Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anybody weld county bridges?
- - By delarosa74868 Date 01-10-2013 18:28
How much actual weld time is there on a small county bridge? I was told that welders in my area(central Oklahoma) that contract out at $65 an hour with the county to come in a weld for them. My boss says that if I want to buy a welder that he will pay me the $65 per hour for the welding and 22.50 for non welding labor.  He dont know how much actual weld time is involved since this is our first bridge. But I am afraid of spending 4 or 5 thousand getting set up only to find that there was only a few hours of welding on the three week project.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-10-2013 20:02
Be careful before yu agree to this rate.  It sounds like it is below the prevailing wage rate or the Davis-Bacon Act required rates.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-10-2013 21:23
Besides Joe's caution, every bridge can be extremely different even if they are the same length.  There is no way for any of us to truly tell you even an estimate of how much time there may be into a bridge for the welding portion. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-10-2013 22:50
Not only what has already been stated but you also have to be insured for bridge work....it is definitely NOT included in any standard welding general liability policy.  It is considered a fringe/special risk by every insurer I know of.  If you had them sign a waiver of liability on the work to some welding standard with inspection to that standard you could free yourself of it, long as your insurance company would not cancel you for doing it if they found out....or they were ok with it with a written agreement in place.  However any job I have done for feds or state had specific insurance requirements to be met just for the privilege of bidding on the work.

Having said all that I have worked for others on bridges that I know for a fact did not have proper coverage, whether insurance or certifications in place.  That was back in the day....it is a little harder nowadays to pull it off without paperwork in place.   If this is a county road dept asking you to do this, you best force them to pull a spec on the work and any state requirements before you ever strike an arc.  If ya go willy nilly at it you may find you spent your money to do a job you will not get paid for and likely have to pony up money on for approved repairs.

just my 2 Cents
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 01-11-2013 01:36
Let your boss rent a welder and then negotiate your pay for welding. That would put the liabilities on him. Sounds like he is trying to transfer his risk and liability onto you.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 01-11-2013 12:51
Well if you buy a welder it is a win-win situation because now you have a welder:grin:  Also you can always weld for someone else on the side.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anybody weld county bridges?