Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Another Kid's Inquiry About Welding...
- - By wareagle334 Date 01-20-2013 21:24
Hey guys this is my first post on this site and hope theres not to many other post like mine for you all to answer. Well I'm 18 soon to graduate from highschool about to start off in the big wide world and have a huge interest in welding. I have been awarded a baseball scholarship to a 2 year state college that has a welding programme and I am extremely interested. I have the time, money, and the will to get very involved and want to make a career out of it. The question is after I graduate and let's assume I am an above average welder, how easily can I get into the workforce making decent money(willing to travel anwhere at any time). I am in great shape willing and wanting to work those 15 hour days I've read about and I'm very interested in pipe welding(wow what a surprise right?) but anywhere is a start for me. I work great with others, mentally sharp, dedicated worker, take great pride in my work, and already have a small understanding of what welding is(took a semester long class of learning to use mig and stick welding), but really hoping to get a great understanding of this skilled trade and willing to do what it takes to get there!

Thanks!!
War Eagle
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2013 22:41
Your success is largely up to you.

Take advantage of any training or education you can get. If you have a scholarship and the school offers a program you are interested in, take advantage of the opportunity.

I have been involved in welding since I was 13. It has been 50 plus years of learning. Every job offers something that is different than the last. Each offers a learning opportunity if you keep your eyes open.

One of my mentors told me the one thing that set me part from other young welders was I asked questions and I listened to what the older welders told me. As one of my mentors said, "There is no reason to tell Johnny anything, he already knows everything."

Good luck - Al
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 01-21-2013 00:01
Follow your dreams.  If you can get college credits or a degree go for it.  And, actually knowing how to weld will only advance your career whatever welding industry path you may take.

With hands on welding experience and some college coursework, you could easily find yourself a place as a welding technician, inspector, supervisor, sales exec, or even engineer with the right course work.  Since you have an interest in pipe work, you could end up with your own business supporting oil projects.  I have seen earnings for pipe weld contractors that even exceed engineering pay scales.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Another Kid's Inquiry About Welding...