Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding SS to CS under what code?
- - By Euskera (*) Date 01-16-2013 19:18
Hello everybody:

Under what welding code should be qualified a welder and a welding procedure specification for welding plates of stainless steel and /or weld stainless steel strips to carbon structural steel? If it is under AWS D1.1, what part of the code can be applied?

Thanks a lot
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-16-2013 20:22
You would have to have a PQR and basically using a combo of the codes D1.1 and D1.6.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By dlredd (*) Date 01-17-2013 17:51
Another option would be AWS B2.1. Both D1.1 and D1.6 reference qualification, WPS and WPQR, to B2.1 as acceptable for use (with the engineer's approval of course). B2.1 clause 4.3.10 is specific to welding of base metals with different M-Numbers, i.e. A36 = M1, A204 = M8.

4.3.10 states For the weldng of base metals with different M-Numbers, a procedure qualification test shall be made for each combination of M-Numbers to be joined. However, a procedure qualification test with one M-Number shall also qualify for that metal welded to itself and to each of the lower M-Number metals......

This could be another option to consider.

Darrell
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-17-2013 19:03
- By 803056 (*****) Date 01-16-2013 22:13
You could use either welding code with the blessing of the Engineer, i.e., the Owner's representative.

Are you welding stainless steel to carbon steel, i.e., an attachment of some kind? Are you welding carbon steel to stainless steel, i.e., a brace or a bracket?

If you are welding stainless steel to carbon or high strength low alloy steel I would suggest D1.1 since most of the work involves carbon and high strength low alloy steel.

If you are welding carbon steel to stainless steel I would opt for D1.6 since most of the working with stainless steel. There is an advantage to qualifying a WPS to D1.6. There is no requirement for volumetric NDT before slicing and dicing the welded coupon.

In either event, the qualification will consist of welding a sample of stainless steel to carbon steel. There are minor differences between the codes regards how the WPS s qualified.

For all practical purposes your WPS will be limited to what you used to qualify the WPS, since one or the other material will be considered to be an unlisted base metal. AWS D1.X codes differ from ASME Section IX in this respect. For example, refer to AWS D1.1-2010, Table 4.8, and last line of the table.

Best regards -Al
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2013 19:12
I find the idea of qualifying to AWS B2.1 interesting, but because of the ASME influence on the committee and the inclusions of material specifications not included in either AWS D1.1 or D1.6, the Engineer might be hesitant to accept all M1 base metals welded to all M8.

It is interesting to note the groupings of stainless steels in D1.6. Some alloys are grouped in "A" or "B" depending on the material specification. It complicates matters when the contract references the AWS D1.X structural welding codes. Mixing apples, oranges, and grapefruit always leads to interesting drinks.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By dlredd (*) Date 01-17-2013 22:30
Agreed. I would be hesitant to accept 'all' M1 to all M8 materials based on a single test plate. However using base materials required by the design there should not be any issues accepting a PQR performed in accordance with AWS B2.1. Using B2.1, which addresses bi-metallic, could solve the issue of which code requirements to use......carbon steel or stainless steel.

In reviewing all of the AWS codes, I have immediately available (AWS D1.1, D1.2, D1.3, D1.5, D1.6, D9.1, D14.1, and D14.3). I found all except the AWS D1.5 Bridge Welding Code (and probably rightfully so) references and allows procedure and personnel qualifcation to AWS B2.1. Again use is contingent on acceptance by the engineer.

Darrell
- By Euskera (*) Date 01-18-2013 15:19
Hello everybody:

First of all, thanks for your inputs. The task we are dealing with is to make a tie  (cladding) of a stainless steel AISI 304, 50 mm width, 7 mm thick and 8 m length, welded to a base material made of carbon steel S355JR (ASTM A570, Gr 50).

Once again, thanks.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding SS to CS under what code?