Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS experation date.
- - By wgaryr (*) Date 02-01-2013 02:42
I understand that a PQR, which qualifies a WPS, is valid (I beleive forever), but is there an experation date on a WPS per D1.1.  Most contractural documentation is the requirement that usually requires welds be qualified to a code, those WPS's would be valid for the duration of that contract. 
If the contract does not specify that welds are to be qualified to a code, but, requires D1.1 be followed, can any age WPS, form any project be used by the manufacturer?

Thanks
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 02-01-2013 04:00
Sir, now I undestand that you're confused.  D1.1 is a Structural Welding code.
Please don't reject my 5years old documents. Our project Engineer will decide and perhaphs approved it.

:cool::yell:
~Joey~
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 02-01-2013 11:18
I am not aware of D1.1 having an experation date.
D1.5 Bridge Code requires that PQR's be redone every 60 months (5yrs).
I know that because I wasn't aware of it during an audit years ago and my PQR was expired by 6 months and I got a corrective action and had to re-qualify the test.
As far as D1.1 Building, I have some older ones that are up to 10-12 yrs old.  As long as the information is relavent and correct there is no reason to change it or update it.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2013 14:36
Nope, no expiration.  I've seen the customer/engineers approve WPS's and PQR's that were at least 10 years old.  And it is their call, not mine.  That is something that is generally required to be a submittal for approval before the job begins.  ONLY if I spot something that smacks of code non-compliance will I shoot off an RFI to see if the engineer missed it and/or wants to change anything.  But if they say it is good for them, refer to Clause 1.4.1 "The Engineer may add to, delete from, or otherwise modify, the requirements of this code to meet the particular requirements of a specific structure."  If they want to assume the responsibility/liability then it is their option. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-01-2013 14:46

>D1.5 Bridge Code requires that PQR's be redone every 60 months (5yrs).

Yup this is correct, see AWS D1.5:2008(I don't have the 2010) Clause 5.3 Duration
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 02-01-2013 13:07
This issue should be clarified in the initial contract and document review.

At this time, the Customer can specify which version and/or issue date is to be used for their chosen regulating code(s), and review the Contractor's documents/procedures for acceptability.
It's the Customer's responsibility to define what they want in the contract, and the Contractor's responsibility to adhere to those requirements after signing the contract, or to define exceptions before hand.
It is the EOR's responsibility to convey the correct requirements as it is his/her liability in the end.
It is the Inspector's responsibility to notify the EOR of conformance / non-conformance of contractual requirements.

This issue often arises when performing additions/revisions to older weldments, or when a customer simply copies an older contract without updating it.

Tim Gary
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS experation date.