Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / NCPWB: Have you dealt with them?
- By yojimbo (***) Date 02-05-2013 01:27
Anyone a member or associated with National Certified Pipe Welder Bureau?  I first became aware of them 10 years or so ago but only recently visited their website.  First introduction was through a local ATF doing an AWS D1.1 welder qual and was asking about pre-qualified ASME procedures.  Jump forward to today and the website confirms the literature I had been provided earlier.  The local chapter of Mechanical Contractors Association hasn't returned a call about membership and fees ect. but the website indicates their WPSs and PQRs are legitimate and backed by the UA and acceptable for ASME Sec. IX pipe work.  Input and feedback appreciated.  Local plumbing contractor needs some gas piping done on a commercial job and a review of the city's code calls out all welding per ASME Sec. IX, so it may be time to expand the QA/QC manual with some new WPSs after some analysis.  This is all for some low psi piping but if the documentation isn't excessively expensive it would be a good move. 

Also, can anyone confirm:  per ASME the option exists for either mechanical or NDT examination?  Local lab can shoot a coupon for $200 and provide documents per same based on my WPS/PQR [through the NCPWB].  Don't see any advantage of bringing straps to the Iron Horse if a bend test isn't dictated.

Thanks in advance.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / NCPWB: Have you dealt with them?