Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Catwalk Design
- - By BlueFox Date 02-09-2013 17:39 Edited 02-09-2013 17:41
Would appreciate your suggestions about the design of a self-supported steel catwalk to access the second floor of a stick frame building I am building.

Let me first say that I am not a professional welder and have no desire to become a professional welder. However I do like learning.
In the past have worked on industrial and commercial jobs for many years . As I would scale the many levels of the power plant that we were building I always admired those galvanized bar-grating catwalks.  Have also always admired the iron workers and welders that put them together. I can still remember the call .......... HEAD ACHE and the sound of bolts and tools ringing through the steel.

I don't want to build something out of treated wood that would fall apart in a few years and look terrible in the process. However would like to use affordable steel materials.

Was thinking about building a self-supporting free standing steel catwalk about 3 to 4 feet wide and 11 feet at the highest end  along the gable end of the 24' wide building that has a six foot french door in the middle of the wall that open in to the room. On one side will need stairs in line with the catwalk that will span about 7' vertically. Don't want to attach a traditional ledger board to the building because of possible problems with water penetration.

If you would be so kind to share with me any ideas, specifications, or drawing, especially material choices on building catwalks It would be greatly appreciated.

Someone once told me if you want to know how to grow corn go to the man with the best corn field around and ask him how he did it. Don't wast you time asking the one that has the scrubbie little ears.

Thank you in advance!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-09-2013 18:06
BlueFox, (Great avatar pic)

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

i'm afraid you have aske something that we are very careful about here.  See, we can't see your project, the ground, compaction, type, the building and attachment points, etc.  And right off hand we don't know what type of loads may be involved.

But mostly, there are few engineers here and a project like that really needs the services of a PE.  More than likely, any local building codes are going to require you to have and work off of Engineer Structural Plans anyway.  I know the IBC does and that is pretty well the accepted standard everywhere.  Then, he is going to require that the welding be done to D1.1 standards with welders holding current certifications.  Followed by Special Inspections by a CWI and ending with a visit from the City or County Building Official to make sure all of that happened.

And, even if I just changed your mind and you say forget it, I'll use wood.  Same problem except your carpenters don't have to be certified.  Still need an engineer, plans, and inspections. 

Now, aside from that, you can look up my shop by clicking on my name in the upper left of this post and go to my website and hopefully my son still has some pics of various stairways up in our photo gallery.  We have done lots of them in a variety of styles and materials. 

Good luck.  Welcome aboard.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By BlueFox Date 02-09-2013 18:28 Edited 02-09-2013 18:38
Brent,

Thank you for the sound advice.

Yes the photos of the stairs are still on your website. The stairs look like high quality workmanship.

Great work!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-09-2013 19:20
McNichols should have a website that will show you many different types of stair treads.

I always buy it in the planks and cut them to length and weld them between the runners.  The engineer will originally call out a tread with edges that can be welded or bolted in.  Call them and tell them you want it as the planks.  But, if you let them know up front and even give them the exact number for the material you would like to use then they can run all the calcs and let you know how much weld to use. 

Anyway, let them carry the liability load.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By BlueFox Date 02-10-2013 03:13
Brent,

I will check McNichols website.

Thank you for the tip.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 02-10-2013 18:54
[img][/img]Blue Fox,

The advice you've been given is sound, practical and by all reasonable standards a good idea.  On the other hand there might be circumstances in which you woud choose to decline it.  If I can remember how to attach pictures, I'll post a couple of a stair/landing I did for a homeowner a few years ago working with a limited budget that came out alright and required "design" wherein an engineers input was not going to be provided being cost prohibitive.  It did use a ledger attached to the house, so it's not exactly as you called out but even in the very wet climate of the NW, water intrusion has never been a problem, the attachment bolts were caulked with a silicone sealant and have stayed water tight.  I parenthesize "design" because as you probably know, design is more than an architectural rendering and implies a calculation of the load factors involved in any construction, which is way beyond my capabilities.  Both the owner and myself had many years involved in construction in the Alaskan fishing industry both shipboard and shore side in plants building all manner of structures.  The solutions we used in those circumstances were simply "best construction practice" a term that used to have the meaning that a tradesman ought to know what will and won't work. Most of the engineers I interact with are really great people.  I have the greatest respect for their profession and depend on them regularly for answers and calculations I cannot provide.  But there are situations where I know how to employ my skills and experience, like any competent tradesman, to build a structure as common as a set of stairs and landings or catwalk and provide my standard warranty which I tell my customers is this: Seven days past the end of all time. I have never had a callback or warranty issue.
Attachment: StairElevation.jpg (73k)
Attachment: StairLanding2.jpg (44k)
Attachment: StairwithBamboo.jpg (41k)
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-10-2013 19:46
'Best Construction Practice' a term sadly neglected!
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 02-10-2013 19:52

I don't take your meaning.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-10-2013 19:54
I mean, sometimes that is the best way to fabricate something.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 02-10-2013 20:20
Roger that.  Now if I could only convince the office jockeys at the DOT reviewing handrail shop drawings of that my life would be a lot simpler.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-10-2013 20:42
Yeah but would you have a job?
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 02-10-2013 21:20
Well you're right there- every silver lining has its cloud.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Catwalk Design