Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / trouble seeing
- - By lwtfnd Date 01-10-2013 16:31
I am an instructor and am having issues with one student who has had an eye exam and has good eyes but has trouble seeing the around the puddle in joints and surfaceing welds previous bead ext.
we have tried...
1. lighter filter lens
2. different stance
3. auto darkining
4. cheater lenses
5. additional light over weldment
6. chalk lines
7. different travel angle....
I am all out of ideas for this guy. can this guy "just not weld" he is smart and "gets it" but cant pick up anything around the puddle. any help?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-10-2013 17:08
Have you tried using "his" hood yourself?

I have seen one or two lemons come down the road over the years.

After that...  Make the first straight surfacing weld yourself... Then hold his hand for the next 5 tied in stringers..  Than turn him loose for just 1 pass...  Go back to holding his hand for a few more.. Then turn him loose again.

Talk to him constantly while your holding his hand and making the tied in stringers... Tell him what your seeing.. Tell him the adjustments you are making..  Make the arc long and tell him.. "See I'm making the arc long"  "now I'm putting it where it should be".... See the difference?  Yes?  No?   Ok I'm gonna lift it again... Do you see that?

See th
Parent - - By lwtfnd Date 01-10-2013 17:45
Thanks for the help appreciated but Yes that is what is so frustrating I hold his hands, talk, explain and still nothing. His individual beads by them selves look great, straight, consistent, good travel speed, so he sees the puddle just nothing around the puddle. cant reference where he is on the plate in relation to other beads edges of plate. even when he comes to the end of the plate he keeps going onto the table.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 01-10-2013 18:13
I taught PT at a CC and have had a few students with similar issues but usually trying one of the listed things to change works.  Sometimes all you can do is just keep having them burn up a bunch of metal.  I'm guessing he has watched you.  Sometimes having an advanced student work with him a little helps, not to say your not doing it right.  Even though you are telling him what to do, sometimes they students say they are doing what you tell them to but really don't or they don't realize it.  My guess he isn't using his perrpherial vision and is to focused on the arc.  Sometime students including myself just need to get really close, especially with GTAW.  If the guy can see good then its just a matter of time before he just "gets it" and then a huge light comes on and he is super upset and super excited that it all comes together and wishes it would have happened earlier.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 01-10-2013 19:20
Has he taken a color acuity test?  He just might not be seeing that particular color bandwidth.
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 01-27-2013 01:08
Hi lwtfnd,

I have had students to do the same thing.  I coach the students to have short arc lengths, but in this case I have them hold a longer arc to lighten the area outside of the puddle...for a while.  I also have these students mark guide lines with soap stone.
- By Dualie (***) Date 01-11-2013 01:37
tried ringing the weld path with a file to leave two shiny lines to follow?
- By hvymax (**) Date 11-06-2013 16:45
There are some that "Just can't Weld" for a lot of reasons. The main one I see is that the helmet is much like sensory isolation and many just can't take it. Also focusing on that little point of light in the dark can be hard for some as well. In some similar cases I have taught them to develop and trust their progression instead of reacting to what they are seeing. I have so far been able to get all of my students to make sucessful welds but have not made sucessful welders of every student.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / trouble seeing