Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Searching within the forum
- - By jdrmmr (*) Date 02-06-2013 03:37
I've tried different searches. I'm having problems "narrowing" down all the hits to find the answer to my question.

What is the secret as in wildcards to a good search on this forum?

I would like to thank all of those who contribute to this site. It has been a godsend to me.

THANKS
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-06-2013 13:31
Can you give an example of an item that you may be searching for?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-06-2013 16:33
John is right, if we had an example we may be able to give more specific ideas for words to use in your search.

But, if the results of your search get you a couple answers that are close, start looking for other words or phrases within them to define your search better.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jdrmmr (*) Date 02-06-2013 20:59
If I search for “moment welds” I get returns with “moment” and returns with “welds”.  I only want to see “moment welds”.

I’m hoping there are wildcards to make searching easier.

We have a Cadillac in the forum, I just want to add a continental kit and more chrome. :cool:

It’s really a small problem in the big scheme of things.

Again thanks
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 02-06-2013 21:21
I have tried many different forms of searching to no avail so far.  Sorry to be negative.  I tried quotes and booleans and the whole works.   I am hoping someone comes up with a better solution.  Maybe we should ask Ross?  But, Google has the fancy search features and I still find myself scanning 85 pages of weblinks sometimes. LOL
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-07-2013 12:46
OBEWAN,
Another forum that I frequent uses Google for their intial forum search and it seems to work fairly well. For their advanced search, they have text boxes to add additional criteria to help narrow the results.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-08-2013 01:20
Quotes seem to work fine on my end for phrases. Then additional words can be added as needed or multiple phrases.

Google Search also works well but you need to specify "verbatim" from the menu.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-07-2013 12:27
jdrmmr

Moment welds have many facets.

Some are fillet welds some cjp.

If you want to pm me with more of your query, I would be glad to see if I can help.

Marshall
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-07-2013 12:42
Hi jdrmmr,
I'm not much help here with this:confused:...ross may be able to give you a better answer as he knows the forum software a bit better than I do. I've tried several wild cards as well without any bearing on the results. The "help" section doesn't give any instructions at all regarding how to search or how to narrow the results. I looked in the user options and didn't see anything the user could setup either, so I'm afraid I can't help.:red:
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-08-2013 00:52
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-08-2013 04:59
I have the same problem as the OP.
It matters not whether I enclose in quotes, it still will bring up individual words high lighted in red.
Tried it all, playing flip flop with upper case and lower case. All to avail but an infinite number of posts to sort through.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-08-2013 12:17
So do the two links above return the same results ?

The searches with quotes will return only posts with that phrase however individual words with the search phrase will be highlighted. So you may see individual words highlighted however somewhere within that post is the exact phrase.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-08-2013 16:36
No, they are different and the one in quotes IS more refined.
Still gets confusing though unless you can be very specific.
Thanks.
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Searching within the forum