Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thermal Arc 3 in 1
- - By Superflux (****) Date 02-27-2013 05:08
These have been out for a couple of years now, and so I figure they should have worked the bugs out of them by now. Was wondering if any one has experience with them.
http://victortechnologies.com/products/detailProduct.html?prodID=W1003181

Contemplating this or a Miller Maxstar 150 and a separate mig machine.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-27-2013 15:37
Hello John, we have 4 of the 181i 3in1's in our shop. I really like the arc and the inductance control for the GMAW portion of these machines, can't say that I am as impressed with the SMAW part though. They flat don't like cellulosic electrodes, E6011 or E6010, E7018 does run well on them, I have not had an opportunity to run the GTAW, yet, although I am not too worried about that so much as TA has always had a decent DC GTAW machine and I am pretty sure that these will perform similarly. It is my understanding that the 211i and the 252i machines have addressed the cellulosic rod issues and do perform well with those electrodes. Just my $.02 for what it's worth. Good luck John and enjoy whichever machine you end up getting. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-27-2013 15:55
I watched a guy weld an 8" flange on the roof of a building in Atlanta with one of those Maxstar 150's. It was midnight in June and me and the other guy with me went out on the roof and took a nap after the first hour of waiting. The maxstar was new to me back then and asked him why he did not use a 1/8" 7018. He said it won't hardly run a 1/8" and the duty cycle was awful. Think it took him two hours to weld that flange or longer. Can't say he was the best welder in the world so that probably had a bit to do with the long ciesta we had on the roof. It was nice though, how many people get to take a nap on the roof of a 24 story building in downtown Atlanta!

Don't know anything about the Thermal Arc but will keep watching this thread.
- By odleo Date 02-27-2013 06:39
I have the TA 211i for the past 8 months and I like it better than the 181 that a friend has. the arc seems to be more crisp in the 211i to me. Plus I like the ability to use either 110 or 220 power with my 211
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thermal Arc 3 in 1