Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI mentorship
- - By 68Stank (*) Date 02-04-2013 18:40
I am fairly new to the world of weld inspection, received my certification in April of '12. Does anyone know of an experienced CWI in the Indianapolis area whom I may be able to call upon for advise or perhaps even shadow for a bit?

Thank you
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-04-2013 19:53
You're welcome to ask questions here. Lots of CWI and SCWI types here. I am leaning pretty heavily on the forum as I am always learning my way through this inspection experience.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-04-2013 20:44
While I agree with John, I also know where you are coming from.  The first guy I got linked up with was the best experience for me in actually applying my credetials to a job.  In a way, I wish that kind of 'apprenticeship' was mandatory.  Way too many of the people I see take and pass the exam are no where near ready to strike out on their own.  Like you say, just to be a shadow for a while and learn the fine points.

Don't know anyone right off the top of my head.  Hopefully someone will.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 02-05-2013 00:56
Hi 68tank! 

I'm new too, as of July of '12.  There are a lot of really knowledgeable and swell guys here.  I ask some really strange questions and the guys are very cordial.  Like you, I'm trying to work for free under another CWI, a friend, locally.  He is almost 2 hours away and our schedules don't line up.  Don't know if it will happen, or not. 

Good luck!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-05-2013 01:32
Hook up with people by attending AWS section meetings!

Very good place to make professional contacts.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-05-2013 03:32
I would offer another suggestion....

Have you thought about investing in your future by taking a 'working vacation' and going to where someone else is and spending all your time learning for at least a couple of weeks.  I'll bet you would be surprised how much you could learn in a short time.  1-2 months may be better obviously but even a couple of weeks would get you off to a better start than totally guessing how many aspects of the job fit together.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 68Stank (*) Date 02-05-2013 16:17
I have found this forum to be invaluable and I have found it to be a reliable source for advise and answers.

So far I have attended one section meeting before I attained my certification, and I talked briefly with a gentleman that had recently attained his Senior Weld Inspector cert. He gave me good advise for taking the exam. Most of the section meetings are a couple of hours away from me so I can't always make it. I think the my AWS section will be the best place to find what I am looking for.

In response to Brent's idea of a "work vacation" that is great idea that I hadn't considered. The problem for me is that I own another business so I can't be gone for two weeks working on one company when I am responsible to my business partner and our employee. However, I will see if this is something I can work out at some point even if only for a week.

Thanks for all the insight fellas.

Dane
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-05-2013 16:56
Dane, if only you were closer. I could use some help every now and again. I could give your fillet weld gages a real workout. I'm heading over to a welding table in a few minutes to UT a couple 2.25" thick cover plates on a W36x256 x 70'(top and bottom flanges). The plates have already been spliced a couple places with a B-U4b, it gets unwildly try to handle that at 70' long, so the next splice is near the middle and they are using the beam flange as the backing(B-U4a) at this last joint.
Parent - By 68Stank (*) Date 02-05-2013 17:35
That would great, if only I was closer. The area I struggled with most on my Part B exam was fillet weld gages. Not sure why, they are pretty straight forward. I think it was mostly test day nerves. That entire exam was like an emotional experience. When I was done my brain felt numb and it took two bourbons to clear it up.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI mentorship