Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding in a ditch? How lame...
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-23-2013 02:49
Newest gig. All I can say is this is one crazy gig. Just joking with the ditch comment! LoL!!
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-23-2013 02:51
Shawn how is the high rise business going lol you scared yet?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-23-2013 03:12
Your right....the view is great. Hope the wind gives ya a break, and the fits.  Welding is more then a job, it's an adventure!  LOL there ain't very many willing to be where you are bro! Make sure to take some pics when you hit 240!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-23-2013 03:21 Edited 01-23-2013 03:34
I'm saving the straight down looking at my truck pic's for later, especially the 240 picture. I figure if I am at 240 I want to go all the way to the top, an added adventure if you will. Might as well right! Will have to get somebody to snap some pictures of me hanging off the leg welding. Hey Tommy, is your camera crew available? Are they willing to meet me up there?? LOL!!

Ok, here's one, think this is from the top of 120'... or halfway.....
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-23-2013 03:18
Stan these are at 120. Going up tomorrow and they are bringing in another guy to help out so he will be stealing my basket from me leaving me with a harness, positioning lanyard and my trusty climbing skills. This arc flash harness better be as good as they claim it is or my wife will be a millionaire after she sues for my death!! Hahaha!!!

On a side note though, did my first pee off the side of it today, laughed the whole time!!! Not like you can just run to the toilet whenever you need to and held it for 6 hours yesterday and was not going to do that again!
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-23-2013 04:14
Man that looks like fun, I miss welding, guess it won't be long before i'm at it again seeing these pictures.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-24-2013 11:19
Once you finally get into position, all of your cables, hoses, extension cords untangled from around the leg and hopefully not screw up brand new welding lead while going up then get the basket tied off and into a good working position it's not bad. I tend to not look down unless I really have to. Concentrate on my work, the task at hand and try to stay warm!! The welding part is normal welding, no big deal. I have never thought about raising my price for a particular type of job just because it is extremely aggravating but this is one of them jobs or type of work where the next one will see an increase in my hourly rate.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 01-23-2013 06:00
don't forget to yell headache before you unleash a good stream
Parent - - By kswelderman (**) Date 01-23-2013 17:21
that pin would scare me ! but im not a fan of heights either !
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 01-24-2013 00:40
nice deer stand
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-24-2013 01:22
It's supposed to be a door for getting in and out of the basket and the "pin" is bent over so it won't come out and door won't open. I use the term basket loosely, it's half the size of a normal boom lift basket if it's that big. After 9-10 hours in this thing I am ready to get out. You step one step to the right, or one step to the left all day long.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 01-24-2013 03:20
Wow:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-24-2013 22:13
We had to modify a radio tower to carry an added antenna. It was only 1200 feet.

Al
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-25-2013 00:34
You need a stampede string on your hood there Shawn. Be a mother to get up there and all set up and a gust of wind take your hood to the next county. Be careful.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-25-2013 11:11
I'm up to where I'm really concerned about that now. It was blowing so hard yesterday (and only 33 degrees) that it was blowing my arc around. Got concerned about my hood so going to use some paracord and tie my hood off. Just one more rope to manuever around in this oversized basket!! LOL!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-28-2013 01:33
Here's an update..... my truck from 160 feet,
Parent - By mcostello (**) Date 01-28-2013 02:35
Your truck looks mighty good from there, My truck would look real shakey!
- - By Dualie (***) Date 01-28-2013 04:07
the worst part is dragging your lead up there.  everything else is cake.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-28-2013 12:27
Dragging them up and getting them down is a real pain in the backside. They try to tag me out but up that high your trying to push the up or down button, extend lead or gather lead and most important keep from hanging on tower, banging on the tower, knocking off blinking lights and other things with your only free hand. Told them a foot pedal for up and down would be a great idea. There are several cuss words floating over the nation that came from me while going up or down!! LOL!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding in a ditch? How lame...