Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / vortec big block carb conversion
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-22-2013 15:34
Has anyone swapped the fuel inj. for a carb...? Need to know if a performer intake will work.
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 02-23-2013 18:17
Did the intake have throttle body FI originally? If it did you can put a carb on it but you will have to buy an adapter. Summit racing sells them. BTW...How ya doin?
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-03-2013 04:59
I'm doin good. No, it's a 96.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 03-03-2013 23:35
The only one I have seen is a marine intake manifold. Probably a couple mfgrs out there that make them for marine use. The bolt pattern in the Vortec heads is different than the older engines. Last time I was at the lake I camped next to a guy who had a Magic with twin 502's with carbs, they were crate Vortec long blocks.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 03-04-2013 00:11
Personally im through with carbs,   modern EFI is superior in damn near every way.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-04-2013 02:42
I agree. Fuel injection has come a long way since the '80s, and even then some of the systems were better than a carbs.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-04-2013 03:06
Modern fuel injection is still very expensive that's one of its draw backs. This is just my opinion but I keep at least one vehicle I own with no electronics. 1 to teach my kids, 2 to keep it original and 3 because I am nastalgic that way. Same reason I like my old sa200's they are simple, reliable and easy to work on! Nothing wrong with the new technology either, I sure do like my new truck!
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-04-2013 08:51
Amen. I didn't ask anyone about how great fuel injection is. I'm camming and carburating a vortec engine...
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / vortec big block carb conversion