Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Maximum Fillet Weld size
- - By Darrell_B (*) Date 02-20-2013 19:10
I am working within D1.1.
I am sure there is a maximum single pass fillet weld size per electrode (wire) size, but I sure can't find it. Am I wrong?

Can someone point me in the right direction? Many thanks!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-20-2013 19:19
The only limitation for a prequalified WPS regarding max single pass fillet weld sizes is listed in Table 3.7.(except for weathering steels-Note c) For the single pass fillet to meet Table 6.1 and Figure 5.4 it will mostlikey limit you to a smaller fillet weld size than listed in the Table if you use a really small wire and maintain all of the WPS prequalification requirements in Clause 3. The Table is not limited to any wire size perse' but physical limitations will govern with smaller wire sizes.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-20-2013 20:23
Darrell,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

I'm going to rest with John's response for the time being.

Now, is this who I think it is??

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-21-2013 11:52
Nope, not who I thought.  Interesting connection.

Welcome though to this forum.

Hope you have your question answered.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-21-2013 04:39
The only reference I see to "Maximum size of Fillet welds" is in AISC Steel Construction Manual, 14th Edition, p16.1-111, 2b.  The information there only relates to leg size in relation to material size and weld length.
Parent - - By Darrell_B (*) Date 02-21-2013 18:18
Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated. It's great to find this forum- I am sure I will be back.

And to Brent: Sometimes I am not even who I think I am.......:lol:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-21-2013 21:53
My son's name is 'Darrell'.  Our last name is Boling.  He is my shop forman and studying for the CWI exam with D1.1.  I am working a job 100 miles from the shop currently.  It just struck me as I read your OP that my son may be asking a question trying to get an item straight in his head. 

Anyway, I talked with him that night and we both had a good laugh.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Maximum Fillet Weld size