Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Yell at me 1 more time I dare ya
- - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-18-2013 03:26
Had to take off work for 1 day for a stock show with my 14yr old. Told the boss in the office said he'd pass the word. Welding boss calls next afrernoon with a rig call told him I'm showing with my da daughter and he yelled at me for not telling him directly cuz for some reason the other guy dont tell him nothing. He is 34 years old with a big head cuz hes the boss why I dont know ive seen his work not impressed. That young prick yells at me again me n him are gonna have a long drawn out fist to face discussion right after I drag fthis ****hole job. I dont have a problem with having a younger boss but I dont take getting yelled at from qnyone. They all think im a nice guy quiet and dont say nothing. Well my 6'9"" 44 year old ass aint taking no **** from a young head swelled. Ass hole so yell at me again I dare ya.sorry for the language
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-18-2013 04:46
Hello Shad, sounds like "venting"? Understand where you're coming from though, have been subjected to BS or frustration from a boss or two because of their own mistakes which they like to pass off on to others. One method to address this is to meet with them face to face, listen to their rant, if they so desire, and when they're done calmly ask them if they are done or if they have anything more to say, then quietly walk off. Maintain your composure and don't react to anything they have to say. Some of the time this infuriates them, other times they get the message and realize how stupid THEY really look. Good luck and Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 01-18-2013 10:55
Shad

Consider the source and continue making them think what a nice guy quiet and don't say nothing you are.

God Bless

Marshall
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 01-18-2013 11:12
I wish I had the willpower to stay calm and just listen but just can't let a good argument go.  More importantly I feel that if I don't say anything, that they "won" becasue I didn't stick up for myself so I have to let em have it.
Not saying it's right and it would certainly help my blood pressure if I could let it.  If only........

Shad, don't worry it'll all get settled out, good luck.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-18-2013 12:35
X2 !!!!!
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 01-18-2013 13:30
Shad, before you get so wound up consider that he also has a job to do and that job involves find work and getting it done. He also has to answer to his boss. Ask yoou self how would he look trying to explain to his boss that reason he failed to cover a job was because he was blind sided by one of his hands failed to inform him he was not comeing to work. Who do you think his boss will hold accountable? Him or you?

In this day and age there is no good excuse for not communicating effectively. I have voice mail at my desk and I have a Mobil phone (with voice mail). I can receive test messages also and there is always e-mail.

Telling some else and expecting them to faithfully get the message to some ones else is not the way to do it (nor does it happen very often). Put your self in his place and think about what you would want some one to do.

I have several hands and keeping track of them takes up half my time.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-18-2013 23:25
Shad, I'm 6'6"  275 Lbs. own the company and STILL have people givin' me sh!t on the phone:confused::confused::confused: But when I see'm face to face Its' always a different story.....:yell::yell::yell::yell::yell: I take it with a grain of salt/have a thick skin.....Kickin' arse AIN'T the answer, when the law gets involved ......you got problems buddy:eek::eek::eek::eek: Never was convicted of a crime but DEFENDING yourself is x-pensive!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:( Can't go and have a beer after work because somebody with "beer muscles" wants to try me on) After that happens a couple times you just say F-it!!!!!! I'll just go home after work and sit in my recliner and have a beer......:roll::roll::roll::roll: Remember EVERY BOSS ain't gonna' be as easy to work for as Ol' Cactus:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: From Pittsburgh : Leg healed up... doctor signed my release.... took my DOT drug test....starting to practice welding to requalify for pipelinin'.....AFTER 6 MONTHS from gettin' injured life is finally gettin' back to NORMAL...Thank the LORD!!!!!!!!:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-19-2013 05:42
Glad your better. And I've had my fair share of bar room show downs cuz the shortest guy in the bar wants a shot at the. Title.1 nite itn was me against 7 bounfers cuz my brother was an idiot. Ive never been yelled at by a boss. Always play the game and follow the rules. Pissed him off again today. Told us to build shelves in a conex and we did . " thats not how I wanted them" almost told him then you should of done it your damn self. But just made suggestions on how to make em his way. Then got told they'll be fine. Thought well then why you *****in. Ya jus cant please people these days UGH
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-20-2013 06:52
Short guys and the title.....ahhh cmon Shad....Im a short sh*t and I ain't got no complex.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-21-2013 19:23
Its always the shortest drunkest guy in the bar that walks up and says i think i can kick your ass. Told a guy 1 nite well lets go.  Grabbed him up thru em over my shoulder and proceeded to walk out the door. Head bouncer asked me what i was doing and i told him the story and he said let me have him so i grabbed the collar of his shirt and handed him over lol 3 weeks later ol shorty apologized be being a idiot lol.
Parent - - By 2006strat (***) Date 01-20-2013 15:55
Yea I drug up a **** hole close to the same reasons a month ago.  It was this pricks first job as a super, he wanted to look good by doing the job with less people "saving money".  That was my first one i drug up.  I usually finish the project i am on. You know though when the company starts treating you like they own you its time to go.  I dont live to work, i work to live...
  It isnt worth your blood pressure or waisting your time.  I tried telling him 3 times i needed help or a diffrent way to weld it.  He did nothing told me i had to do it.  If one spark hit the ground i would be off for 3 days.  Welding 10" galvinised I beam overhead.  I didnt holler didnt say anything.  I droped my leads 30ft, got off the jlg and rolled my **** up and rolled out.  Never felt better.  Got a beer on the way home.  Then went hired in next day at a diffrent outfit.   "dont be owned"
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-21-2013 19:28
lol we're welders sparks hit the groundd continuously what ya spose to do catch them in your rod bucket lol thats ridiculous. Id of told him let me see you do it first
Parent - By 2006strat (***) Date 01-21-2013 19:51
I told the fire watch to hold the bucket.  He did for about 10 seconds.  But when that galvinised started to pop so did he.  I left that day and 5 people left the following week last i herd i ammbanned from that plant and the superintendent is fitting.  Ha ha
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-18-2013 12:16
I worked for one company for about five or six years. I quit them several times, but I never told them.

As one of my friends told me, "You can't screw from home."

Best regards -Al
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-18-2013 14:19
Shad,
True there is no excuse for him blowing off on you. Immature and unprofessional at best, and none too smart on his part at the least. But, it is your responsibility to make sure the Big Boss knows what is going on also. As was mentioned, text, voice mail, face to face is the way to go. In this day and age, texting or email is the best way since then you have a leg to fall back on. In Afghannyland, txt was the preferred method for accountability during air raids
Having been in the construction field since the '70s, I know that fists (tools, or weapons!) can fly at any moment. Seen it many a time. Yeah, we're all bad 2 da bone rough and tough oilfield trash. However, in this day and age of a society ruled by lawyers and law suits though, it's becoming hard to get away with throwing down on someone on the job.
Seen a welder awhile back get run off, I went to shake his hand goodbye and he flipped me off IN MY FACE! Jumped in his rig, peeled out with the dualies squalling  and rig sideways out the gate. The super and office pukes that run him off apparently blamed QC... This has actually happened to me more than once, and makes ME want to go to the source and test out their co-pay on the Dental Plan... Naaa, fork-it, that's why I make the big bucks I guess.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-19-2013 00:22
I don't know what to say other then there's worthless pieces of sh*t all over the world. Can't tell ya how many time I thought of giving my boss the FINGER......I'm so ready to leave my driving job and go back to welding but there ain't much around to be in my own bed every night unless i travel far. I agree with ya no one needs to be treated like that but i think with this crappy economy people think they kinda get away with it because people know everyone is hurting for money.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-19-2013 05:46
It happens agin and im dragging up rite before I kick his ass.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 01-19-2013 20:37
I understand the sentiment and I remember moments from the seventies I'd like to forget. I've never been big enough for physicality to be an option. Now that I'm older (I do NOT claim to be wiser) I don't see how one would come out ahead anyway. It's like traffic. Sometimes I feel like being the 'punisher' but I can't do anything like that. My only revenge is living well so I just go back to trying to get that done. Can't crush idiots. There's too many. And I'm one of them, sometimes, so I appreciate all the forebearance I can get.:grin:
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-20-2013 01:49
Shad, You want me to come Babysit you ?
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-20-2013 15:12
Doesn't need a babysitter, needs a mediator:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:YOU spoiled this guy by bein' nice to him as an employer!!!!! ALOT of a##hole boss/forman/supers out there..... Shad needs to realize/expect that.......( I'd be willing to BET Shad is normally a quite,easy goin' guy, and some di@@head mistakes that as bein' a pushover/ pu@@y)!!!!!!:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-20-2013 19:37
Your Right. I remember one night Shad and I were in the Poop Deck in Galveston. Some guy had to many drinks and wanted to try us on. Shad stood up. The Loudmouth looked up at him,  shut up and sat down. It was to late ! Shad was already Twisted !!!! But, I have to say he did well. He stomped out of there without a fight. I picked him up walking down the Seawall.  One thing I have NEVER forgotten is where I came from !
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-21-2013 19:18
Yea i remember that he needed his ass kicked too but i wasnt in my home town.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-21-2013 19:17
I'm a;ways quiet and easy going til i reach the limit. I reached it when i got yelled at. there was no reason to yell at me cuz the head guy didmt tell him nothing thats not my fault. And he is a jerk ( being nice here) to everybody) his authority went to his head. But i will not take getting yelled at. You have a problem with me just talk to me about it and we'll get it fixed yell at me and youd better duck or run or both. I treat everybody with respect and expect it in return.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-21-2013 19:19
I'm not spoiled. If i screw up then i take the ripping but i followed the rules and still got yelled at thats what pissed me off.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-21-2013 19:20
Nope i can handle it. I'm just keeping my distance and my mouth shut gritting my teeth.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-22-2013 21:38
Shad, you are 100% correct in that he has no right to yell at you. That is totally unprofessional conduct on his part but that’s not a good reason for someone to react in kind. Then that someone becomes no better than he.

As difficult as it maybe, the better option would have be to wait until he finish his tirade, apologize for not contacting him and then inform him he has no right to talk to you in such a manor. Ask him if he would like to continue this discussion in the presence of the boss you did report to other wise there is nothing more to be said, hang up the phone or walk away.

I am only 5’ 10” and never weight over 150 lbs in high school but my Mocking bird mouth was always overloading my humming bird ass so I developed a very effective strategy of always making good friends with the biggest guy in high school. Sometimes I think that’s the only way I lived though it.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-23-2013 06:19
I gritted my teeth and apologized. And sense then I have been burning his phone up with text messages. Letting him know my every move. I think its pissing him off hasnt called or talked to me since saturday lol.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 01-23-2013 16:39
That is a very good move. Keep him backing up and he will have to re-think his aproach.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Yell at me 1 more time I dare ya