Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking for lift table with a rotating top
- - By supermoto (***) Date 01-24-2013 21:49
I UT and PT Forged rings that range from 20"-100" OD and weigh up to 3500lbs.  I am looking for a lift table that can go from ground level to waist height and that rotates at variable speeds down to 3 in/sec (for UT and I can go slow enough without exceeding the max 6 in/sec scan speed).

I have emailed several companies and i have only go one quote and it was a manual rotating table.  Everything else is great but the OD capacity and rotoational table top seems to be an issue. 

If someone knows of some great companies that has something like this or can fabricate something custom.  Doing UT and PT on a pallet pretty much sucks.  I have googled and sent out about 20 requests but like I said the one quote and another company asked for more info from me.  That was two weeks ago.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 01-25-2013 17:32
supermoto-
I'm sure you've investigated using weld positioners.  There are some big ones out there I'd imagine could be adapted to your purpose.  What were the factors that decided you to exclude them?  Size, weight capacity, not being able to mount the rings from floor level, rotational speed, other?  The big ones are pricey for sure.  Your need sounds like a very interesting design/fabrication problem.  Depending on the feedback you get here, if it doesn't provide you a solution, I would be interested in discussing the details of your project in further depth.  Wherabouts are you located?
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 01-25-2013 17:44
I have not looked into weld positioners.  I may not even need something to rotate under power, manual is fine but I would like the option for possible future semi-automation for UT.

My restrictions are:
-Adjustable OD size requirements and a maximum weight capacity of 3500lbs. 
       -This maybe something that I might have to adapt but I would like someone else to design and fabricate
-OD is from 20" to 100"
       -Typically I am doing 20" to 75"
-Floor level to waist high.
-Rotational speed will need to variable due to the OD dimensions will change the speed I need to get the 3-6ips
-I am located 20 miles from Charlotte, NC

I sent you a message for my contact info if you would like to discuss further.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-25-2013 19:01 Edited 01-25-2013 19:03
How bout a Hydraulic Scissors lift table? Mount a cheap (or expensive) large OD roller bearing on it with a plate (made or cut to your spec’s) on top of that like a Lazy Susanne.

You could even have a variety of different OD plates
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 01-25-2013 19:09
Yeah a scissor lift is what I am looking for.  That would work but I don't know of companies that can make that type of equipment.  If you know of existing types or companies that could make something of high quailty please let me know.  I am not having very good luck finding anyone.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-25-2013 22:06
Like you have already alluded, Sissor lift tables with lift cap greater than #3000 are hard to find. I found a #3000 (Mechanical Lift Table) at WW Grainger but nothing greater that look like it would work for you.
Another way is if you have a crane or fork lift woud be to put a swivel on a hook and pick your work up from a plate with an eye bolt in the center. Kind a dicey if you don't get it balanced good tho.

You said up to 100" OD but you never mentioned an ID. If you did I missed it.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-25-2013 22:15
I lied. Here is a stock number for MSC industrial suuply of a #4000 electric/hydraulic sissor lift table MSC# 09050113
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 01-26-2013 01:49
The radial dimension any where from 2"-8" which makes the ID that much smaller than the OD.

I looked that MSC table up and the table is too small and no motorized rotational top.

Thanks for looking.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-26-2013 02:52
I have built lots of specialized machinery to suit a specific purpose.  What you are wanting to do is not extraordinary but it would easily get into 5 figures for a turnkey solution. If that is no deterrent, then I can work out a qoute for you after some discussion.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 01-26-2013 03:01
5 figures seems too custom maybe.  I don't have a budget but I am thinking $10k might be too much.  I have a quote for a hydraulic scissor lift table and a manual rotating top that is 72"x72" for $6000. I could use that but I would like it powered top and a little more adjustable.  Maybe someone could take that and modify it. I just don't have the capabilities at my work.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-26-2013 03:49
Definitely custom, one of a kind purpose built.  Too custom...hahahaha  that is a nice way to say it.:grin::grin:  Is it necessary for the table to be able to adjust in size from 20-100 inches or can you work with the smaller pieces on a large diameter table?  The table you were are looking at possibly could be modified, fairly easily, with a chain, belt or tire drive and a good quality variable speed motor....if the table is well made it will not take much of a ($$$) drive motor to operate it.   How well would a static table size, 72", work for you going from 20-100" rings?  Is standing close and comfortable next to the rings as they turn not an important consideration... is it fine to have a 100" table and do all the work from that?  If you can do it all from "x" table size that is a significant cost consideration.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 01-26-2013 16:27
I am not that creative but in my mind I am seeing a table with adjustable jaws that are similar to a vertical lathe bed.  THe jaws wouldn’t touch the ID or OD.  These jaws would be adjustable and only touch the face on the bottom of the ring.  I am envisioning an “L” shaped jaw with the vertical part of the jaw on the center that would be on the ID of the ring in 4 places that adjust in and out from the center location, again similar to jaws on a vertical lathe.

Maybe take a lift table and add a round plate that can add the adjustable jaws and a drive system.

I talked to some of our sales people and they don’t quote rings that require more than 75” ODs.  So looks like a max 75” is only necessary and that will drop the weight MAX down to about 2500lbs.

I could possibly use a static table but if we are spending this kind of money I would like to do it the most efficient way with the most options possible.  My problem with the static table is I don’t want to have to walk around it while tripping over the table or getting dizzy :grin:  Doing UT isn’t that bad but doing solvent removable PT I go around and around wiping and more wiping, blah, blah, blah.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-26-2013 14:42 Edited 01-26-2013 16:41
:eek: How do you propose to load/unload these rings on to what ever you wind up with?
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 01-26-2013 16:58
We have a overhead crane, and forklifts.  Right now everything comes to me on pallets of various sizes and I separate them and do the exams on the floor, sucks balls!!!!  I am 30 and that will make me 40 in one year if I keep doing it this way, or I get a trainee and make them do it and I sit back and watch:lol:  No I really just need something more efficient and ergonomic.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-26-2013 21:02 Edited 01-26-2013 21:48
That is simpler then I was thinking. I hear you on working off the floor...it does not take long for stuff to hurt you did not know you had!!
If I may, why is it important to be able to adjust the table vertically?  Is that a serious ergonomic concern?

BTW.  They have some tables and lifts here.  http://www.surplusrecord.com/general.htm
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 01-27-2013 06:12
I want to adjust the height because I want technicians to choose how high they want it and our rings have various axial heights.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-27-2013 00:38
What you need would be very simple to build but reqiures knowing all the variables.

20" to 75" OD max #2,500. Requires access to the OD for UT.

What range of thickness of the work piece and are the adjacent surfaces (faces) flat or contoured.

Will NDE also be require on the faces or what ever surface the work will rest on?

How will you rig/handle the work to load/unload UT table?
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 01-27-2013 06:27 Edited 01-27-2013 06:29
You are correct UT is required from OD and its also required from one axial face.

ASTM A388 requires faces shall be made parallel to each other and our rings are all rough machined into a perfect ring with various dimensions that are all customer driven. The faces are flat except the OD and ID obviously are contoured.

So the only NDE that is required is customer driven but typically they want the ring 100% PT and two faces UT. So yes the surface the ring sits on will require PT and we have to flip the ring over to complete the PT and then flip it back over to move it to shipping or the next process.

We have a overhead crane and fork lifts to handle the rings.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-28-2013 15:11
Back near the beginning of this post you stated you could live with a manual turning apparatus.

So with that in mind; the original #4000 Scissors lift table I suggest combined with-

#4000 “Low profile Palletizing turn table” or a #4000 “48" Manual Carousel” placed on top of it will serve your needs very well.
I should think!

Total package roughly $7000.

You can find the Turn table and Carousel with the link provided.

http://www.vestilmfg.com/products/ergosol/carousels.htm

Good luck
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 01-28-2013 17:52
oh yeah now that is great.  I would like it to be motorized and more adjustable but this seems like a great option.

Thanks for your help.

I am if someone thinks they can fabricate something and would like to sumbmit a quote or would like more info for a quote to messeage me.
- By Dualie (***) Date 01-29-2013 06:15
just throwing this out there but if your looking to save some coin you could cannibalize a used scissor lift for the lift parts.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking for lift table with a rotating top