quit using it and never had any problems until recently with approval of submittals.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-11-2013 14:11
John,

You haven't told us what type of an audit this is, AISC-annual or 3 yr, customer for job approval, city, state, etc.  But, unless this is something that you had in writing in your QC manual to set your paperwork off to know it is officially yours and your guys have met your company qualifications then I don't see where this auditor is coming from.  This is just total nonsense.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-11-2013 14:24
Nothing special as far as an audit Brent, just a customer approval for a job. I helped a small fabricator qualify their people and one of their customers raised the concern about the border not being on their documents for welder qualification/certification. The form is very close to what is found in the Annex, with a few exceptions. ie I took out the table to record RT test results because they utilize the bend testing method, this frees up a little more room on the form.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-11-2013 15:10
:cool: Issue resolved. Customer has accepted the certifications, as submitted.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-11-2013 16:07
And all is right in the world for another couple of minutes.  :lol:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-22-2013 20:30
Double borders with flowers look even better!:eek:

QCRobert
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-07-2013 18:23
Just saw this, certificate paper??? Is that like a 25-30 pound paper with a fancy scroll around the edge?? LOL!!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-14-2013 18:39
John, the problem was the customer thought it was a circumcision, not certification. And that my friend would have warranted a fancy border.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-14-2013 19:03
I'm not sure what changed their minds on the issue...but I'm glad it went away.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-18-2013 01:36
Maybe they read the AWS forum and followed this thread!:yell::yell::yell::eek::eek::eek::lol::roll::twisted::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-18-2013 14:59
Glad to see you able to post more often here as of late Henry.  Hope things are going better than they were over the holidays.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-24-2013 14:25
Maybe take them to the picture frame place and have them build a custom frame and we can hang them in the back window of our trucks! :lol:
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / I have a new one....