Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / At it again.....
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-13-2013 03:25 Edited 02-13-2013 03:33
Two weeks ago hanging from the side of a really tall freakin' tower, this week dangling from the bottom of a bridge! Will be working out here for about 3 weeks and won't touch a stinger!
Good thing it's a bridge and I'm up in the structure because gravy is flowing like a river underneath me!! Or maybe that's the real river? Once we get "phase 1" done I get to build all of the shop steel then go back out and install. I love jobs like this, I'll be tied up for months!! I'm thinking I need to change the business name from blah, blah welding service to blah blah welding and construction! Place was a mudhole. First day we used the backhoe to drag the boom lift where we needed to go, then drag it back out. Today and 4 dump truck loads of 2" gravel and we have a road! We have illegally welded braces to remove, new bracing to build, super duper bridge paint to apply and insulation to install on a span of over 500 feet. Going to be another fun one! Enjoy the pics, more to come. Guess I need to work on planning my next big job, perhaps an underground mine?

On a side note, the second picture if you look up on the bank they have new power line poles. They had some ductile iron poles installed as well as the large galvanized ones in the picture. The guys said the electric company started to put tension on the lines and the top of one of the ductile iron poles snapped clean off then tumbled to the ground. I'll have to get a picture of this. It is in a big pile of wire on the ground at the base. They said the company that supplied the ductile poles sent an inspector out and failed 40% of the poles in the ground!! I feel for the manufacturer, this is gonna hurt their wallet!!!
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 02-13-2013 11:28
See any fish from up there? :wink:

Tyrone
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-13-2013 12:11
To much rain so the river's up. Hoping to wet a line during lunch if the river drops down again! :grin:
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-13-2013 12:41
Are they going to let you straighten out that kink in that mess underneath that bridge?:twisted:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-13-2013 15:49
That's actually what I'm doing up there. That kink in the picture, I wish I could say it was the worst one but down the line there is another one which is worse. Oddly enough it did not leak until we started trying to shift it back straight. Good for them they were able to cut it off and divert it so we have a dead line. It's a slow go. Replace hangers and rods where you can, raise the pipe up off the bracing with the new hangers. Then move down, shift the pipe a little try to get rods and hangers in to raise the pipe, move, shift, move shift all with great care not to ding the bridge in any way. I was thinking about 2-3 weeks to get it straight but I'm thinking that will be a bit off. Onces it's straight we have to replace all of the joints with split flanges and fine tune the pipe location from the centerline of the outer beam and height off the bridge. Doing it by the hour and been doing work for these folks for years so you go out, bust your hump and they bend over backwards to get anything you need.
Parent - - By pipetommy (*) Date 02-13-2013 15:55
Looks great Shawn.  Another nice job.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-13-2013 18:39
Thank you, thank you, I try! :lol: Going to get more pics as we make the zig zag straight. They say there is good small mouth fishing right there and catfish!! Might have to land one for lunch one day!!
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 02-13-2013 23:31
Fishing at work or working at fishing? Im not confused but the end result smells good! Thanks for the pics cumminsguy!
Parent - By pipetommy (*) Date 02-14-2013 17:21
Absolutly and grill em.  Doesn't get any better than that:cool:
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 02-14-2013 01:36
Shawn of topic but who made the wheels on your truck?
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-14-2013 01:51
I was thinking the same, that truck does look really good.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 02-14-2013 04:19
NASA height towers and now vertical pipelines in distress. Is Bruce Willis on your speed dial?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-14-2013 12:11
:lol::lol:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-14-2013 12:08
Jeremy, they are Eagle Alloy's. Not sure of the style number on them. It's been a few years since I got them. When I get a chance to clean them they shine up nicely.
Parent - - By 2006strat (***) Date 02-14-2013 19:59
You must hate wakeing up and going to work right now.  Getting paid to pop a luer.  I would run some lines before i left for the day and check them in the morning.  Uuuuuhh...... Need another welder?
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-15-2013 05:48
Shawn if ya get board Ill swap...you come rebuild this furnace and I will try to cope with that bridge...yea?  Next time we do a.gig  there needs to be some crappie fishing involved!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / At it again.....