Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Anyone take the Structural Drawing Reading Endorsement exam?
- - By kws129 Date 02-04-2013 22:03
Just signed up to take this beauty to get by the 9 year recert on my CWI.

Just wondering if anyone out there has taken this and what your experience was.

Thanks
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-04-2013 22:42
kws,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Interesting question.  They appear to have changed things.  When I saw your post I went to the 'Certifications' part of the AWS Website and noticed they are now listing the Print Reading Endorsement as an option of the 9 Year Re-Certification. 

Originally it only counted for 40 pdh's and Bolting was 20 pdh's.  Even with both of them you needed something else in order to qualify for re-cert without taking the Part 'B'. 

BUT, I would make a phone call or send an email to certifications dept because the most recent other info I have and in other locations on the website it still says that while it is an Endorsement exam it does not qualify for the 9 Year Option. 

I would want to make real sure before I banked on that in order to get my certs renewed. 

No, I haven't taken it, but I hear it is a dandy.  I hope you are VERY familiar with multi-story print packs.

Maybe someone else here will have more info. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-05-2013 12:01
welderbrent

Maybe he did the seminar thingy in the beginning and only needs 40 now?

Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-05-2013 14:01
I'm going to have to double check that angle as well Marshall (and good morning to you).

I believe, if you take the 40 hour Inspections Seminar prior to your first exam and certification, it's time is already expired before you are due for your 9 year re-cert.  Not positive so don't quote me on that one at all.  :confused: 

As my Section Chair and Section Certification Chair I have a couple of questions I need to direct their direction anyway so I better get with it and try and get some answers.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-05-2013 14:20
Brent

I believe it is that you have to have had 40 of the 80 within the last three years of your 9.

But Good Morning

Marshall
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-05-2013 14:49
Only 20 must be in the last three year section.  But you are correct that one must be careful how they accumulate their PDH's.  Try to distribute them throughout the entire 9 year period. 

It is important to realize too that, though they can help put you over the top, just going to section meetings is probably not going to get you even close to the PDH total to re-certify.  Classes, seminars, continuing education that takes a few hours of your time will be needed. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By cepennington (*) Date 02-08-2013 20:32
If you can read standard structural steel drawings, then you shouldn't have a problem. I have taken and passed both the AWS drawings endorsement exam and the ICC Structural Steel and Bolting Special Inspector exam. Both are very simular. The drawings are actually a little easier to navigate on the AWS exam.

Good Luck
Chuck Pennington
Parent - By kws129 Date 03-04-2013 19:06
In response to everything above. I checked with John Gayler (AWS Managing Director, Certification Department) and he said that the earned endorsement will qualify for 9 year recertification and just that I would have to submit the proper paperwork with proof of the earned endorsement.
Parent - - By 68Stank (*) Date 03-04-2013 23:53
Chuck,

Can you suggest some good study material for the Structural Steel and Bolting endorsement? I see that AWS recommends a couple of books. Did you use these and if so how helpful were they?

Thanks,

Dane
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-05-2013 11:21
Steel Structures Technology Center offers a 4 hr seminar for the preperation of the Special Inspector Certification for New York City.  Although I havne't taken the AWS test , I would think that seminar would give you some helpful information.  Go to steelstructures.com and ask them.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Anyone take the Structural Drawing Reading Endorsement exam?