Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding school recommendations?
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-28-2013 21:09
As of late, I've been asked by several people from different parts of the country what would be a good welding school.
Anyone care to recommend some good welding programs/schools?
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 01-28-2013 22:03
It really depends a lot on a person's goal.  My opinion is that there is no one best fit school.  Some of the "fast track" high priced welding schools might be a good fit for a person seeking a hands-on only career as a pipe welder.  A talented student might be able to pass a 6GR pipe cert in 6 months and head to the oil field.  But, if the goal is an AS or BS in welding technology then a community college might be a better option for a lot less money.  And, many community colleges offer classes leading to vocational certificates, and then an AS degree if the person wants to continue.  I would refer these people to the welding schools locater at this website after refering them to these basic guidelines.  Some schools have relationships with local industries and work study and co-op programs and even placement into jobs before graduation.  Also, location is an obvious factor if a person has to move to a different city or state to attend school; but, some of the schools can hook students up with roommates, apartments, and part time jobs.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 01-29-2013 00:38
Hobart in Ohio is one of the best.
Parent - By 2006strat (***) Date 01-29-2013 01:15
School of Hardknock University all hands on.  They accept everybody plus you get payed while your learning.(local fab shop)
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-29-2013 02:14
If they are located in the panhandle of Texas, Eastern New Mexico or Western Oklahoma I would recommend South Plains College in Levelland TX. Excellent program and instructors. Fantastic modern facilities and reasonable cost. Degree and certificate programs.
Parent - By bruce69 (*) Date 01-29-2013 02:59
I don't know exactly what part of the country you are looking for but Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg,KS (yes, there is such a place) has an excellent two year program.  I also agree that the Community College route is a good way to go.  Less expensive too.  I would stay away from any for-profit school for welding or any degree for that matter.  At least if you go to a state university of community college you know they are accredited.
Parent - By SMTatham (**) Date 01-31-2013 14:00
Midwest: try Missouri Welding Institute.  It's a private vo-tech; welding is all they do.
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 01-31-2013 15:24
WVU-Parkersburg for a one year Certificate or two year Degree.  Any accredited school would be preferable in the event that you would want to advance your education portfolio at a later date. 

If you are not worried about having a higher education portfolio, I'd recommend Lincoln Electric or Hobart. 

Many new welding job ads ask for the welder to be able to read blueprints.  If you want to advance in the welding trade, learn to read blueprints, some shop math and communication skills.
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-29-2013 10:42
Thanks for the replies all.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 01-31-2013 01:16
I'll vouch for Lincoln Electric in Cleveland.
- - By high_flex (**) Date 01-31-2013 14:17
The school of hard knocks.
Start as a welder helper on the pipeline.
Get good enough to pass your test. Go to work.

Welding schools are too expensive.
Parent - By 2006strat (***) Date 02-01-2013 18:32
Cant go wrong, start as helper get paid to learn.  If you dont like it quit and you havent lost any money on a school that you pay for just to burn rods.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding school recommendations?