Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hey guys.....
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-21-2013 17:07
I haven't been around much this past week. My dad passed away suddenly last Tuesday night, hadn't been sick or anything, just collapsed right in his tracks. Been working with my Mom and my younger brothers to get all of the arrangements made to bring my Dad back from South Carolina to Virginia to be buried in a family plot. Been a tough few days, but we'll be OK....I realize that I will always miss him, but the deep hurting is only temporary. We had a great visit with my parents over the holidays and I'll cherish that for the rest of my life. My brothers live close to Mom so they can help me keep her encouraged over the next few weeks and months. Hopefully she can get into a new routine and not feel too lonely at home all by herself.

If your parents are still alive, be sure to give them a hug or a call and tell them you love them(often).
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-21-2013 17:27
John,
  Sorry to hear of your loss and our deepest condolences to you and your family.

Our prayers are with you and yours.

jrw159
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 01-21-2013 17:38
So sorry to hear that, John.  Best wishes to you and yours.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 01-21-2013 18:16 Edited 01-21-2013 21:23
Sorry to hear that.  My condolences to you and your family.

My dad died at age 87 in 1996, and my mom is 94, and in her final days now.  But, she is not suffering any major ills other than dementia and continually increasing weakness.  She is just slowly fading away...She can no longer stand or walk, or lift herself out of bed...

The whole family will be together for a visit with her in April at her assisted living center.  This could very well be our last visit with her.  She says she is now ready to go and anxious to meet her maker now, and she only hopes to not die in a hospital or full fledged nursing home.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 01-21-2013 18:16
John,
I'm so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Deepest condolences and thanks for sharing.

Good advice and it will be heeded.

God Bless.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 01-21-2013 18:31
Hello;
Sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. 

My best wishes;
Matt
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 01-21-2013 19:16
My condolences to you and yours John.
Losing your Father is always hard.
I've tried to cope by focusing on the good memories, and trying to pass on the important lessons that he tried so hard to teach me.

Hang in there Buddy,

Tim Gary
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-21-2013 19:31
Sorry to hear of your loss John. Lost my dad when i was 16. Its tuff butt yore right its only temporary.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-21-2013 20:32
The cycles of life don't mean it hurts any less, regardless of age or health.

You and your family are in our family's prayers. 

Brent
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 01-21-2013 21:48
Sorry to hear that, I hope you and your family will be OK.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 01-21-2013 22:20
John,
Sorry for your loss.

We are just going through a similar thing, my Dad passed Dec24.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-22-2013 03:32
Sorry for your loss John. My wife just flew to Germany yesterday to visit her mother who was in the hospital. There was so much snow in Frankfurt that her plane got diverted to Brussels for a few hours. When she did get there she went straight to the hospital to visit and found her mother passed away this morning one hour before she got there. Death comes at any time, there is no real way to prepare for it.
My condolences.
Carl
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-22-2013 14:01
Carl,
Sorry to hear about your loss as well.  You and especially your wife and the family are in our prayers.

Brent
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-23-2013 07:41
thanks Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-22-2013 20:44
Carl, I'm sorry for the loss in your family as well....

Got a quick story to share. We were making arrangements at the funeral home Thursday night around 5pm, we had finished around 6 pm and went to leave and found it had snowed 4" or better in that hour. Anyway my Mom and I was talking about my Dad(he is a rockhound) and how he never went anywhere without his rock hammer, but we figured it was at their home in South Carolina. Anyway, we went out side to clear off the vehicles to go home and my brother was looking under the seat for a ice scraper and came out with Dad's rock hammer. I ran it back inside to the funeral home and asked that it go with him in his casket....long story short Dad doesn't go anywhere without his rock hammer. During family night, I mentioned it to a few who knew about Dad's rock collection and they were blown away at how that worked out....like if it hadn't have snowed, we would have never had any reason to look under the seat in my Mom and Dad's car.:cool:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-23-2013 02:46
In our church we have a saying, probably not original with us..."You can often explain the circumstances or situation BUT you just as often can't explain the timing".  The Good Lord provided for some levity in your situation that provided some additional comfort as well. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-23-2013 07:45
Thanks John, I only met my mother-in-law once, on a trip we took to Germany 4 years ago. But it broke my heart that my wife went through all that to not get a last visit in.
Its good to hear your dad got his rock hammer. That must be somewhat comforting in these hard times.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-24-2013 03:07
Thats a great story John thanks for sharing. A friend of mines dad took me under his wing after dad passed and always made sure i had at least 5.00$ stashed back i asked him why at first and he said so you always have gas money to make it home. At Ryders funeral i took off my gold chain and st christopher charm and put it over his little hands and reached in my pocket and pulled out 5.00 and put it in his pocket. Tiny Pants pocket wife asked me whats that for and i told her so he has gas money to make it home. God bless you and your family
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-22-2013 10:30
Sorry for your loss John. Take heart that he will be in a better place.

with condolences,
Gerald
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 01-22-2013 11:10
jwright650

John

God Bless You ALL

Marshall
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-22-2013 11:12
Sorry to hear that John and your right. My Grandma passed away two days ago and I was in the area where she lived last summer but did not know right where she lived or have a number and did not pursue it like I should have. Missed the chance to see her. Glad you were able to visit with your Dad before.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-22-2013 12:36
Wow, thanks for all of the kind words guys...I'm blown away. I was truely blessed to have nothing but good memories of, and with, my Dad. If I could have ordered a Dad out of a catalog, I could not have picked out a better Father. All of the ceremonies went off without a hitch and turned out really nice. Thanks again for all of the kind words.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-22-2013 15:23
Hello John, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. My wife and I have lost one of our parents thus far and it has been especially rough on her as it was her dad. Glad to hear that you were able to spend quality time with him before his passing. In my wife's case she has no regrets, nor do I, as we had enjoyed many great times with him. Yet we still miss him all the time and think of him often. I am sure that the legacy of your dad will live on in you and your family members. Take care and rest assured that he is in a great place and is watching over you now and forever. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-22-2013 21:12
I find myself re-reading your words John.
I have a son who I have failed to spend time with. I, myself did not spend as much time with my father as I would have liked, mainly through his work commitments and now I am repeating history! My son sent me a message the other day which cut home, it said 'Your a good Dad, even thought your not around much'.
How much time do we have?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-23-2013 13:04

>How much time do we have?

That my friend is a great question, but I can't give you an answer, so treat each day like it may be your last. :cool:
I just hope that I can be at least half the Dad to my kids that my Dad was to my brothers and I.
RIP Dad.

Guys, I thank ALL of you so much for sharing your thoughts with me in this forum...there are a great bunch of folks in here.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-23-2013 14:14 Edited 01-23-2013 15:46
John, a moment of reflection on my part...

I remember back to when I had just started getting active on this forum and one of my grandsons was killed in an accident.  The way the members of this forum come along side to comfort one another is indeed outstanding and very commendable.  Especially considering some of the disagreements we have on occassion.  But, when the chips are down for one of our own and someone is in need, everyone pulls together.  And without the judgmental spirit that you often see in other places (not just here on this forum, but other forums and groups).  Nothing but kind words and prayer support. 

But, you sir are definitely a respectable, hard working member/contributor of this forum who truly has earned the respect of your peers here and deserves all the moral support we can offer at a time like this.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-23-2013 14:38
Hear hear!
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-24-2013 03:12
You are more than welcome Sir y'all were there for me too and ill never forget it.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-22-2013 20:54
Glad that you at least had a recent visit, even though doesn't lessen the shock to you, your Mom, and family.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-23-2013 12:14
My heart hurts for you. I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Gerald
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-24-2013 02:57
My prayers are with you.
I lost daddy will be 3 years this Feb. You are right the pain passes quickly. My daddy was a roughneck, driller and spent 33 years with Texaco. In his last year he stayed with me. He followed me around on my jobsite visits. We had a great time.
Two weeks ago I hired on a gig with Chevron and ran into a couple of guys that worked with my daddy before he retired. I think how neat it would be for him to ride around with me now. But he is gone. I dont feel the loss, just kinda sad.
- - By Nitesky (**) Date 01-22-2013 02:45
Sorry bout your dad.  You are absolutely correct.  Family is more important than anything
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 01-22-2013 11:42
John,

I am soo sorry to hear that.  I wish you and your family the best to get through this difficult time.

Chris
- - By TB48 (*) Date 01-22-2013 12:10
John

I'm sorry for your loss. May God bless you and your family to get through this tough time!
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-22-2013 16:02
John and Carl, you and your families are in my thoughts!
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-23-2013 07:42
Thanks 46.00
- - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-22-2013 20:00
Sorry to hear that.

I lost My Dad suddenly in '04. Only good thing I can say about it is that He didn't suffer a long decline like so many others We know.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 01-23-2013 00:51
Sorry for your loss, John. I'm glad you had a good one and I'm glad you appreciate him. Keep him in your heart.
Stringer
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-23-2013 06:09
Hey John,

Sorry for not expressing my condolences to you and your family my friend...

I really don't have anything to add but, I can remember when my Dad passed away and I took it really hard for a while because he was my best friend.
So I kind of understand how you feel right now... My Mom is in the twilight of her own life and living in a hospice and I know that when she goes it's going to be even harder on me because she always treated me as her favorite even though she would vehemently deny it...

I will be seeing her in a few days and I call her every day to let her know how much I love her so, you know that I'll be giving her a big hug just like you recommended.

Once again John I am sorry for you loss buddy... "Que Dios Te Bendigas usted y tu familia siempres" = May God bless you and your family always!

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hey guys.....