Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / inconel
- - By weaver (***) Date 01-22-2013 21:21
fellas, i am welding inconel on a flat plate. using 3/32 filler with 140amps and having a hell of a time with oxidation coming out of the weld. any ideas? kind regards, Weaver
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 01-22-2013 21:29 Edited 01-22-2013 21:59
Specifically what alloy?  My first suspect would be shielding gas/material surface cleanliness, the second would be the material itself.  Some nickel based alloys don't make pretty welds because of their composition - not much you can do about that.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 01-23-2013 00:46
Inconel could use a bit of post purge? Assuming everything is clean as mentioned before.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-23-2013 16:43
What INCO Alloy?? What process are you useing? What does this "oxidation" look like.
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-23-2013 23:15
After your done with prepping and grinding are you cleaning it off with a non petroleum acetone or alcohol?  The last time I worked with INCO that was part of our WPS.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 01-24-2013 01:55
Also you might check your gas (argon, right?) because if you've got a bottle of even slightly contaminated argon (it's out there - I return six bottles a year on average) it will weld very hot, resulting in burn through. If your tungsten is staying nice and clean, then of course it's probably not the gas itself but now flow rates and coverage (cup size and shape) would be the next factor?
Agree with JeremyW83 regarding cleaning petroleum free.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / inconel