Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / One thing I've learned....
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-05-2013 21:49
The one thing I have learned in my short 6 years of full time welding work is this. They don't make jack for welders when it comes to cold weather gear that will actually hold up. Carhart jacket...useless, Carhart bibs, useless. Zipper on the side of the bids blew out on one of the coldest days hanging from the tower(with the snow). Had a nice pocket for air to flow into while dangling. Front zipper on the bibs blew out(huh???) as well. Burned thru the bids in several places on the legs, jacket is trashed and even had the interesting experience of catching on fire around 200 feet. How do you handle catching on fire at 200 feet a friend asked. Well, you flip your hood up, cuss a little bit, shake your head and patiently pat it out with your winter work gloves you bought at walmart because nobody in the industry has thought to make insulated welding gloves? At least I have not found any and using Tilman or any other brand of welding glove while climbing a tower like a spider monkey and you might as well just dive off and save yourself the surprise!! I don't need 20 MIL welding gloves while working in the winter, I've done it long enough to know I don't need to pick up hot stuff and if I do they still make pliers. How about a full length welding glove with some gortex, 3M something and some dexterity so I can still feel what I'm doing, whether I'm climbing a 275 foot tower or welding on the ground. Whats with the welding gloves that are stiffer than a room full of guys at the local strip joint??

One guy said "I've got a $200 set of gortex bibs, nice and warm....but probably not so good for welding". A hardhat and hood rig....what a joke. Two safety's, two positioning lanyards, grinder hanging off the right hip, chipping hammer on the same hip, leather rod pouch, tape measure, cresent wrench all with "beaners" and rope, then a welding hood with a strap so it does not plunge 200 feet and then throw in the cumbersome hardhat rig and then climb in and out of spaces barely big enough for a person?

FR rated shirts should be tagged FU rated shirts, freakin useless. Sure would be good to have if my transformer explodes or the refinery blows and it don't melt the shirt to my body but other than that good for wiping your behind with. Positioning lanyards? Well, you can pick from the 18" chain or the 27" chain. Both work well at higher elevations where the steel is smaller and the rebar hook will actually fit around it. But then the issue is positioning and where you can connect said hook in order to weld AND not burn up your flammable clothing or launch sparks and slag down into your sleeve where it melts your thermals to your arm because they don't have insulated welding gloves that actually leave you with some dexterity so you can climb and not drop off the side like a sack of beans.

They do make a kevlar/nomex positioning lanyard and combined with a 27" chain lanyard you can "Git-R-Done" but adjusting the kevlar/nomex lanyard while hanging on with one hand is an issue all of it's own. At times you can tie on with the chain lanyard, adjust the other and get into position but there were several times up there where between the two I was still saying, "hmmm???". Sit back and figure it out, make it happen.

All I have to say is the welding industry needs to come up with some innovation, better ideas on hard hat rigs instead of the same ol' tired freakin' designs from years gone by. Winter work gear, laughable.

My rant...... If I only had a million or two laying around I'd turn the industry on it's ear with a new hood/hardhat rig, gloves, gear...anybody have a million or two they could loan me???? Looks like I need to go out and buy some new cold weather kindling before the next job!! LOL!!!
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-06-2013 00:56
The best gear i ever had was working at a ski resort in Colorado. I don't know what the hell that stuff was made out of but I worked everyday wearing it and plenty of times I was working in colder then -30 degree weather and some of those times were standing still but those jackets with long jons under it and my snowboarding boots kept me very very warm. There was a jacket that I bought from the resort at the time was 100 dollars which again I wore plenty of time in extreme cold weather in the - range. Here is the link to there website http://coldlizard.com/ I still have this jacket from over 10 years ago which now i need to have the zippers replaced but man it's freaking warm, if I ever get a chance to go down south and work I'm gonna order me another one of these jackets to take down there. This is the jacket I have http://coldlizard.com/product/men/ms-monitor-all-weather-jacket it looks like nothing but I swear man this is the jacket that helped me get through so many of those long cold days and probably is what saved my life walking home from the bars to LOL
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-06-2013 01:22
Looks pretty sweet but wonder how it will handle ol' sparky! :grin: I had stuff burn thru my carhart then thru a heavy wool sweater. I'd hate to burn up a $200 jacket! Youch!!! Looks like a heck of a coat thought!
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 02-06-2013 02:05
You are so right. In the 70's there were some innovations but lately all the gear is made by you-know-who at the behest of accountants and attorneys who don't care about welding production one whit. If you can throw a football they make underwear for like a hundred weather conditions. Your knees won't last the week, but hey it's football. Welding on the other hand means being treated like a Morlok by people who make equipment.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-06-2013 02:29
I've welded with mine but not long though but it will keep you warm. Leather jacket over the jacket but you'll need a crane to send that up the tower for it weighs a ton lol
There has to be some kinda material out there that can handle the heat but if they come up with a jacket that last for years then these companys are gonna go out of business.
I see things being sold in the welding store I work for and i just know that they use to make it better years ago but now there made in China to compete with everyone else but i think it is also so they can make more money off YOU and ME.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-06-2013 05:30
HAHAHAHA   for a minute I thought Lewis Black or Angry Patrick was giving a lecture about welding gear!!  Funny but you are unfortunately correct.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-06-2013 11:59
Yeah the full leather was brought up but I think its the same leather they make gloves out of, stiff as a preacher's root. I welded with plain jane leather gloves, lined with thinsulate and never burned thru the thin leather. The short cuff with nylon type of closure melted against my skin several times. Like I said, don't understand why they think we need leather so heavy, I'm not smelting scrap steel I'm welding.

I think you are thinking about Kevlar and Nomex, very pricey stuff. I've got a number to a place I'm going to see if I can remedy this problem, at least for myself. I'm sick of China made stuff and the Americans who drove us there. I've got a few "welding jackets" from the top two brands, they suck the sweat off a dead mans.......b.... if I may quote "Full Metal Jacket".
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-06-2013 13:06
Let me know if it works whatever you order.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-06-2013 15:51
I called today, waiting to hear back from them. Hoping that this turns into something! You welders will be the first to hear about it if I can pull something off!
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 02-07-2013 03:20
I thought it was "Good Morning Vietnam"...
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-07-2013 11:29
I think you are right devo, when the were reading letters from the troops about how bad Hawk sucked as a dj! What a movie....
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 02-07-2013 14:34
Anytime I drink a lousy beer, I always think "Just a touch of formaldehyde for flavor.."  Bobby Bob beer, best beer in Vietnam.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-07-2013 15:30
Hahaha!!! :lol::lol:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / One thing I've learned....