Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Buried
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-09-2013 15:50
What can I say other than we're buried in New England.

We received well over 2 feet of snow. Sooner or later I'm going to have to go out and start shoveling.

I guess the small excavator will come in handy for something. There is no place to push the snow.

Best regards -Al
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-09-2013 16:34
Snow blower is the way to go.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 02-09-2013 16:45
If memory serves you're old enough to remember the '68 eastcoast blackout.  That night there was at least a foot of iced over snow all over the neighborhood you were able to walk on without breaking through.  We spent the evening riding our sleds down the huge hill on our street like a pack of raving hooligans attempting to board and overthrow the other sled riders as we raced down our personal iced over track.  Without helmets!! And we survived!!!!  I'm sure my young niece and nephue in VT are enjoying the hell out of it.  How did we get so old???  Chuck it over, wait it out, appreciate your "snow day" work closure built in excuse to goof off and go have some fun.  What else can you really do?  Even if you get the driveway cleared the roads gotta be too bad to drive.  Thinking just yesterday, Spring is only a month away.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-09-2013 16:50
Well, we didn't get that much out of last night's storm for us, but I drove 100 miles on 4-6" of snow to get to my job this morning. 

Just be grateful you get to stay home.  Last month I was driving back and forth with a couple of feet.  I took pics and sent to my wife, they didn't get as much at home.  But the ski lodge up here is sure enjoying this.  One of the best snow years Flagstaff has had in a while.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-10-2013 12:50
Only two feet?? In Western NY that's just a warm up for the "big one"!! Hahaha!! Enjoy the alone time with that shovel!! I remember shoveling a 300-400 foot driveway and once you get it all cleared out the snow plow guys would come by to cut the bank back for more snow that was on the way. He'd cut it back alright, block the drive again. So, back out and shovel heavy packed snow out of the drive. Never was a doubt in my mind why I moved out of that part of the world!
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 02-12-2013 15:33
Hey Shawn, where in Western NY are you familiar with?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-12-2013 23:29
Good ol' Buffalo! Grew up about 30 minutes due east of there. 40 minutes from Canada, 20 minutes or so from Lake Ontario. Would go back if it was not for snow and taxes! Grew up on Buffalo wings and beef on weck and of course hockey! Was up home a few months ago, hit the joint that started the Buffalo wings and the best place in town for a beef on weck. Probably put on 10 pounds when I was there!
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 02-13-2013 15:13
That's why we moved to OBX from WV.  Got tired of the snow and cold up there.  Good luck with the shoveling.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2013 04:42
I had a great sleigh ride this afternoon. I was headed down the driveway with the excavator to clear the snow the plow trucks had piled high at the end of the drive. The driveway has a good steep slope with packed snow from the activities of the snow plow. Anyway, as I headed down the drive the excavator turned sideways and slid all the way down until I ended up in the middle of the street. It was tense, but it’s been a while since I had that much fun sledding. Those rubber treads don't get much purchase on packed snow. Yahoo!

Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 02-10-2013 04:51
I have family in Portland Maine. They got hammered too. you didn't get a $500 ticket for using the street did ya? :lol:
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 02-10-2013 18:17
Grew up in the N.E. but not in the snowbelt.  The snow plows in my neck of the woods would mount on any regular pickup and get the job done.  Visited family in Syracuse one winter and was floored by the plow blade size.  Some of those plow blades were easily 8-10' tall, absolutely massive and the drifts they'd create roadside were like small glaciers. There was a really steep 3/4 mile hill back up to the house that always had a layer of packed snow/ice on it.  Instead of trudging that home at night, we'd wait for a passing vehicle, and grab its back bumper, lean back, scoot down and "skitch" [hitchike/ski] our way to the top.  Ah......... sweet reckless youth.
Parent - - By newinsp (**) Date 02-13-2013 15:10
Sounds like you'd enjoy surfing Al.  One guy I surf with is 75.  I'm over the hill, but can still keep up with some of the young bucks.  If you try it, you might like it.  It is really good exercise.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-13-2013 16:54
I tried Florida for several months many years ago. I got very tired of the endless, monotonous sunshine and the flat as a pancake terrain.

I like my four distinct seasons. Our winters are not too cold and our summers are not too hot. We typically have a week in the winter where the temperature hovers around zero and a week during the summer that tickles 100, but not like some of the extremes I encounter during my travels to other places like the deep south in the summer or the winters up north. Nice places to visit, but I would not want to move to those locations. I’ve turned down a number of employment opportunities just because I’ve spent enough time there to know I want to stay in Southern New England. I don’t mind visiting other places to complete a job or project, but I’m always happy to get back to New England. The weather might be horrible as my plane touches down, but I know in a few days the weather will have changed.

Once in a while we get a bunch of snow that overwhelms us, but it is nothing compared to places like my next job located just to the east of one of the Great Lakes. The last time I was up there I spent 14 days and it snowed every day I was there. Our recent storm was just enough to ensure life doesn’t get boring. It gives people something to talk about and it makes spring look more inviting.

Well, it’s back to work. I just wrapped up a project where we qualified two new WPSs supported by about 12 PQRs. The paperwork, including all the laboratory test reports and CMTRs, were just short of a nightmare. It did reinforce my conviction that pulse spray is way over rated if the production welding is done in the flat and horizontal positions. Why anyone would want to use pulsed spray on aluminum plate is beyond me. I saw no advantage in using it on steel either. If they were welding the steel out of position, it is worth considering, but for flat production work, no way Jose. However, the customer is paying the bill and if he is determined to use pulsed spray on aluminum, it’s their money and their headaches. It is time for a new project.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By newinsp (**) Date 02-14-2013 03:21
I understand about the flat terrain. 

Have you had to work with pulsed spray on copper?  I did quite a bit of that at my first welding job at a 'by the code book' shop in Charleston, WV.  It was on 1.5" plate and thicker bar.  It seems as though pulse would really only be necessary for really thin materials.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-14-2013 03:29
I believe the keyword in your post was "thin.":smile:

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Buried