Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone Work with SidePlate System?
- - By eekpod (****) Date 01-31-2013 19:10
We just got awarded a project and it's using the SidePlate System.

While Iv'e heard of Sideplate I have never worked with it as either a fabricator or erector.

Have any of you guys worked with it and what did you think?
I like the idea of all fillet welds vs CJP, but not sure about everything else.

thanks
Chris
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-31-2013 22:03
Chris,

I am currently doing the in shop TPI on a Sideplate job going to CA.  The company I am working with is starting a second one in this Fabricator's shops here in AZ this week.

If you have a chance to go through ALL the engineer's structurals and not just the shop/erection drawings you really need to do so.  A lot of questions will be answered.  You also need to go to a meeting they are supposed to have before beginning that covers all the aspects of their holdbacks, one hole dimension, Z dimension (not related to Z-loss), pre-heat requirements, and other specifics.  They usually do this with a powerpoint. 

Their system takes D1.1 & 1.8 to new heights.  Watch your undercuts, arc strikes, and other criteria very closely.  The CA inspectors (OSPHD) are terribly critical, beyond the scope of the codes.  And yes, they will try to get you to reject things that are not beyond any of the inspection perameters.  We have fought back on several items, but they can make it hard on you if you don't just comply with their demands.

The mock ups and seeing them after testing were awesome.  The stress that this system will take compared to standard moment connections is far and away superior.

I hope you are working with a real good and serious fabricator who has a good detailer and is interested in quality.  There are many aspects of this system that won't work if someone messes up. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-01-2013 00:06
Interesting...
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 02-01-2013 03:24
Look up ICC-ES, Evaluation Report ESR-1275.  The report gives very good insight into the SidePlate System.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 02-01-2013 11:28
Great guys, thaks for the info so far.
Actually we are working with a new fabricator and I'm not familier with them so I'll have to fly down and meet them in the next couple of months, they are down in the Carolina's somewhere.
I have to set up a meeting/ power point seminar with the Sideplate Rep, I was told that yesterday after I had posted this inquiry.
I'll keep you posted.  BTW this is an East coast project not CA.
thanks
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 02-01-2013 13:06
Yeah it eliminates UT and CJP's.  Be careful on weld transitions and weld termination dimensions.  Pretty easy to do, as it is like production line, at least that is what it was like with the stuff I worked on.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2013 14:47
I would modify that somewhat SM. 

I have one column that has 84 CJP's on it.  Just none where you would normally have moment connections for large beam to column. 

Also, there is plenty of UT- Pre-Lam, CJP's on continuity plates and base plates, etc.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 02-01-2013 14:58 Edited 02-01-2013 17:54
Yeah you are right, I remember the sideplate people saying it reduces and tries to eliminate CJP's and UT, they seemed to have a lot of MT.

Been a few years since I did it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone Work with SidePlate System?