Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wet Welding!
- - By Len Andersen (***) Date 02-08-2003 18:45
Fellow AWS'er,
I am an engineer with five patents in welding most of which pertain to wet welding and + 20 years of experience with it. It is not magic and I would be happy to answer any questions about it.
Sincerely
Len Andersen
lenandersen.com
914-536-7101
weld@spemail.org
Parent - By CHUB380 (*) Date 02-08-2003 23:34
Please explain more, When to use it,what equiptment required, benefits over conventional welding ect. Thanks Chub380
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-09-2003 10:15
Hi Len

When you talk about "wet welding", is this "underwater welding", or is it something else?

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 02-11-2003 13:20
Niekie,

There are generally 2 types of underwater welding. "Dry" underwater welding is usually done inside a chamber or habitat and the surface being welded is dry, but typically under a pressure greater than 1 atmosphere. "Wet" welding is what folks normally think about when underwater welding, the surface being welded and the arc are in contact with the water.

Marty
Parent - - By scmait (*) Date 02-10-2003 16:19
Please explain further!
Parent - - By kpauley (*) Date 02-10-2003 16:22
We're Waiting!
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-10-2003 17:45
All ears are turned toward this post.
A funny story while we wait for Len to reply.

We had a state safty inspector come through our shop a couple years ago and he got our safty manager (who understand nada concerning electricty) worked in to a frenzy because the termals where we attache the stinger leads to the welding machine were not insulated.

His remark was that someone could trip and fall across the positve and negative termanals and get killed.

My remark was Heaven forbid that the weld ever touch his work while holding the stinger.

I am just wandering what they would think about welding under water. I didn't think about it at the time but I have been knee deep in water while welding many times. That hardest part about that is loading a rod in to the stinger.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-10-2003 19:13
Good Story Ron!
I know what you mean about welding while standing in water. Changing electrodes can be an electrifying expierience!
One time a while back I was in a rush to switch leads on an old stick welder. I was in a hurry, had two wrenches at hand, and two hands to work with so I thought why not save some time by turning both wrenches at once. Of course I did'nt bother wasting the half second of time required to turn the machine off first... Anyway, the resulting shock did'nt kill me, but I use it as a good excuse for diminished brain capacity when I screw something up...
Tim :)
Parent - By kpauley (*) Date 02-10-2003 20:11
I can Relate. I was walking some VIP's through the shop (in July...Hot)when one of my welders, who was sweating profusly, reached over the weldment he was working on to grab his stinger. After flopping around like a beached catfish for about a minute, the VIP asked me if the guy was alright. So I asked him and he said "Yeah, But I'm going to have to charge you for the show!" KP
Parent - - By Dave (**) Date 02-10-2003 20:25
C'mon guys, lets have some real fun...turn the high frequency on!!
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 02-11-2003 12:50
Hey Len!

Where did you go? You have an audience thats wants to know more about Wet welding.
Parent - - By M.L. (*) Date 02-11-2003 12:50
Try TIG welding with high frequency start while standing in a puddle of water.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 02-11-2003 12:55
No thanks!
I have sweated enough to soak through my glows and thats bad enough.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-11-2003 13:35
Are you still monitoring your post? Lots of onlookers are waiting,
John Wright
Parent - - By kpauley (*) Date 02-11-2003 20:38
OH! Lennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny, Where are you?
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-13-2003 12:36
I am beginnig to think Len is all wet.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-13-2003 12:50
Does anyone else know about this topic? Wet Welding. I'm curious as well about the principles of how this works. I've heard of this down at the coast, but never witnessed it. I could see how the torch would work, but an arc? Lots of shielding gas to keep out the atmosphere(water)?
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-13-2003 12:52
Another thought,
How do you preheat? Water would be a big heat sink. I guess low hydrogen rods would be out of the question?
John Wright
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 02-13-2003 13:54
Here's a link to a good source of info on underwater welding:

http://www.supsalv.org/pdf/cut_weld.pdf

It is a large pdf file, so give it time to load.

Marty
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-13-2003 16:03
Marty,
That is some interesting reading. Very informative! Note that there are several pages of Safety Notes and Warnings.
Thanks,
John Wright
Parent - - By mcavana (**) Date 03-15-2003 02:01
LENNY?!?
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-15-2003 02:33
How about if we all call the phone number posted and ask?
Parent - - By Rich Date 03-15-2003 20:01
The worst experience I've had with wet welding was when my partner urinated on the column I was working on. What a stench!
Parent - - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 03-23-2003 06:15
Maybe all welding is wet welding -- after all, I'm always advised to watch the puddle.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-24-2003 12:11
Ken,
When someone says "watch the puddle" they are referring to the one you are about to step in, when you have your hood down.
Oh, Lenny! where are you?
John Wright
Parent - - By KiwiTrev (*) Date 07-29-2004 02:43
Hi,
Just scanning some old stuff on undewater welding and I saw the great wait here, been a while hasnt it??
Also noticed Mr Anderson included his email somay be he meant to say drop the questions to him personally?
Im gonna email him & see cause Ithink a person of his calibre should replyon the forum so we can all learn, if a replyhas been made I couldnt find one & my apologies!!

Trev
Parent - - By backpurge (*) Date 07-29-2004 08:39
Hi guys, greetings from across the pond.
Great web site, have any of you checked out www.ukwelder.com for the Brit perspective on things, as the saying goes "two nations divided by the same language!"
A few years ago I was working at a diver/welder training school in the north of England. We had a rookie diver on a wet stick course, he seemed very nervous but we took him through all the safety procedures etc, did all the gear checks then threw him in the water. I started the training exercises with him but I couldn't understand a word he was saying back so thinking there was a problem with the coms link we dragged him out. All the coms connections were fine and worked perfectly ok so we put him back in, same problem, so out he comes again.
After explaing the problem to him he looked a bit embarrased and said one of the older divers had told him when wet stick welding if you have any fillings in your teeth it is vital to keep your mouth as wide open as possible, otherwise when you strike up your fillings will arc up on each other and weld your teeth together, so he didn't dare move his mouth when speaking.

Cheers - Bob
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-29-2004 13:04
Now THAT was a good one! Thank you for the bit of humor. (I might even be able to have some fun with that!)

Chet Guilford
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-29-2004 14:55
Bob,
That is too funny! I second the "Thanks" for sharing.
John Wright
Parent - - By KiwiTrev (*) Date 07-30-2004 05:31
Hi all,
Does this Len guy exist??????????
All I get from his3 email addresses are the same reply refering to finding him across from the stock exchange near 20-30 cops?!
He must be a fuuny guy....
Still would like toknow his slant on U/W Welding.

Trev
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-30-2004 16:25
He will post in here every once in a while. But he did start this thread and then never followed up with any info about it.
John Wright
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 07-30-2004 21:46
Did you check out the website address he posted?

http://www.lenandersen.com/

Parent - By KiwiTrev (*) Date 07-31-2004 00:08
Hi,
Got a reply from Len; "YES!" that was it!

So I think he means to direct Questions direct to him which doesnt help the FORUM thing really, so if you do read this Len hope all is OK and maybe give us all some good advise online.

Thanks in advance (no penalty interest charged!!)

Trev
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-31-2004 15:57

Welding Sticks ???

:)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-02-2004 19:28
L,
them 7018's have really good glue.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wet Welding!