Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What size compressors do yall have for your home/shop?
- - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-24-2013 01:18
I'm in the works of building a good size home garage and well gonna lay it out so later on I can add a compressor and what not and would like to know what a lot of you guys use in your home/shop that you can pretty much run your plasma off of, all air tools, maybe even some light sand blasting if needed? How many gallons what brand do yall have?

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-24-2013 02:24 Edited 01-24-2013 02:27
I have been using a 5HP Champion on an 80 gallon horizontal tank. It is a 2 stage compressor.
5 HP is about the minimum for serious air tool use, it puts out about 16-17 CFM, and that will power (1) 1 HP air tool continuously.

This is on the low end for sand blasting, needs to use a small nozzle.

Be cautious of compressor ratings. There are a lot of home shop compressors with bogus ratings.
A 5 HP 2 stage should put out 16-17 CFM and draw 20-25 amps @ 230 volts.

Verticle tank compressors drain condensation better than horizontal tanks, that is the way to go.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-24-2013 02:51
I was looking/dreaming at a 80 gallon 7.5 hp 2 stage Ingersoll Rand and it said I think 175 max psi at 24 cfm and it was a horizontal compressor wasn't to bad on the price anything bigger and the price jumps way way up there, so a Plasma of course depending on size should have no problem running off a 80 gallon compressor then I'd assume?

Really be nice to have a compressor worth a darn someday to do any kinda work. Just wanted to kinda brain storm and ask.

Thanks for answering guys
Parent - By crahner (**) Date 01-24-2013 02:26
I have a gardner denver 13 horse engine drive with 30 gallon tank.  It produces 30 cfm and is great for air arcing and will easily run a 1" impact.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-24-2013 03:16
I have a 60 gal. vertical ingersoll it worked good for what i have wished i had a bigger tank is all. Bought new used it for a year then put it in storage when the house got repoed. Think i gave 500 for it on sale back in 2004
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 01-24-2013 03:57
Same here. 60 gallon vertical IR. Bottom wingnut water valve is, like all wingnut style water valves, defective from day one. Otherwise I like the compressor, but as with boats, I now want a bigger one.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-24-2013 04:14
Thanks I looked up the 60 gallon IR and there not bad on price either, I have a while before i purchase one but just kinda thought about this today that it would be nice one day to have a compressor that can really crank out some air.

Me with boats i don't want bigger i just want faster :grin: but soon will have that if i can get the time to build this motor.
Parent - - By kswelderman (**) Date 01-24-2013 15:19
not exactly mine but, we firefighters at our station just bought an IR 80 gallon 7hp 2stage at TSC. on sale and tax free of course for little over 1k. one hell of a nice compressor. i myself have an old single stage 5hp 60 Magnaforce that Orscheln used to sell. works just fine for me . plasma impacts etc.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-25-2013 01:38
Thats not bad and I just looked it up says it is 1899 which is a good bit cheaper then another place I seen online. I really need to check with the place I work at h*ll I maybe able to get it a lot cheaper then that even.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-26-2013 23:03 Edited 01-26-2013 23:12
IR is pretty good choice as far as brands go.  I recommend looking at minimum 80 gallon tanks, that volume sure makes a difference, more volume the less that pump has to work.  Also if you can afford it definitely consider two stage over single...they are way more efficient and last a lot longer.  I was in the right place at the right time when I bought mine..Its only a 6hp 80gal but it does everything I need from die grinders to impacts to painting without working too hard.  .I have seen 80 gallon IR's at TSC for less then 1k occasionally....60's for around $600.  Steer clear of the no name cheap stuff.  Far as sandblasting goes, the quality and high performance equipment is pricey...takes a real pricey compressor to run too.  Those little harbor freight pressurized sandblast tanks will make you pull your hair out...slow slow slow.  Ok for really small things like car parts maybe....or if you like watching the leaves change color on one job.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-26-2013 23:17
Thanks Tommy, I was thinking like the small box type sand blasters you put small parts in, i should have said that in my first post. I don't know if I want to spend anymore on something bigger then a 80 gallon the price really goes way up but who knows maybe I'll get lucky and find one at a decent price.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-26-2013 23:20
I would think these are pretty reliable as well...I have seen a lot of old Quincys pumping away after many years of hard use.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350475_200350475
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What size compressors do yall have for your home/shop?