Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cost of 30" 9% chrome weld?
- - By Root Pass (***) Date 02-10-2013 17:46
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what the total cost would be for a 30" 9% chrome open root butt would be. I have heard the figure is around $54,000. Could it cost that much in labor, purging with argon, heat treating before and after welding, consumables, VT, RT etc.?
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 02-10-2013 18:26
You might start with pricing the cost for the fitting and assuming a $100 plus per hour labor cost.  Figure $125 just as a ballpark. Assume a GTAW root/hotpass and one filler pass the balance with stick.  Price out the cost of consumables and you'd be surprised how fast it adds up.  I am assuming you are trying to verify something you were told on a jobsite and not looking to estimate a job.
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 02-10-2013 19:21
Yes I am trying to verify what I was told. I can't imagine trying to bid some of these jobs. It seems like someone has figured out how to make money by taking as long as they can to get done. Lol
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-10-2013 19:40 Edited 02-10-2013 20:46
I'm no estimator, but it is real quick and real easy to build up a price for an 'exotic' weld! Dams, Purge, consumables, qualifications  etc.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-10-2013 19:45
"Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what the total cost would be for a 30" 9% chrome open root butt would be".

Not without knowing the wall thickness. And not without knowing the environment and local wages for suitable welders.
30" .375"W will be expensive, 30" 8.00"W will be astronomical.
30" .375"W in the shop will be a lot cheaper than if it's on a scaffold 100' up in a 40 mph wind and sub zero temps or 110+ temp.
RT costs can be significant, especially in remote locations.
The weld will cost less in Georgia than in Chicago. On and on it goes.

J
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 02-10-2013 20:18
Bear in mind when large construction companies are bidding large construction projects their methods of estimating are very far removed from those of us small, 1 or 3 men shops that are doing small fabrication work.  Bidding done on a large project is guided by Project Management factors that really do require a Bachelors degree in PM at a minimum to understand.  It goes way beyond time and materials and markup and employs complicated strategies and business algorithms that are generally beyond the needs of small shop owners and as such beyond their understanding.  One small example would be to look at the RS Means Cost Data which you might locate in your local university engineering library or try a free weeks trial online to access.  Means national cost averaging on a steel stairway is something like $516 per riser, thats w/out handrail or paint, several years ago I  was very surprised to see a 6hour time estimate for a 6" sched 40 pipe weld in one of their books.  Surprised because as a welder I was thinking if it took me that long to make that weld it would be the last one I was ever doing for that contractor.  The other posters point that weather/location/geography play a role is correct.  A 30% efficiency factor needs to be considered when facing inclement weather as per RS Means.  Familiarize yourself with developing a schedule using the Critical Path Method with a little google searching.  The research will likely give you a headache and visualize it's application to something like a HZIG Boiler Construction project with a 500 man workforce.  It gets complicated real quick, is a regular cost of a large company's overhead and keep in mind they will have multiple projects going simulataneously.  See if you can find a price on a 30" heavy wall 9% chrome 90 degree fitting and get it posted.  My WAG is it's gonna be around 10 grand for starters, but for fun, let's find out.  A don't forget to specify foriegn or 100% domestic.
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 02-10-2013 20:42
Yojimbo I'm looking but I have slooow Internet here at the softball field and to JT I should have mentioned .375 wall in a field weld environment. Typical of  combined cycle gas turbine construction projects.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cost of 30" 9% chrome weld?