Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Shop Upgrade....Yahoo!!
- - By aevald (*****) Date 01-14-2013 19:58 Edited 01-14-2013 20:08
Hello folks, I have already posted mention of a few items that have changed at our school. Here's a bit more to go with the other items. Our shop essentially is made up of 24 arc welding booths in the main portion of it (8 of these booths were multi-process capable and could support SMAW, lift-arc tig, and wire), nothing overly roomy understand. In addition to that area we have 8 other booths that have been outfitted with GTAW and wire machines, 5 wire, 3 GTAW. Besides those areas, we have 3 more GTAW booths located sporadically around the shop and another 6 or so machines that could be used for SMAW, GTAW, or wire processes to varying degrees in a portable fashion or in conjunction with an existing booth by rolling them up to it and plugging in. We have 3 Lincoln LN-25 suitcase feeders that could be plugged in to various machines and powered with either CC or CV depending upon how we planned to use them.

Well about 6 to 7 months ago we began to look to do a make-over of our capabilities, We had wanted to address the growing need to provide more wire capabilities, standard and advanced, along with better multi-process offerings. We removed 2 Miller Mark VIII's, an "ancient" Lincoln DC 600, and a couple of Miller CP302's. In their place and in addition to them we purchased and have installed: 3 XMT 450's, 5 Miller XMT 350 CC/CV's, 8 Miller XMT 350MPa's w/S-74MPa Plus feeders, 2 Miller 350 Dynasty's, 2 Thermal Arc Powermaster 320 SP's, and a Miller 12VS suitcase feeder. Along with bringing these machines on-line we were able to manifold in shielding gases to the 24 booths originally titled as stick booths and now we have the ability to run wire, stick, and lift-arc tig in any of those booths, we also have advanced wire capabilities in 8 of those booths due to the installation of the XMT 350 MPa's. Manifolded gases include: 75/25 Ar-CO2, and straight Argon. If needed/necessary we have the ability to roll-up bottles of other shielding gases and "plug" them in to provide for better spray transfer capability or allow for other varieties of wire/gas combinations. With our "new" selection of machine combinations we can "theoretically" operate: 12 AC/DC GTAW systems, 37 GTAW lift-arc systems, 41 wire systems, or 46 stick systems. We are very excited about the recent changes that we have been able to implement and we're just about to the point where all of the machines are fully operational. I have included a number of pictures here, some illustrate "old stuff" and others show the "new". Best regards everyone, Allan

EDIT: I have not added photos of some of the other machines yet(don't have any) and you'll notice the racks that our XMT's are set-up in. Local shops donated the metal and paint jobs, we provided the "engineering, fit-up, and welding of them. In addition to the machines that are in racks, a number of carts were built to provide mobility to the other machines and additional ones were built to provide static locations.
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 01-14-2013 22:06
Your going to spoil all your students! When they get out in the real world and are handed a junky tap voltage mig that's on its last legs they are going to start cursing your name!!! :twisted::lol:
That said, I'm jellous and I wish I was one of your students. Very nice looking shop, well done.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-14-2013 22:41
Hello PlasmaHead2, I can surely say that we have had that sort of thought process going through our heads the entire time that we were considering how to go about performing upgrades. We do still have some of the "old" technology lurking in the far corners of our domain. As you say and depending on where a student ends up, they will either feel right at home with the advanced stuff or frustrated with some of the older technology, it's one way or the other. Can't win for losing sometimes and vice-a-versa. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-16-2013 11:38
Hi Allan,
Great setup centralizing all the Millers.
Must be a pain in the ass to change spools in the booth with the feeder up that high?!

Tyrone
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-16-2013 14:11
Hello Tyrone, it's an "educational" moment. Actually it is sort of a pain, yet, it's just another thing that students need to plan before they do. A #44 spool isn't light and they need to be sure that they have prepared properly and enlisted help to spot for them in case they lose their balance. Thanks for the comments and regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-17-2013 05:41 Edited 01-17-2013 14:09
Hi everyone, I thought that I might add just a bit more information and photos to illustrate some of the recent changes we have instituted into our shop. The manifolded shielding gas systems are going to be a big + in adding to our versatility and ability to allow for a large number of students use of the wire processes. Yet, the 2 gases that are provided still limit the consumables that can be used to a fair extent or the mode of transfer in other instances. Thus, I had a revelation and a recycling moment to help to address this. One of our old carts that used to provide a portable wire machine platform was morphed into a multi-bottle cart. We have four different shielding gas bottles mounted on it with separate flow meters on each one along with a quick-disconnect fitting. We can roll this into position next to any wire-equipped booth and simply plug in the required gas mix and go to town. For the time being the cart has Steelmix (an Airgas recipe of tri-mix gases for steel), 98/2 Argon/O2, 90/10 Argon/CO2, and straight CO2, or the booth gasses of 75/25 Argon/CO2 or straight argon could be used. I've included a couple photos of this set-up.

We also gave an old shopping cart a new lease on life and retrofitted it to be used to transport and store 4 voltage sensing suit-case feeder systems (3 Lincoln LN-25's, 1 Miller 12 VS). I've included photos of that also. Hope you folks enjoy. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 01-17-2013 07:42
Well I'm stealing that shopping cart idea, sorry.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-17-2013 11:39
Watch out for that one wobbly wheel!  :lol:

Tyrone
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-17-2013 11:52
Shopping cart genius!

Well done Alan.....  I know how hard it is to leverage capital stuff!

I like all the pics... Ideas for the rest of us.

Also,  notice how the Miller suitcase naturally dominates the Lincolns?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-17-2013 16:44
Hello Lawrence, yes, the Miller is on top (pretty hard to beat the tried and true LN-25's though).......... mainly because it is brand new and we would like to maintain it's newness for at least a while. As to the pictures and stuff. I believe that not everyone has to re-invent the wheel on their own. I try to keep my eyes open and question things that I don't necessarily understand so that I can better grasp techniques, designs, etc. and when I feel that I am able, I try to share with others, as so many have shared with me. The AWS forum has been a tremendous resource to myself and countless others, other forums have provided a host of information also and I learn and share on those as well. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-18-2013 15:24
My guess is the Miller is on top so it is easier to access for repairs  :grin:
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-18-2013 15:50
Hello Blaster, I should automatically know that you would respond that way. In all fairness to either of the models/brands represented. None of the LN's have every been in for repair. Two of them were purchased new (the grey case one is likely close to 40 years old), one of the other black-case ones is approx. 15. The last black case one was purchased used from an electrical contractor, all of them have been faithful performers. The Miller 12VS is a new purchase and has yet to "prove" itself, in it's defense, one of our local shops has a half-dozen of the 12VS's. Approx. 4 years old, they have not had any negative experiences with theirs. Time will be the test for our Miller.............and students can provide a very harsh vehicle to give it a test. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-17-2013 16:45
Have at it Doug, our students informed us that when hard times come to our program they can unload the feeders and hit the streets to do some panhandling/fund raising, LOL. Best regards, Allan
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-18-2013 12:26
The shop is only as good as the instructor and his/her ingenuity and genus to use the tools and materials available.

Learning the art of repurposing tools and machines often separates the successful venture from those that will wither and die.

Nice work.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-18-2013 15:41
Thanks AL, I believe we operate a good program with what we have to work with. Many others out there face similar challenges and tasks. I fortunately have not met very many who don't strive to do it right. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-18-2013 20:01
I would like to add this bit of additional information to this thread, partly because it is a major change in our shop layout/use and secondly because it is something that we should have done years ago and for whatever reason we didn't. I'm going to do one of those scary things and "assume" something here for the moment.

Those of you who are in the educational arena likely face this sort of thing often, students manage to melt the covers on the welding leads near and or in the immediate proximity of the stingers and ground clamps. Taping (heaven forbid), is one of the methods to address the issues of exposed leads (frowned upon by safety folks), using shrink-tube might be another (although rather expensive). We used to eventually change-out the length of lead if it got too bad, not very cost effective either.

With our change in machine capabilities and manifolding of shielding gases we wished to be more versatile and efficient in our change-over technique/procedure. To effect that end we opted to outfit the booths with pigtails/connectors so that we could replace short sections of lead if the stingers or ground clamp whips became damaged. We could also readily and easily switch polarities and process (SMAW, GTAW-lift arc, and wire processes). We fabricated some lead clamps to retain the connector ends and identified the + connector by using a red band of air hose slipped over the end and retained by the connector. At this time we have pretty much decided to keep the stinger whip in the booth area and when we are using the wire process we disconnect the stinger, coil it up, keep it on a hook in the booth. When the stick process is being used we coil up the lead/connector from the wire feeder and hang it on the hook. Our GTAW rigs are kept in a separate location and when the students use them we bring them over to the booth and disconnect whatever process is being used and connect the tig rig with an easy change to the correct polarity, reassignment of the ground polarity, and connection of the argon shielding gas. I have couple of photos that show this entire affair. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Shop Upgrade....Yahoo!!