Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.2/D1.2M:2008
- - By newinsp (**) Date 02-03-2013 20:56
I'm studying D1.2 and notice that it provides requirements for GMAW, GTAW, PAW-VP and SW.  I did a search of the code and SMAW is not mentioned anywhere.  The commentary says that the code is limited to the processes mentioned.  I would like to know why, since I've done a bit of Aluminum SMAW.  :eek:
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-04-2013 05:00
I'm surprised that after using aluminum SMAW that you would wonder about that.

I can't imagine using aluminum SMAW and getting D1.2 code quality results.

I couldn't imagine running a PQR with aluminum SMAW   

Yuck!

I'm told that there are some newer SMAW alum electrodes out there that are better....  So maybe you know something I don't  :)
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 02-05-2013 00:30
They certainly weren't the greatest, but I did some fillet welds for a previous employer.  I thought they turned out pretty good, but they were not tested.  The plan was to do the work outside.  We started the job with the SMAW, but finished with a spool gun.  We were told that the rods cost too much? :roll: We learned the hard way that once we opened the plastic on that pack of five rods, we couldn't weld with them the next day-at all
We didn't do anything by a code there, at least until the Coast Guard had had enough.  :lol:  Management also used to tell us that since we had a state OSHA we'd never be fined--they learned everything the hard way.  I could tell some stories about that place.....
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.2/D1.2M:2008