Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / SA Matl Availability More Difficult Than A Matl To Obtain
- - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-17-2013 18:05
Concerning stainless steel materials, our purchasing manager is saying SA material availability is more difficult to quickly obtain than that of A material.  He is also saying it costs more from the supplier.

Being not privaleged to the purchasing dept operations, I do not know if this is true.

Can someone with more experience in this field care to elaborate?

Thank you in advance....
QCRobert
Parent - - By Jovi Zhu (**) Date 01-20-2013 07:44
Bob,

Not familiar with the job of purchasing people., but you just remind me of something.

I remember that my company (ASME S&PP stamp holder) once used an A material for an ASME project. The A material met all requirements of the relative SA specification. The MTR from the material supplier certified its compliance to the A Spec. but not to the SA one. Then got ideas from our AI that as an S stamp holder, my company has been authorized by the Society to certify that A material to the SA Sepc.. All we needed to do was to verify all the SA requirements were met and made a supplementary statement on the MTR for the SA compliance. Our Data Report can then directly indicate the SA spec.

Maybe that is why they call it "Certification of Authorization".

From this point I donot see the SA cost more. Either I donot see any qualification requirement from ASME Code books for the material supplier, or is there any?

Of course, not all the SA specifications completely equal to the relative A ones. If the SA one is tighter or have additional requirements, the supplier will have to spend more money meeting the SA requirement and hence you will need to pay more.

Thanks,

Jovi
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-22-2013 20:48
Without asking, I know that would not be acceptable to our AI but thank you for your response.

When purchasing materials our PO must state A or SA which ever is applicable to the project and code/standard.

QCRobert
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 02-01-2013 20:24
There are charts that state what ASTM specs are acceptable to ASME. in the material part of the code. most specs state right from the get go Identical to astm XXXXX.
So it can be used.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-01-2013 23:39
Mike is right. Most ASME standards are identical to ASTM ones, and this is written on the first line of ASME standards contained in ASME Section II. If I were the inspector I'd accept them. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a extremely severe inspector would not.
As for the price, indeed, the material made to ASME standards that are more stringent than their ASTM counterpart is somewhat more expensive, which is reasonable, after all.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / SA Matl Availability More Difficult Than A Matl To Obtain