Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Differences Between ASME, API, ANSI
- - By hacksaw (*) Date 02-02-2013 23:48
Can somebody please explain the differences in these groups, and their roles in writing codes and other procedures. Is there a hierarchy with these groups?:confused:
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-03-2013 15:47
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-03-2013 16:37 Edited 02-03-2013 16:51
ANSI is a professional organization that has developed a method that a professional organization such as AWS, ASME, etc. can voluntarily adopt to develop national standards. To become an ANSI national standard the document must meet certain criteria. Not to go into a lot of detail, it basically requires the standard to be developed by a committee composed of a balance between end users, academics, manufacturers, other interested parties, etc. No one constituency can monopolize the makeup of the committee. The document must be balloted and all negative votes must be acted on, i.e., it must be revised to addressed the negative vote or the committee can determine the negative is not relevant or of insufficient merit to warrant a change. The final document must be made available for public comment and again, those comments must be considered by the committee.

AWS and ASME develop a number of ASNI documents such as AWS D1.X structural welding codes and the boiler and pressure vessel code sections. AWS and ASME also develop non ANSI documents. Documents that are not ANSI documents are not subject to public review and comment before being offered for sale to the public. The Welding Journal lists which AWS standards are available for public comment. Likewise, ASME publishes a list of ASME standards that are available for public comment in their monthly publication.

API 1104 is a good example of a non-ANSI standard. API only offers membership to US refiners. Others are not welcome to participate except by invitation. Their documents are developed by individuals that are invited to sit on the committee and the documents are not subject to public comment before being released for use.

The Steel Joist Institute is another example of an organization that develops non-ANSI standards. Membership is only open to fabricators of open web joists. The guides and recommendations available from SJI are developed by the SJI. The committee membership is limited to those individuals selected by SJI. Their committees are not open to the other interested parties, nor are their documents open to public review before they are marketed.

From my perspective, having worked with AWS, ASME, API, and SJI documents, it is evident that documents developed by organizations such as API and SJI tend to be self-serving. SJI and API have decided not to comply with ANSI requirements thus they protect the interests of their membership, i.e., the joist manufacturers and the refiners.

There is no hierarchy involved. Each professional organization addresses specific needs or types of construction/industry. AWS covers fabricated structures that are not pressure retaining, ASME covers pressure retaining vessels and piping, API covers refineries, SJI addresses open web joist members, etc. SAE addresses the needs of vhicles used for transportation by land or air. Their documents are available for anyone to use or adopt for their purposes which may or may not be within the scope of their original intended purpose.

Anyone that has inspected an open web joist will recognize the welds do not meet the visual criteria of AWS D1.1. Likewise, anyone that has worked with API 1104 recognizes very quickly the acceptance criteria are nowhere close to that of AWS or ASME. If a comparison between the visual acceptance criteria of ASME Section IX and the acceptance criteria of AWS D1.1 for welder qualification is made, no one in their right mind would permit a welder that is qualified in accordance to ASME Section IX to weld on a structure that must meet the requirements of AWS D1.1. Yet, each standard has been in use for many years and have served their intended purpose rather well. Not that many open web joists fail in service unless someone removes a diagonal web member or a portion of the upper or lower chord member. Cross country pipelines don’t blow up that often and when they do, it is usually because someone has damaged it while excavating next to the buried pipe.

It is the responsibility of the Owner to determine which welding standard is appropriate for the work being done. It is common to invoke more than one welding/construction standard on a project. The process piping is usually design, fabricated, installed, and inspected to ASME (B31.3 perhaps). If B31.3 is applicable, depending on the fluid service the piping may be designated as fluid service Normal, D, M, or high pressure each with its own requirements for design, fabrication, and inspection. The pipe hangers are required to be designed in accordance with AISC which invokes the AWS D1.1 structural welding code. Even with AWS the welding requirements will differ for different loading conditions. The design of the connection and the welding requirements are dependent on whether the connection is designated as statically loaded nontubular, cyclically loaded nontubular, or a tubular connection.

One point to remember is that the contractor performing the work has a responsibility to ask and know what welding standard is invoked by the Owner. Any contractor that doesn’t establish which welding standard is required is going to find it very expensive should anything goes horribly wrong as a result of doing the work improperly. Many states and municipalities have adopted building codes that stipulate what design/fabrication standards apply to different types of constructions. Owners often try to save money by not involving engineers in designing and planning. The owner often does not know the laws or attempt to off load the responsibility on to the contractor doing the work. Smaller contractors typically do not have staff that is knowledgeable or the training needed to make design decisions. The owner then tries to deflect responsibility to the contractor when something does go wrong. No one wins except the lawyers and the engineers hired to sort through the wreckage to determine what happened.

Many of us have found ourselves in situations where the owner depends on our expertise to make decisions that are beyond our capability or what is permitted by law. There are questions we should answer before stepping up to the challenge; are we qualified? Do we have the proper license or is a license required? Do we understand the liability involved? Does our current certification cover the work being performed? Do were have a copy of the applicable code so we can revise the code requirements? Do we have copies of the referenced standards so we can review those requirements? Do we have additional resources we can utilize when needed?

Wow, how did I end up here?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-03-2013 23:31
Lets see if I can cloud Al's excellent explanation.
Process piping in refinerys, chemical plants, terminals, etc. are designed and built per ASME B 31.3. After they are placed in service, API 570 governs inspection and repairs. ASME Section VIII covers fabrication of pressure vessels but after they are put in service API 510 governs the continued operation, inspection and repairs to the vessels. Unless the vessels are boilers, then it is different. ASME B31.4 covers liquid pipelines and B31.8 covers natural gas. They both allow the use of API 1104 , unless the owner decides to allow the welders to be qualified to Section IX instead of 1104. The pipeline could be built to API 1104 standard but qualify the welders to ASME (never seen that happen, but it could).
API 650 requires tank welders to be qualified to Section IX unless all they are welding on is structural then they can be qualified to AWS D1. A Section IX qualified welder can weld or fabricate any part of the structure and attach it to the tank but the AWS D1 welder cannot attach any part of the structure to the tank.
This stuff gets complicated.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-04-2013 02:22
Don't you just love it?

Al
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-05-2013 18:44
Strictly speaking, hunna is right. Or better, almost right, because here in Brazil pressure vessels are designed and built to ASME VIII, but operation, inspection and repairs are governed by NR13, a standard issued by the Brazilian Ministry of Labor.
Now, in my opinion, as in everything in life, common sense (or horse sense, as many like to call it) should prevail.
Example: back in my days of erector engineer I was in charge of the erection of a natural gas pipeline and relative gas compressing station. The pipeline was built first and the compressing station was left as the final stage. The welders that welded the pipeline were transferred to weld the compressing station. All of them had been qualified by API 1104.
In the compressing station there were light structural steel items to weld: pipe supports, walkways, ladders and the like. The client's inspector and me agreed that the welders that had successfully welded the gas pipeline were able to weld those light structural items, with no need to be re-qualified under AWS D1.1. Our decision was confirmed by the big shots of our companies and the whole job was completed on time, to the client's satisfaction.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
- - By hacksaw (*) Date 02-10-2013 00:27
I am assuming that when the word "pipeline" is used in the welding code books ect., they are referring to both process piping inside the plant, and those long pipelines (such as cross country piping) outside the plants that they hire rig welders for. Is this correct? This is causing me some confusion. Because on long pipelines outside the plants, they use different rods ("hippie rods"), and a downhill travel. I always thought this was a different code they were using.:confused:

Another question that I don't understand: The QA at work said that they don't hire CWI's. They only hire API's (I'm working in a refinery). Yet, if I get my CWI, doesn't this qualify me as an API if I take the test under the 1104 code?:confused:

And wouldn't I need a B31.3 endorsement also, since a large portion of the piping inside the plants are fabricated on site? I'm trying to determine what my future goals should be (after I get my CWI, assuming I pass it).
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-11-2013 14:13
I am assuming that when the word "pipeline" is used in the welding code books ect., they are referring to both process piping inside the plant, and those long pipelines (such as cross country piping) outside the plants that they hire rig welders for. Is this correct?
No. Once you cross into the refinery you are working under a different standard. The majority of cross country pipelines are built to API 1104. Once that pipeline crosses into a refinery, plant, etc it will then fall under ASME B31.3. This usually is a block valve, but in some locations is is a fence. And yes you could have one welder welding DH on one end of a joint and another welder welding UH on the other with both welding to a different standard. One to 1104 the other to B31.3. Have never see it as every time there has been a valve where it changes.

This is causing me some confusion. Because on long pipelines outside the plants, they use different rods ("hippie rods"), and a downhill travel. I always thought this was a different code they were using.
It is. Cross country is 1104 and plant is B31.3.

Another question that I don't understand: The QA at work said that they don't hire CWI's. They only hire API's (I'm working in a refinery). Yet, if I get my CWI, doesn't this qualify me as an API if I take the test under the 1104 code?
No. The API 570 Authorized Process Piping Inspector has more responsibility than just welding. In fact that is a very small part of the 570's responsibility. If you go to the API web site, look up the qualifications and responsibilities of a 570 AI. Getting the CWI does not qualify you for the API 570, 510 or 653 certifications. It can help you qualify with education and experience to take the test, but you have to pass a test for each program. And the pass/fail on the first try is still 50% and these test have been around for many years. Be ready to be out around 5 grand to take the test if you have to take off time and buy all the books.

And wouldn't I need a B31.3 endorsement also, since a large portion of the piping inside the plants are fabricated on site? I'm trying to determine what my future goals should be (after I get my CWI, assuming I pass it).
What you take to pass the CWI is irrelevant if you are going for a 570 in the future. I would recommend going with the 1104 for your CWI as the 570 will tax and test you on your knowledge of everything in ASME B31.3 which will include ASME Section V and IX. Then you have a background in pipeline and process piping.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-17-2013 23:31
Hacksaw,
I was digging through old threads for something totally different, but ran into this and thought I'd pass on some advice since you have begun your quest for the CWI...

[they use different rods ("hippie rods"),]
"Hippie rod" is the slangest of slangs and comes from the suffix HYP on cellulose based fluxes and is a Lincoln designation for "High Yield Pipe" in a formula they started marketing back in the early 1970's. This one caught on the Pipeline down hill welding market unlike that accursed E7048... yuck!

One of the most difficult tasks for welders (that most likely received their training from other welders) pursuing the CWI, is learning the proper terminology.
I advise all aspiring candidates to get a copy of AWS 3.0 Terms and Definitions, and the ANSI/AWS 2.4 Symbols books.

I just got off the fone today after an hour plus with another individual seeking the elusive CWI Holy Grail. His questions to me were very reminiscent of your queries posted in the forums. My final advice to him was to just forget the seminar and sign up for the test ($640.00???) near his home in June in Spokane, WA. and expect to fail. His argument was that he does not approach anything with failure as an option. My response was: "This is not about because you will most likely fail the exam, but that you will learn exactly the type information you are expected to know, how the test is structured, and have a far better idea of your short comings. Think of this as a Mid Term Test in your semester of CWI study".
It's only 700 bucks including gas from his place in Moses Lake and a Saturday off from not getting stuck with "HoneyDo Projects". Don't know about you, but some of them hunnydoo lists, I'd gladly pay a $1000 to get out of...
Great idea, and Congratulations on actually wanting to study instead of expecting the miraculous Brain Transplant every one says the Seminar will give them.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-18-2013 03:30
Thats what I did, But I happened to pass the first time around.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-18-2013 13:16
ctacker and hacksaw,

There is a lot to be said for not feeling the duress from pressure of great expectations.
"No try Skywalker, only DO!" as Yoda said to Luke.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 02-19-2013 00:41
An engineer friend of mine took the test recently.  He was really confident that he could pass the test.  He did pass, just barely.  When I called and congratulated him, he thanked me and said, "What I learned from that test was, how much I don't know about being a CWI".  Words to remember because just when you think you've got a handle on it, it slaps you up the side of the head with something new.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 02-19-2013 02:50
I've got over 30 years experiance, and know just enough to get me in trouble. you will never know it all.
I studied for a few months before I took the exam. It is tough but you can get through it without the seminar. If I can do it, anybody should be able to. :grin:
Must be a glutten for punishment, I get slapped up side the head with something new all the time.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Differences Between ASME, API, ANSI