Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Copper Backing
- - By jstepp (*) Date 02-25-2013 19:51
I'm very interested in the copper backing for groove weld qualifications.  This could save my company some money in the long run. Does anyone have any experience with them?  Is there a certain thickness I should be looking for?  Copper alloy and, if so, what kind?  Reputable supplier?  Whatever information I can get.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-25-2013 20:35
Have you considered Ceramic "peel and stick"?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-25-2013 21:15
Say a little more about process, amperage, material thickness etc.

There is a big difference between copper backing for GTAW sheet grooves and Subarc or FCAW
Parent - - By jstepp (*) Date 02-25-2013 23:05
The material is 3/8" A36 using GMAW.  The backing we use now is 1/4" A36.  We use .035 solid core wire at 26 volts and a wire feed speed of 560 ipm.  I have heard of using ceramic backing.  Is it as good, or better?  I think using a consumable backing is a waste of time, money and manpower.  I really want to try a re-usable backing, but I need to sell it to my boss.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-26-2013 13:57
This sounds like D1.1 work...but would like to hear more about it before commenting one way or another about the backing or suggesting anything as a substitute for the 1/4" A36.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-26-2013 15:45
I believe John is getting to the point of saying that only steel backing is prequalified if you are working to AWS D1.1.

Since you may be working to a code other than D1.1, we must know what fabrication standard or code you are working with. It will afect the response you receive.

Al
Parent - - By jstepp (*) Date 02-26-2013 18:22
I didn't even think about the fact that I am using a prequalified joint design.  I just found 3.13.2 in the D1.1:2010.  Sorry for wasting everybody's time - but, thank you for getting me back on track.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-26-2013 18:49
Glad to help. :cool:
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-27-2013 04:10
Al 

I was thinking the same thing... But only had a moment to glance at the code book and couldn't find the clause and verse that specified the prequalified status of steel backing only.

Can you throw us a bone here :)   ?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-27-2013 04:13
D1.1:2010, clause 3.13.2

Anytime.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-11-2013 17:09
Been gone for a couple of weeks taking care of a multitude of work, family, church, and AWS AZ Section business.

I'd like to ask another question here gentlemen:

Has anyone referenced Technical Inquiry for "Other Than Steel Backing" made per D1.1:2008?  The response is that other backings may be used on prequalified joints where the backing is to be removed and a fillet weld used to replace it after clean up by grinder or other methods.  Referenced 2.17 & 5.10 in their response. 

Subject: Other than Steel Backing and Prequalified Joints
Code Edition: D1.1:2008
Code Provision: Subclauses 2.17 and 5.10
AWS Log: D1.1-08-I02
Inquiry: Can the use of backing “other than” steel be considered prequalified where back-gouging and
welding is performed on the second side?
Response: Yes, provided all conditions for a prequalified weld are met. Backing other than steel
is not a prequalified substitute where steel backing is required.

So, I suspect you may use ceramic or copper (or others) where it will be removed and welded from the second side, but not if it is to be left in place or is not able to be properly cleaned and welded from the second side because of space or other limitations.

Thus, the OP may be able to use copper or ceramic to back up his weld without going through the PQR process if conditions are acceptable. 

????  Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Copper Backing