Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / It happens BEFORE YOU KNOW IT!
- - By Superflux (****) Date 01-31-2013 17:42
For us that work on the Pipelines and other excavation work.
The ground gives way in a blink of an eye.
This incident happened about 300 miles north of me.
My project down here in S/E Texas has been plagued with torrential rains. Our ground here is made of slippery, slimy clay that sloughs off in large slabs. I am constantly on the workers to keep back from the banks' edges due to this.
It would be a horrible way to leave this life; gasping for each breath that is shallower than the previous one due to the crushing weight of a ton of dirt squeezing down on your chest.
I have known Paramedics/Search and Rescue personnel. They tell me that often the victim, if they live gets hacked up by the shovels and other traumatic injuries during the course of the extraction. Skiers buried in avalanches will get impaled by the probe rods from recuers... Ouch...
Safety first and foremost in every task we perform. Accidents happen, but many are preventable.

I am old school and old. When I started in construction over 40 years ago, we didn't have to tie off when up on the iron (and yes, I was a Union Ironworker in 1973!). And I spent many a day rigging and receiving loads 200 and even 300 plus feet off the ground on boilers not tied off. In 1976, we ran a 120" (10 foot diameter) pipeline with no shoring, trench boxes or anything protecting us. Almost had a Manitowoc 3900 land on me one day from an embankment collapsing. That 120" pipe landed maybe 6 feet from me.
OK, I'll stop my ramblings. But some of the stuff that we used to do, most people wouldn't believe the real story.
There are plenty of Regulations now that make many of the hazards avoidable.

I hope all of us, you, my friends and colleagues in this AWS Forum gets to live to a ripe old age and tell stories to our grand and great grandchildren about what it was like to build America (or wherever you are) "Back in the Day"....
Please be safe for them and yourself.
Thanks,
John
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-31-2013 18:07
Not all of those safety regs are written to slow your production down....this happens at the beaches also...some guy gets a notion to dig a hole on the beach and then it falls in on him and when somebody happens along, there is no way to dig him out fast enough to prevent suffocation. 4 mins without O2 and your brain isn't very happy.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / It happens BEFORE YOU KNOW IT!